PDA

View Full Version : Tick Tick Tick because

Mikesone
26-02-2007, 11:37 PM
Hi
Interested in if any of you guys have any ideas on the tick, tick, tick of the lash adjusters.

I know there are the larger lash adjusters available (I read they are 3mm as opposed to the standard 2mm) but I would be concerned that if there are 24 of these with a higher flow rate, would this not possibly reduce the oil flow to the rest of the engine, and certainly in tweaked engines, and in extreme cases possibly cause damage due to oil starvation elsewhere.

I was thinking along the lines that the tick of the lash adjusters may start as the oil pump wears and so oil pressure is reduced.

So my question is has anyone replaced the oil pump to cure the tick, and did it work.

I did see a thread fairly recently discussing engines that had blown up and possible reasons/causes why, be interesting to see how many of these had had the lash adjuster upgraded.

Thanks

Kieran
26-02-2007, 11:54 PM
Given how small the lash adjusters are, I really can't see there being an oil pressure issue. Certainly I don't know of anyone who's had oil pump issues in the club at all, with the possible exception of White Lightning.

Honestly, I've been at Mitsubishi Notts with one of my cars and seen a 50,000 mile GLS was in having it's adjusters replaced - the service manager said it's very common.

Also, think of it this way, new adjusters aside, changing/flushing the oil nearly always quietens them down again. If the problem was oil pressure related, I would not expect this to make any difference.

What you will eventually find is that they do wear out - for sure, fresh oil helps and can stop the problem starting or (with regular changes) prevent it getting worse if you use a quality oil *cough*Amsoil*cough*, but eventually the return springs inside the lash adjusters will give up and you'll have to replace them anyway. But with the possible exception of Nick Mann, I don't know of anyone else who's got that far.

bradc
27-02-2007, 01:29 AM
Considering how much oil is being pumped around I doubt it would make much of a difference to be honest.

As Kieran said, replacing the oil pump probably won't fix it, the hole in the adjuster is so small that any extra oil flow would just go through the larger holes in the engine anyway.

Is it even possible to get uprated fuel pumps for VR-4's?

Paul Beazer
27-02-2007, 08:39 AM
Is it even possible to get uprated fuel pumps for VR-4's?

I presume you mean oil pumps Brad?

As others have said regular oil changes and flushes help a lot in preventing / stopping the dreaded tick tick tick. May i also suggest an additive that Wynns (or similar) do that is supposed to help clean the tappets as you drive. My V6 has done over 100k now and never had a peep out of it.

Gly
27-02-2007, 08:41 AM
proma mbl8

bradc
27-02-2007, 09:07 AM
ahh yeah something like that Paul :)

Nick Mann
27-02-2007, 10:45 AM
My understanding is wear on the lasher or dirt in the lasher that causes the lasher to stop adjusting. It's nothing to do with oil pressure. Also, if my understanding is correct, there can't be much flow through a lasher anyway, as it is under hydraulic lock most of the time?

Curing the ticking is a new set of lashers at worst, or a good flush and decent oil at best. I honestly don't think the oil pump has got anything to do with it.

I-S
27-02-2007, 10:56 AM
K and I got my GLS (now at 112000 miles) to stop ticking with a two-stage flush followed by 5W30 Amsoil.

Now it's come back because it's no longer got Amsoil.:bigcry:

psbarham
27-02-2007, 06:45 PM
the pressure would be the same if the hole was 10 mm , its a captive space so once full the pressure would stay the same , its all about how quick the oil in there gets pressurised by the charged oil from the pump that affects the tick tick tick . bigger hole = faster charge time = no tick tick tick