PDA

View Full Version : Failed WOF... /Grrr

Rosco_NZ
27-02-2007, 06:31 AM
/Grrr took her in for a WOF, failed on a rear tye rod coupling?(not right name but can't for the life of me remember what its actually called) only $28 for parts though which is good, mates toyota failed on same thing and cost him like $900 coz they only sell it as part of a whole suspension asembly or something...

so $267 or something for parts/labour/wheel balance/wof.

but THEN it also failed becoz the exhaust has 4!! holes in it... (worn out from scrapping on the ground so much) so will go see pit-stop 2mrw.

any idea how much to replace the whole thing? preferably de-cat etc. i guess the muffler is the most expensive bit? will try get them to raise the exhaust up as much as possible while they at it. im guessing between $500-800?

i could just patch it but may as well replace it since i wanted to open it up and let it breath a bit better anyway (eventually.... just implementing that early now).

Gly
27-02-2007, 06:49 AM
700ish for a basic 2.5-3" system with only the rear muffler...
will be loud.

$8-900 for a 2.5-3" with rear muffler and a couple of resonators..

(based on stainless mandrel bent piping and shiney rear muffler)

/me hugs his 3" stainless FGK cat-back y(road legal, jasma approved) only $200 :P

Rosco_NZ
27-02-2007, 07:04 AM
what about if they use the stock muffler?

Gly
27-02-2007, 07:11 AM
maybe save 200-250

bradc
27-02-2007, 07:13 AM
I think most of the pitstop mufflers are $200-$350. You could pay up to $1500 for something like mine with two mufflers and turbo downpipes as well. I think $700 is about right for a single exhaust from the cat backwards

CANDEE
27-02-2007, 09:18 PM
Have a talk to Glen & Shayna at Maidstone Mufflers in Upper Hutt.. They quoted me $660(approx) for a 3" mandel system from the flexi with two resonators and a super turbo muffler.. :)

Their phone number is 527-8577 or they are at 29 Queen St(next to firestone). :)

d i c k i e s
27-02-2007, 09:25 PM
damn. where did you go bro? VTNZ?

Rosco_NZ
28-02-2007, 02:16 AM
Nah went to brendon motors in abel smith street.
they are really good. only ended up costing $190 for the tie rod end, freight, wheel alignment and WOF.

got it booked into pit stop for friday, see what they quote.. the flexi is one of the bits with a hole so that needs replaced. Upper hutt is a bit of a mish to drop it off etc etc, but if the pitstop quote is on the high side then i might give Maidstone Mufflers a buzz.

probably just do the whole system, headers and all. not to worried if its straight through and LOUD, infact it might be quite good.. :evilgrin:

will see what options they suggest, main thing is for me is getting a WOF, and raising it so it wont bottom out so often. If the fact that it HAS to be fixed gives an excuse to the mrs:iloveyou: to put in a better performing system then so be it.
might even give a bit better fuel economy.:scholar:

CANDEE
28-02-2007, 09:05 PM
Glen should be able to do the whole lot if required.. i think he was roughly estimating at $450 for the down pipes.. :)

Rosco_NZ
01-03-2007, 09:33 PM
Getting the lot done, new system right from the extractors, new-flexi *dam thing is whats costing the most*, De-cat, 2 reverbs, RPS 403 performance hi flow muffler with removable silencer, de-cated, 2 reverbs. still 2.5" i think.

didn't get new headers/extractors, guy (who has a leggy himself, though only a baby gdi) didn't think it was worth doing them as they are still good nick and thinks theres not much point on a turbo, wont notice the difference. but should notice quite a difference from the rest of the system.

i should have took some pics while he had it up on the hoist, poor thing was a mess riddled with holes... personally i blame the previous owner *hmm* will have to avoid those dam speed bumps, can't afford to raise it now...

$900 all up which is about what i as expecting. or i could have just got a new flexi, and replaced the sections for about $550 went for the performance option, guess i wont be getting a ps3/xbox360 for a while.. byby savings.

d i c k i e s
02-03-2007, 03:51 AM
hahaha... nice rosco. im still humming and hurring about modding the car. but yeah, bye bye xbox 360/PS3, big TV, etc... hello modified leggy!

djb160
02-03-2007, 05:37 AM
Whats de-cat. Same as a cat or am I missing something? Do we have to have cats(legally)? Can anyone point me to a good exhaust writeup for our cars.

Rosco_NZ
02-03-2007, 05:46 AM
Just picked her up and went and got the recheck for the WOF

she sounding perreetyy i must say...

tho im a bit pissed they couldn't get it higher to the car arround the diff, there is like 2.5inch above the pipe where they could raise it there, but haven't

wouldn't take much to bend it. might go back in on monday and enquire.

but at the moment ;-) its pretty sweet

bradc
02-03-2007, 06:51 AM
djb, they aren't a legal requirement yet, may as well enjoy the noise while you can :)

Rosco, post some pics up so we can have a look.

Gly
02-03-2007, 09:05 AM
if they used all the original mounts they wont have been able to raise it much at all

Rosco_NZ
03-03-2007, 01:54 AM
yup will get some pics soon, tryed to get some just now but all the ones under the car didn't turn out coz contrasts all wrong

but attached the external ones atleast and one under car one.

will see if i can photoshop the others later to cut out the light and increase brightness etc etc etc

bradc
03-03-2007, 02:49 AM
The end looks quite high, but it is very low in the middle

Rosco_NZ
03-03-2007, 04:47 AM
just drove out to lower-hutt with a carload
and it scraped multiple times just driving on a flat road past the beehive etc..
thought it must have detached and started dragging
but after looking with ppl in the car its honestly only clearing the road by like 3-4cm. legal limit is 10cm i think. so its just not good enough.

ill go back and see what they can do about making it as high as possible (even though i already asked them that...) but one of the bits that scrapped basically couldn't be raised so looks like ill have to get some new springs for the car
quite annoyed i sold the adjust about apexi's now. anyone recommend some place that can get some lowerd springs? but obviously not as low as ive got now...

**** it, i cant afford this **** right now :-(

mpau009
03-03-2007, 06:08 AM
just drove out to lower-hutt with a carload
and it scraped multiple times just driving on a flat road past the beehive etc..
thought it must have detached and started dragging
but after looking with ppl in the car its honestly only clearing the road by like 3-4cm. legal limit is 10cm i think. so its just not good enough.

the 100mm thing is only for structural parts, the lowest point i found on my STR when i took it for a cert is the guard pieces below the front arm things, other stuff like exhaust, bodykits etc dont count, becuase they arent going to stop the car if you get a flat or something breaks. But it will be a monster pain if you bash up a nice new exhaust.

Iv smacked my mostly stock one several times, usually its just sparks, but i did a big one, that partially crushed a section of pipe, which i'm sure cant be good for performance..

bradc
03-03-2007, 07:27 AM
They should be able to tuck up most of the exhaust in the same position as the stock exhaust, next to the driveshaft.

On my exhaust there is a very low bit underneath the diff, it is about 40mm from the ground, but I've never hit it on anything because it is right on the centre line of the rear axle.

Kenneth
03-03-2007, 11:22 PM
sounds like bullox. I had a 3" exhaust and it didn't go anywhere near the ground. maybe they just think it too hard to route it properly.

Gly
03-03-2007, 11:31 PM
yeh thats arse!
my FGK 3" is no where near as loow as that...

looks like they havent used the rear hanger where the exhaust bends behind the diff

Rosco_NZ
04-03-2007, 12:38 AM
yeah will see them 2mrw see if they can raise that bit,
however on inspection the bit with the scrap marks is one of the reverberators (or whatever they have to put in) about half way between the axles, and it doesn't look like it will raise much.

im impressed with the performace increase though, reckon its got ALOT more pickup from idle. and doesn't sound like its labouring the same above 5000rpm just keeps winding up... sounds wicked arround 5000rpm to.

2000-2500 it drones like bitch... which happens to be about where it sits at cruising 50 or 100. on the motorway i went into tip-tronic and dropped it to 4th and once ur above 3000rpm it doesn't drone it quitens down and just sounds really nice. so its "go deaf" or use a bit more petrol and have more response under the right foot.... hmmm

/rally :afro:

bradc
04-03-2007, 12:48 AM
I found with my system it was really quiet at about 2400-2500rpm which is in the 105-110kmh range, which suits me perfectly :D

Kenneth
04-03-2007, 12:56 AM
I found with my system it was really quiet at about 2400-2500rpm which is in the 105-110kmh range, which suits me perfectly :D

thats going to change with your manual gearbox though... until you change the gear ratios that is. have fun at 3000RPM at 110km/h :P

bradc
04-03-2007, 01:36 AM
look for my most recent thread in the gearbox section :)