PDA

View Full Version : Neighbour advice please?

Paul Beazer
28-02-2007, 11:13 PM
I live in a terraced street so all there is only on street parking. My neighbour has converted his front garden into hardstanding, fair enough. EXCEPT they have 3 cars. They now seem to think that the space in front of my house is now their space and are constantly juggling their cars so their third car is in front of my house ALL the time. Out of the last 3 weeks, we've been able to park in front of our home for perhaps 7 days max.
Over the weekend they had their car in front of our house and NOTHING in front of theirs at all. Tonight they have nothing on the hardstanding and all 3 of their cars in the street.
Im getting really hacked off with this, not because my car isnt in front of the house, but jean cant park anywhere near. She has a bad back and our 11 week old son charlie to carry about. Its not fair on the rest of the street either as the more spaces he takes up, the less for the rest.
Trouble is there isnt anything legally i can do about this, if he was a reasonable man i'd try talking to him, but he's an ignorant tw@t who couldnt care less, just as long as his car is in front of their or my house. When we actually get in front of our house, he parks their cars within 4" of ours, just to be spiteful.
IM REALLY PISSED OF WITH THIS. I know if i do take him to task im likely to smack him one, 'cos he'll come out with some smart arse answer and i'll will have to hit him (I havent hit anyone for nearly 20 years, so im not some ham fisted thug).
Has anyone got any suggestions (reasonable or otherwise) about how to resolve this?

jayjay99
28-02-2007, 11:27 PM
Maybe start with a polite letter saying what you just said, just a suggestion, I'm no good with these things. He can take it two ways, he wont want a confrontation and try to avoid it by doing what you ask or near to it or he is the kind of guy that 'don't give a ****' and he may then come to you giving it 'all that' then you have every right to stand your ground as you have been polite and asked him nicely. But remember he's your neighbour so you'll have to bump into him from time to time. That probably weren't much help, dunno, I know how annoying neighbours can be at times!!!!

gixer599
28-02-2007, 11:29 PM
if there is no car on his drive park there, you can do that because you are not obstructing since there is no car there to obstruct

Paul Beazer
28-02-2007, 11:29 PM
I've had run ins with him before and he didnt like it when i complained to the police about something i KNEW i was right about, but wouldnt accept it from me. Ok accept it from plod then.
I suspect this is his way of getting back at me, but MY time will come.......

Paul Beazer
28-02-2007, 11:30 PM
if there is no car on his drive park there, you can do that because you are not obstructing since there is no car there to obstruct
Aaah, but i am causing an obstruction legally, and i have no doubt he'd call the police before i'd even got in the house.

Kieran
28-02-2007, 11:35 PM
What about a complaint to the local council Paul?

gixer599
28-02-2007, 11:36 PM
your only causing an obstruction if he can't get off his drive, that is our councils interpretation of the law

bernmc
28-02-2007, 11:41 PM
Convert the front of your house to hardstanding too. I don't think there's anything else you can do short of getting the council to come and paint designated parking spaces, allocate permits etc- and for that you'll need most of the street to agree.

You don't own the area in front of your house- it's public road, and your neighbour has paid his road tax...

It's a case of the saddest bastard wins... :(

jayjay99
28-02-2007, 11:58 PM
.......I suspect this is his way of getting back at me, but MY time will come.......

Revenge is sweet!!!!!! /Devil5 >| /Devil5

stuey
01-03-2007, 02:16 AM
has he properly converted his front garden with dropped kerb? if you do the same he can't block your frontage. obstruction in eyes of the law. Without officially allowed dropped kerb, no legal obstruction (i think....)

KHK
01-03-2007, 03:11 AM
do you have any very old and cheap car ?
if yes, park to occupy the space you want and move it away when you need it

some of my neighbours post a notice outside saying "Do not park here"
some of other neighbours place some stuff ( bicycle/chair etc) right there

DO NOT FORGET : you have a baby to take care, almost 99%of time is to be spent on your baby, your wife and work,

The Vee
01-03-2007, 04:30 AM
not sure on this one, but if the kerb isn't legally done, I think the council can prohibit driving over the pavement to a frontage. A lot of councils are difficult and expensive to get this permission.

KHK
01-03-2007, 05:02 AM
asking the government or council to get involved would be difficult
i tend to think that council is unwilling to interfere unless they can't evade

is there any simple sketch on the house front to evaluate the situation?

pitslayer
01-03-2007, 05:05 AM
late at night jack under his rear end....jack car up shift it into the middle of the street....ring police....sorted

Paul Beazer
01-03-2007, 08:28 AM
His kerb has been properly dropped.
Like others say saddest bastard wins. I cant honestly see how to resolve this with out it getting out of hand. Ho hum. I'll get 'im!

Bal
01-03-2007, 10:02 AM
mate i have the same problem. we have two cars in the household. admittedly the vr4 is going but at the moment my old man has to park down the road becuase people park infront of our house.

to be honest there isnt a lot you can do becuase it is a public road and they have every right to park there. it's just a case of who get's there first.

becuase i dont drive my car that often i try and leave my car infront of the house but when you do go away what can you do.

I-S
01-03-2007, 10:06 AM
I'm having the same problem... people across the street have two cars (two corsas... WHY?! Wasn't one bad enough?!) (and they're actually the same people who I told about their dodgy front tyres some time ago) and insist on parking one of them in front of my house.

I'm going to look into the legalities because my street is an unusual case in that the pavements are adopted by the council but the street is not. My understanding is that my ownership extends to half way across the street (which is just wide enough for a car parked each side and room to drive up the middle). For the most part I let it go because I don't often have heavy things to carry in and out or whatever, but it is infuriating when you come home from a bad day at work, pissing rain and have to park 50yds down the street.

WildCards
01-03-2007, 10:11 AM
You could put some cones there for the softly softly approach Paul, I know he could move them but it may be seen as a signal of your intent.

Next stage could be a word with him at an opportune time, don't go round specifically, just try to catch him while he's outside and your going out or something.

If that doesn't work, make a a specific request to him, be nice and make it clear that it's for your wife, new baby etc etc.

If that doesn't work sprinkle some broken nails/glass or the like in the space when you leave, but remember to sweep up before you park again at night.

If that still doesn't work, sh!t in a flimsy bag and post it through his letter box everynight for a month. Stash some fresh kippers in the grille of his car where they can't be seen, wipe yogurt over every stone surface of his house that you can reach and play loud music at ever opportunity.

and if that doesn't work, hit the pillock!

thecustomer
01-03-2007, 10:17 AM
what do your neighbours think?

Mabe you're not alone in being teed off by parking arrangements.

At least you might then be able to say something 'on other's behalf', so it's not just you vs him.

Will

Paul C
01-03-2007, 10:27 AM
set his car on fire

go round his house and have it out with him and when there out block there access with your car they will soon come round.Had similar problem myself and had it out with neighbour got the usuall response do you know who my family are. so basically they threating to send a group of men round to fight one person. but i never backed down and the problem has stopped.in other words stand your ground it least if you get a kicking they know how far your prepared to go.

Paul Beazer
01-03-2007, 10:34 AM
Thanks chaps.

The cones is a non starter as its actually illegal apparently.

Trying to talk to him would be a good idea, BUT i doubt very much he'll even listen and just say something to the effect of "not my problem, i can park where i like" and he's right. If i do see him, i will ask if he could perhaps show some consideration for my other half and try and appeal to his better nature, but its unlikely. Obviously his car is much more important than the well being of a 3 month old baby!

I've thought about talking to the neighbours, but i never see most of them, but worth a try and sound them out.

Burning his car or spraying it with brake fluid has crossed my mind, but i suspect that i'd get into a world of grief for criminal damage etc etc.

Paul C
01-03-2007, 10:41 AM
parking always causes aguments just put your foot down obviously there will be an exchange of words dont back down. by a car from scrap yard and dump across his access and just leave it to rot.

my neighbour used to park across my front because they didn't like to use there driveway. these people are inconsiderate idoits.

KHK
01-03-2007, 01:22 PM
yea, got a cheap but drivable car/van from scrap yard
OCCUPY that space when you are away
this is more cost effective, no need to exchange word
he can park there, you can park there too

if anyone cause any damage to this cheap car, it is criminal offence
if you can set up a remote cam connected to your pc, with proper software it can monitor any moving object and record it in your harddisk or upload to internet as future evidence

KHK
01-03-2007, 01:25 PM
a cone can be kicked away by anyone

depends on what type of people you are dealing with
some can be very considerate, some need a gentle remindance
some need a mild effort to handle

pitslayer
01-03-2007, 04:47 PM
lol i always kick cones away or push them out the way. funny when the people ask wtf you are doing "some idiot has left these cones where i can park".....or when ive started to push them out the way with my car, and some guy to come running out shouting at me what am i doing it his parking space....oh is it really.....continue to park, so those would been your cones crushed under my car then.....btw anything happens to this car now i know where you live lol

beat him in the crotch with ap hone book

WildCards
01-03-2007, 05:24 PM
Cones can be moved, but they make a good non-confrontational way of saying 'it's my space fukc off pal'

Nick VR4
01-03-2007, 05:44 PM
Very hard speaking to some neighbours at times

Nextdoor to me one day will speak the other you get a grunt

Had a few run ins with him accusing me that my PC was interfering with his Sky dish /Grrr/Grrrcame round numerous times told him once and for all in the end its is not my )(*^ing PC

He backed off them :D

Not much more I can add if the guys a complete **** without smacking him in the mouth or something

psbarham
01-03-2007, 06:05 PM
if mr nice guy don't work then bomb his cars with water bombs filled with nitromorse. fecking wanekrs like that pi$$ me right off .

Alex
01-03-2007, 07:20 PM
Sounds like he is being deliberately obstructive, and anti social when you try and be reasonable with him. As Kieran says, I reckon council is the route to go. Personally I would keep a record of all the anti social incidents, and times when you've tried to resolve them in a reasonable fashion, and his response. Then I would contact the anti social behaviour team at your local district council. Once it's logged, further incidents can be added by yourself and any other neighbours who are having problems with the guy. All adds up, and the council have the power to impose sanctions.

And the best of luck sorting this mate.

bernmc
01-03-2007, 07:29 PM
yea, got a cheap but drivable car/van from scrap yard
OCCUPY that space when you are away
this is more cost effective, no need to exchange word
he can park there, you can park there too

You'd have to tax the car - which means it needs insurance and an MOT if you want to leave it on the public road. I doubt that it would be cost-effective to do this.

As before, hardstanding with your own dropped curb is the only legal way you're going to be able to stop him. All this talk of punches, nails, brake fluid etc may be good for venting of the spleen, but it's only going to get you locked up. Remember, this is Great Britain - the law favours criminals and inconsiderate bastards.

Alex
01-03-2007, 07:37 PM
Remember, this is Great Britain - the law favours criminals and inconsiderate bastards.

Although technically, causing damage to the neighbour's car would be criminal damage (an offence), and I don't think anyone's disputing that the neighbour's an inconsiderate prat - so the law could only favour one of the two in this instance couldn't it?

Sometimes you're just between a rock and a hard place, aint ya? /wall

/STP

Sorry - only stiring :)

Paul Beazer
01-03-2007, 10:42 PM
I know EXACTLY who would end up with the law on his case, and it wouldnt be dale the dick (my neighbour).
I have several plans, none involving criminal damage i might add, i think i can work out his e-mail address at work, i have a friend in IT who is changing jobs soon and he has 500,000 spam e-mails at his disposal........
Mwahahahahahaha (PS wheres the "wringing my hands in glee" smiley?)

ritch_w
01-03-2007, 10:51 PM
spam e-mail - nice
junk mail
sex toy catalogues etc or if he'd actually like that, gay lifestyle mail order catalogues etc
takeaway pizzas / meals

***but do these from internet cafes / public phone boxes etc that cant be traced back to u ;) ***

Kieran
01-03-2007, 11:12 PM
spam e-mail - nice
junk mail
sex toy catalogues etc or if he'd actually like that, gay lifestyle mail order catalogues etc
takeaway pizzas / meals

***but do these from internet cafes / public phone boxes etc that cant be traced back to u ;) ***

/haz

ralliart-type-s
01-03-2007, 11:55 PM
:speechles hiya mate, im new on here but i know wot u mean. i had a similar problem. i got a mate of mine to leave a skip out side the bags house for a fortnight. Then just in case she didnt get the message i got another mate to park his recovery wagon there for a bit. She has a proper driveway so he had to leave enuf room for her to get her car in/out. but it wasnt a very nice view for a month!!/Handbag

SGHOM
02-03-2007, 12:16 AM
just caught up with this thread !! :inquisiti
My 'neighbour from hell' across the road point blank refuses to park his 'reps' car on his drive. his excuse is his wife [ slag , cant get it off the drive ] /pan /pan she only uses it once a week.... probably to shop at Lidl's ?? :thinking: but he leaves it on the road all week. I have to do a 37 point turn to get my car on or off my drive. :speechles
we have had endless arguments over this.... but seeing as he is 6' 7" & 18st.. & has served time for GBH...... I think I'll just reverse in to it one day... rather than pick a fight !! /Grrr

ralliart-type-s
02-03-2007, 12:19 AM
/pan Hey SGHOM, im 6'6" and 20 st. Can i come and pick a fight with him 4u??/pan

SGHOM
02-03-2007, 12:25 AM
/pan Hey SGHOM, im 6'6" and 20 st. Can i come and pick a fight with him 4u??/pan

please do !! :iloveyou:

on new years day last year..... I managed to squeeze 3 cars on my drive. :inquisiti he was out, so when my son came, he parked his Merc on the rd. the **** opposite came back from shopping & parked outside his house & blocked the road !! /pan he then had the gall to come across & ask us to move our car !! w**ker !! /Grrr /pan /pan

ralliart-type-s
02-03-2007, 12:34 AM
:evil2: :evil2: U got any m8s with wagons??? hehe, I cd get him clamped if u like.

Paul Beazer
02-03-2007, 08:15 AM
Derek sounds like we have a common bond. Your neighbour does sounds lilke a bit of an animal tho. Mine, pah! Im more scared of his wife! Urgh!
Just to prove what a knob he is. his car has been outside mine all night and theres nothing in front of his house or on the road at all. How considerate of him! Well if he's not going to use it perhaps i should!

HJM
02-03-2007, 01:44 PM
Move House !

SORTED - Life's too short and all that !

H

psbarham
02-03-2007, 06:31 PM
Move House !

SORTED - Life's too short and all that !

H
/applaude

Paul Beazer
03-03-2007, 10:45 AM
Easier said than done, thanks!

KHK
05-03-2007, 05:58 PM
i just had a shout with my neighbour over parking in front of house

so Paul your issue truly is a headache may be of every one