PDA

View Full Version : Tranny flush question

RugbyPete
02-03-2007, 12:03 PM
Does one need all four corners in the air for a tranny flush, or will jacking the front suffice?

I need to know If i need to buy more stands

Anyone tried getting a Gally onto metal frame ramps? I have a pair of those somewhere but I could never get the 620ti on them due to the front bumper

White Lightning
02-03-2007, 12:30 PM
Does one need all four corners in the air for a tranny flush, or will jacking the front suffice?

I need to know If i need to buy more stands

Anyone tried getting a Gally onto metal frame ramps? I have a pair of those somewhere but I could never get the 620ti on them due to the front bumper

Hey another ex-620ti owner - I had two of those and loved them both :thumbsup:

I don't believe you need all four corners in the air. Keiran or one of the others will confirm. Mine was emptied when the gearbox and torque converter were out of the car ... it was much easier then :scholar: The nose of the Galant is quite long though so I would have thought getting it up on ramps would be tricky.

RugbyPete
02-03-2007, 01:57 PM
cool, be good to get confirmed, if so the jobs getting much easier the more info I get

richy rich
02-03-2007, 02:08 PM
cool, be good to get confirmed, if so the jobs getting much easier the more info I get
A:1 only front needs lifting.
A:2 you will not get the front of the car on steel ramps

RugbyPete
06-03-2007, 02:04 PM
Where can I get an auto transmission filter from?

Nutter_John
06-03-2007, 02:17 PM
a shop would be a starter for 10 :D

Try camskill

RugbyPete
06-03-2007, 03:02 PM
I'm stil lunsure how much I actually need?

The following link says 10 quarts, so I read that as 10 litres, but his flush method and fill comes to a total of 12?

"Add 5.8 quarts (I just added 6) of tranny oil into the dipstick opening. Use the funnel to avoid making a mess"

"Put the drain plug back in (torque to 24 ft-lb) and then flush the oil cooler and lines again like u did before. "

"Add 3.7 quarts (I just used 4) to the tranny again"

This reads as:

1. Drain cooler
2. Drain Box
3. Fill box (6 quarts)
4. Drain cooler (minus 4 quarts from box)
5.Fill box and cooler. (6 quarts)

Equals 6 -4 +6 =12

Correct?

Or does it mean,

1. Drain the cooler which also drains 4 litres of the gearbox oil
2. Drain the remaining gearbox oil (1-2 litres) from the drain plug.
3. Put in 6 quartz with the drain plug open via the dipstick to flush the crap out. (Cooler sealed at this point.)
4. Let the remainder out by opening the cooler pipe again.
5. Top up with 4 quartz (6 quartz total)

I want to get on with this at the weekend, any advice helpful as to how much I need and where the fluid is wasted/used.

RugbyPete
06-03-2007, 03:08 PM
Again, I re-read it, noting down instructions, I think somethings missing or he's not clear on when to put the drain plug back in:

Drain Cooler
Drain Oil Pan
Fluid in box now ZERO
Add 6q via dipstick (whch goes where? - if pan it will piss out of drain plug)
Put in drain Plug
Drain cooler
Add 4q.

I can only think he means put the drain plug back in BEFORE putting in 6 quarts
That doesn't make sense to me?

Nutter_John
06-03-2007, 03:14 PM
Pete , simple instructions for job

You need between 12 and 15 litres of ATF fluid , some pipes , some clips and a bucket or two

Drain ATF sump , put sump plug back in , conect pipes to the atf pipes ( as in the instructions ) , fill up ATF with the same amount you took out of the sump , start engine and slowly top up with the same amount as is being pumped out by tranny .

Wait until you see good ATF coming thru and your finished .

Two points , make sure you connect to the correct pipes or it will piss out every where
don't forget to change you filter

have fun and I make no garentees on the above instructions

RugbyPete
06-03-2007, 03:36 PM
Thanks for clearing that up.

Ordered the filter just now, and may have to put in an order for more amsoil cos I've only bought 11 litres....

RugbyPete
06-03-2007, 05:03 PM
It seems there are a few ways of doing it, some taking more oil than others. Some drain all whilst pouring a few quartz through the dipstick and just fill up with synthetic. Others drain via the cooler and flush until clean fluid comes through. Some drain both parts and flush the cooler until the fluid runs clean. Other mix the two up!

Just to clarify, for anyone doing a search and finding this thread, I found Amsoils nstructions, shown below:

Follow these additional 5 steps for complete
transmission pan and torque converter fluid replacement.
1) Obtain the total transmission fluid capacity
from the manufacturer or AMSOIL
and have that amount of transmission
fluid available.
2) Place a drain pan large enough to hold the
total fluid capacity under the oil cooler.
Disconnect the oil cooler lines from the
oil cooler and direct the lines toward the
drain pan.
3) With another person, be prepared to add
ATF to the transmission fill hole (dipstick
hole) at the approximate rate as the fluid
is being pumped out the transmission line
into the drain pan.
4) Start the engine, and as the old fluid is
pumped out, add fresh fluid into the
transmission fill hole.
5) When either the fluid color brightens or
the total capacity has been replaced, shut
the engine off and re-attach the oil cooler
lines. All fluid in the transmission pan
and torque converter has now been
changed.
14. With the vehicle on level ground recheck the
fluid level using the manufacturer procedures outlined
in the owners manual. Check the transmission
and lines for leaks.

RugbyPete
06-03-2007, 05:26 PM
To keep an eye ont he fluids I'm using and to save not overusing what I have bought, and doing it alone, can you tell me if this would work?

1. Drain both cooler and pan
2. Re-insert pan plug and connect ONE cooler hose (inlet to cooler) leaving other in a bucket.
3. Start the engine, pouring in 2 litres of ATF slowly, which in turn comes out the other end into the bucket.
4. When it stops flowing, shut off the engine, reconnect the hose and fill up with the remaining 10 litres or so of fluid?

Just thinking this controls the amount I use and gives me enough time to run to the ignition when I finish pouring, waiting for the flow to cease.

Nick Mann
06-03-2007, 05:40 PM
Ther is a cracking article in the members section. It would have saved you £20 of your own time typing by now! :P

You have the procedure about right. Without one of us copying the members article word for word and re-typing it here, I reckon you have the basics of the procedure spot on.

amsoil
06-03-2007, 07:22 PM
You would also find that members can buy more Amsoil ATF than they really need, just to make sure, and return whats not used for a full refund of the purchase cost. But then again you are as yet not a member!

RugbyPete
07-03-2007, 10:09 AM
Damn, that is a good thing.

Soon, I promise!!

bernmc
08-03-2007, 10:26 AM
and may have to put in an order for more amsoil cos I've only bought 11 litres....

If you paid £135 for 11 litres, you got ripped off - I thought you'd got 15l? 11 litres (ie 2x5l + a 1l jar )would have cost you £116.53 delivered from Amsoil with the club discount. So for £135 you could have had the same amount of amsoil+membership.

/ERROR: Does not compute!

Can you ask your wife to pm me - I need to tell her to beat some sense into you /pan

RugbyPete
08-03-2007, 01:52 PM
Sorry, but you have crossed signals. I eventually bought 3x 5 litre tubs for the £135 in my other thread

11 litres would cost me £99.98 inc vat and delivery. As you can see, lack of membership here isn't affecting my ability to buy things at a good price.

Here, have your frying pan back...

Membership: all in good time, all in good time

amsoil
08-03-2007, 02:17 PM
I have watched from the side for some time whilst you have milked the site and membersip for all its worth and done well in doing so. Other sites would have told you to pack your bags (thats putting it mildly) some time ago. Only you know the lengths you have gone to to obtain the price you did but I don't appreciate having to pull a code from another club because you obtained it when not a member. I could say more.. I don't believe you will join this club ; ever and feel quite safe in saying so or are you going to prove me wrong?

RugbyPete
08-03-2007, 02:38 PM
When did I ever take a code from another club? I simply asked if discounts are available for club members and you gave me a code based on my signature, which I presumed was an offer for anyone at Aston Martin HQ, where I work.

And forgive me if I'm wrong but if this isn't a public forum then security is very lax indeed, I've not milked a thing but openly discussed issues of which I've had responses, the way forums work. I'm still going to pay based on the fact all the articles are locked away and guarded from sight, I know full well I'll have to pay up to gain any sort of access.

So far, only your comments here can be considered hostile, everything else from other members has been contructive criticism, which I take as the general impression of the club. I can only presume you're bitterness stems from the price I have achieved, legitimately, from a simple web quotation request, for which I cannot take responsibility.

Lets not turn this sour, I'm just settling in

bernmc
08-03-2007, 03:50 PM
Eeek! Kieran will be along any minute now to knock heads! FLEEEEEE!! /pan

Welcome to the club, Pete ;)

We do all love each other here (honest)... (except for people that have pissed me off I have kept a note you know don't think I haven't forgotten about you lot I'm warning you your time will come :|)

And we love sheep too. Especially sheep ;):D

/lol

Lillywotsername
08-03-2007, 03:54 PM
And we love sheep too. Especially sheep ;):D

/lol
And goats, cockerels, cats, dogs...... Hey what the hell... all animals.... Even Brunty!

( LOVES YA STEVE)

RugbyPete
08-03-2007, 04:03 PM
Sheep AND Bananas... What have I let myself in for!

what about fish? I've just got rid of my Piranhas... just got Cichlid slef tnow

White Lightning
08-03-2007, 06:15 PM
And goats, cockerels, cats, dogs...... Hey what the hell... all animals.... Even Brunty!

( LOVES YA STEVE)

Have to disagree there Lilly. We love cats, dogs, bunnies and the like but in no way have we got any kind of infatuation with sheep ... unlike some of the erm ... "people" ... on here

/pan

/lol