PDA

View Full Version : front sus getting higher

pitslayer
27-02-2007, 08:29 AM
has anyone come across this before...my back end is sort of sagging.....my suspension is stiff all around....but my front sits higher than the back...and it drives like it aswell...the front suspension is higher than the back, but the back seems to have stayed a constant level since i have owned it....the front is just jacking its self up....and it drives like the front has been jacked up, the car seems to wander when turning, over use of steering wheel.... i know ive got a knuckle to do on the rack...but surely that cant be making it go higher?
ive also got a knock coming and going on drivers side of car. kinda sounds like someone throwing a rock in the wheel arch......
ive got no suspension leaks/seaps....all shocks are stiff
i have got a sub in the boot, but thats been in there since i got it near enough....so its not that, and theres nothing else in the boot......
the front end is just getting higher and higher????

cheers

Gly
27-02-2007, 08:33 AM
whats the condition of your coils?

are cracking?

pitslayer
27-02-2007, 09:08 AM
havnt checked, just waiting for the front end to fall off to be honest...i currently dont really have access to ramps so cant really tell what there like

Paul Beazer
27-02-2007, 01:19 PM
havnt checked, just waiting for the front end to fall off to be honest...i currently dont really have access to ramps so cant really tell what there like
Shocks seizing up?

pitslayer
28-02-2007, 09:42 AM
all the suspension moves freely....theres no wobble in them, as in a knackered shock, but they move as tehy should....its getting worse, feels like im driving on flat tyres.......and yes i have checked my tyres recently they are fully inflated all around

ralliart-type-s
02-03-2007, 11:36 PM
Maybe the engine fell out?? Dunno mate, sounds a bit whacky. What about the tracking?? If its toeing in this would cause the front to lift.

pitslayer
05-03-2007, 01:26 PM
tracking was done its also now knocking like a *******, all over...and i mean the whole front end is knocking like a *******

White Lightning
05-03-2007, 01:30 PM
tracking was done its also now knocking like a *******, all over...and i mean the whole front end is knocking like a *******

Oh dear ... you are not having a lot of luck at the moment ... if it's that bad surely it most be visible what's wrong. Have you checked that all the bolts etc are tight in the front suspension ? I would start by looking at the drivers side as you suggested you had a knocking noise coming from there. Funny thing is I get a knocking noise there with mine sometimes and we can't trace it but it *may* have only been there since I changed the wheels to the ones with a lower offset ...

Or maybe you've got a knackered engine mount somewhere ... not sure if this would cause the high suspension though ...:thinking:

The Vee
05-03-2007, 05:26 PM
You're absolutely sure that it's not dipping at the back, making the front appear to rise? If it is the front rising on it's own then somehow a spring may have become unseated, which is unlikely or the clamp bolt holding the the link from the bottom of the strut to the lower arm may be missing/snapped. If the link has moved down the strut and jammed (which would be against the weight of the car) this could give it a higher setting. If that were the case I wouldn't really want to run the car 'till it's been checked / repaired...................
Just had another thought, wouldn't affect ride height, but are the top mounts tight, and the damper piston seated in it's rubber bush ok in the middle of the top mount

edit for mods - have left this thread in VR4 section as it's the same suspension set up

pitslayer
05-03-2007, 08:40 PM
the front suspension hasnt been touched, the back isnt dipping, the back is at sensible hieght and the same height as my dads rear suspension.....things i can find so far
tyres barely touching the road what it feels like
the lower arms seem to be knocking
the steering rack is knocking
it knocks when turning around in a circle
it seems to wallow badly to the left around corners, ie you go all the way around a roundabout, and 3/4way around someone throws a fishing line into the wheel and starts reeling it into the curb
the suspension is banging
when driving from cold it seems to lurch, kind of like someone is grabbing teh left driveshaft to stop it from moving momenterially then lets go
it feels hard to turn when driving
my steering wheel seems to turn more than the wheels, kinda like 90 degrees on the steering wheel, will turn your wheels little......
i cant take it to a garage and just throw money at it, i cant afford that, think the engine mounts are going aswell as the gearstick moves back and forth occasioanly in first and 2nd

psbarham
05-03-2007, 08:50 PM
have you checked the driveshafts ?

ralliart-type-s
05-03-2007, 09:50 PM
Engine mount m8. the weight of the engine is on your d/shaft and not the body shell. This has the effect of making the front end lift cos its got no weight on the springs. Would also exp the d/shaft being grabbed feeling and your cv joint bouncing on your sump.

Cezco
08-03-2007, 03:53 PM
I have the same problem with my car. It seems to wander where it wants to... My anti-roll bar bushings are shot mind. So I'll see if changing them makes a difference.