PDA

View Full Version : Air/fuel gauge Electronic question

Louis
27-02-2007, 04:12 PM
Posted this before but didn't get a reply, anyone know??????????

Air/fuel gauge Electronic question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Will a standard air fuel gauge be able to read a signal from a wideband sensor?, or is there a way of electonicaly adjusting the signal or the gauge to make it suitable?.
I know there is a voltage difference with the send from each tyoe of sensor, I think one is 0.5 and the other is 0.1, so can a standard gauge be adapted, or will it read the signal anyway?.

Nutter_John
27-02-2007, 04:22 PM
anything is possible , post up the details of the wideband and the gauage and i will see what signals they expect and check if there is an easy way of coverting the values

Louis
27-02-2007, 04:37 PM
Cool, I will dig out the info later.
I believe that the wideband has an extra wire, (which I believe is to heat the sensor).

Eurospec
27-02-2007, 05:01 PM
Wideband, typically, has a 0-5v output. Different sensors sometimes have different scaling.

Normal 'narrowband' afr guages run from 0-1v.

However, lots of wideband O2 sensors and controller boxes associated with them provide for a narrow band output so that you can feed a std ecu input or even a std guage.

Most widebands provide a guage/control box with the sensor which is a boatload more useable than even a narrowband guage hooked to a wideband's scaled output.

In my own car i have both. The wideband reads out in 0.01 afr increments, the dancing led's on the narrow band afr guage dont even think about moving for a change of even 0.1afr.

What narrow band is useful for though is an easy visual indication that the car is entering closed loop.

Cheers,

Ben.