PDA

View Full Version : 6a13 sohc v6 turbo idea

Gly
01-03-2007, 11:22 AM
anyone done or even thought about this??

would it be as simple as using the vr4 pistons and rods in the sohc v6 motor
fuel upgrade and ecu upgrade (piggy or standalone)? and a turbo?

or is there more to it?

zentac
01-03-2007, 11:46 AM
just drop a 6A13 in, it will be easier.

Eurospec
01-03-2007, 11:58 AM
Its a good question, but i agree with Richard.

I dont know for sure but i would be pretty surprised if the blocks werent different. For example oil squirters run off the main crank journals on the TT, but not on the NA. You can tell this if the mains are a different part number.

Clearly the heads are different, but will the TT manifold fit on the NA head?

The supply from the oil pump for the turbo bearings will be different/not there.

There will be no turbo oil drain provision in the sump.

There will be no provision of coolant feed or return ports in the thermostat housing for the turbos on the NA version.

Injectors will be different obviously and may even be different impedence, i dont know for sure. IIRC the VR4 has a resistor pack doesnt it, but the V6 doesnt? That would indicate different impedance injectors.

The Electronics (senors and wiring etc) and ECU's will be different as will the engine looms, so unless you go standalone there will be a lot of work there.

I am sure it can be done to make a conversion but niether donor engine route, nor straight conversion will be that easy.

Interested to know if anyone has done it?

Cheers,

Ben.

Paul Beazer
01-03-2007, 01:57 PM
Interested to know if anyone has done it?

Cheers,

Ben.

Andy (The Vee) has swapped the 6A13 for a 6A13TT which required quite a lot of work to the loom, exhausts, and many ancillary parts.
To put a turbo on a 6A13 would probably be even more work and would i imagine require a custom ECU, exhausts, manifolds etc etc.

Probably cheaper and easier to swap engines than plumb a turbo in there, but like anything, where theres a will theres a way. Just depends if you're really that bothered about having something unique, but possibly not any better than what you're trying to emulate anyway?

EDIT I think one of the American members has a single turbo conversion of a 6G72, but i know no more.

bradc
01-03-2007, 07:28 PM
I would say it's probably even easier to buy a finesse green manual VR-4 and swap all the stuff across, then sell your 25ST

I've got a spare set of pistons and rods and a spare block :)

Gly
01-03-2007, 07:30 PM
it is easier...
but not a challange, thats just far to easy to do!

my cars my hobby, theres no fun in doing that brad

nor do i have the cash to do that

the 6a13tt would a be a fairly straight forward swap into mine,
as its already 4wd, i would be able to use all the stock parts without modification,
then theres only the loom to sort out

also if i was to do the 6a13 v6 turbo,
i would not be using twins from a vr4,
i would do a custom single,
i would need strnger lower comp pistions and rods. (vr4 items perhaps?)
you only need a piggy to sort fueling/timing,
fuel upgrade (injectors and pump)
the oil squiters arnt needed from what ive read about the 4g63 (alot have na to turbo on these with no issues)

the only real issue i see is the oil feed/return lines for the turbo

bradc
02-03-2007, 01:09 AM
well I've obviously got my stock fuel pump + injectors + pistons/rods if any of it is needed

see you tonight by the way for the seats

ralliart-type-s
06-03-2007, 06:24 PM
Oil feed is done via adaptor on oil pressure switch, return is just an oil line and coupling to the sump.

Gly
06-03-2007, 07:32 PM
no need for this mod anymore,
bought a VR4 in the weekend

zentac
06-03-2007, 11:00 PM
nice one

KHK
07-03-2007, 02:49 AM
no need for this mod anymore,
bought a VR4 in the weekend

really? any photos? manual?