PDA

View Full Version : Brake failure not Recall

Boz
02-03-2007, 10:40 PM
Hi to all
Have been club member , vr4 owner for a couple of months now and already had excellent value from my subscription to the club.
Now the reason for my post,i now more or less have all the parts for Brembo conversion and last weekend thought i would take the car for a Pre Brembo brake test to compare after Brembos fitted.
Nice quiet road about 50 mph i brake hard now a combination of wet road and crap tyres ABS comes on ,pedal stays solid can feel abs pulsing under foot,no warning lights on dash but next to no braking,cant quite believe what just happened and repeat at about 40 mph exactly the same,slowly drive car home the brakes seem ok as long as ABS doesnt come on.
Car now in Mitsi Reading i strongly explained what to expect if taken for test drive even so as soon as technician got back he phoned me to say that was scary.
The only other thread i can find with same problem is by HowieP i have sent him PM, but has any one else had this problem, i dont want to think about what might have happened if i did need to stop quickly.
Thanks in advance

MyTrustedVR4
02-03-2007, 11:30 PM
Hi Boz,

Sorry to hear you are experiencing the Brake issue!!

My Brakes failed last August and has been in Poole Car Centre (Misubishi) since the end of August All recall work has been carried out, but still got the Brake Failure syndrome.

Was down there today as it happens and to be honest I am no convinced they know what to do now.

PM me if you want further details

Good luck /rally

By the way the thread for my problem is:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19797

Physician
03-03-2007, 12:13 AM
Boz,

Why do you say it's 'not recall'?

It sounds remarkably like precisely THAT issue!

Louis
03-03-2007, 12:28 AM
Hi, check below

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.nz/j...ortvehicle#top

click on the corporate tab then recall tab and then import vehicle tab put in your chassis number. it is listed as active stability control.

and

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4870&highlight=important+recall+info

Use the search thang to find etc, there is a full list of recall issues on the site somewhere, also call mitsy dealer and ask them, they can tell you from your reg or chassis num. All these recalls are done free of charge no matter who the owner is (some of them have a time limit on them),

It does sound remarkably like the recall issue with the brakes, vr4, same as some of the bigger 4wd mitsy's. get them to check for moisture in the brake fluid, (moisture allows the fluid to compress more), so brakes are less effective and under hard braking the pedal will travel to the floor, and you will still not have fully applied the brakes,cheers Louis

hi, edited the link so it should work now

Boz
03-03-2007, 12:30 AM
MyTrustedVR4 Thanks very much PM sent.

Physician The only recalls that i have been able to find for my chassis No are i think Lower suspension arm / balljoints and parking brake mechanism.
Mitsi Reading are going to check with Japan regarding this cheers.

Boz
03-03-2007, 12:43 AM
Hi Louis

Thanks for advice, have just put my chassis No in the Mitsi .co.nz. recall site and it came up clear no recalls.

Physician
03-03-2007, 01:55 AM
Hi Boz,

OK understood.

However, I might suggest that you do indeed have the same brake issue as the recalls. How/why yours has screwed up I don't know as you will have the updated mechanics/parts/diaphram.

As Louis suggested ...... check the brake fluid reservoir. A simple way to do this is to shine a torch through the reservoir from the side and then look in the top to see if you have loads of micro-bubbles (gas). If you do, then you can be almost certain it's the same issue as the recalls.

Goodluck.

Boz
03-03-2007, 12:55 PM
Hi again Physician

Thanks for that,will get Mitsy to check next week.

Can i just check with you when shining torch through side of brake fluid resevoir
, looking in top for micro-bubbles i guess i would need engine running and maybe pumping brake pedal to get micro-bubbles ?

Cheers.

Physician
03-03-2007, 04:37 PM
Hi again Physician

Thanks for that,will get Mitsy to check next week.

Can i just check with you when shining torch through side of brake fluid resevoir
, looking in top for micro-bubbles i guess i would need engine running and maybe pumping brake pedal to get micro-bubbles ?

Cheers.

I'm not 100% certain about this but it is my understanding that the bubbles will be there 'in suspension' without engine on. However, I guess the best way to test this is to check initially without engine on and if NO bubbles are seen then check again, but with engine on.

The only point I'd make is that if your car has been standing in a garage without being switched on for a while, then I guess the bubbles could have dispersed.

Here's a page from the recall info:

uploaded/850/1172936179.jpg

HowieP
04-03-2007, 01:19 PM
Hi All, I have been talking with Boz about this and hopefully provided a few pointers having had my catalogue of issues successfully resolved. I didn't think the new/post-facelft accumulator/pump assembly used gas? I am happy to take e-mails from anyone with similar problems if only to give councelling and moral support! It all worked before so it must be fixable.

Cheers

H

Kieran
04-03-2007, 02:00 PM
...I didn't think the new/post-facelft accumulator/pump assembly used gas?

That's right, I didn't think it did either.

Boz
04-03-2007, 02:03 PM
Hi Physician,

Thanks again,i also think my original post may have been a lttle misleading Re:
quote (pedal stays solid) i meant normal, not spongey or solid as in no servo assistance.
I should have addad my car is a facelift 2000 model later brakes.
HowieP has now provided useful info aswell so fingers crossed.

Cheers.