PDA

View Full Version : Altering afr

Paul C
03-03-2007, 09:44 PM
I have installed a map ecu 2 and are currently running it in auto learn .I will soon be looking to alter my afrand ehich is the best way to do this. i s it best to alter fuel map/o2 sensor output reading reading to compensate. I am new to tuning and are probablu out of my depth but i sm willing to learn so are in no rush just to start tweaking.Any advice would be great,thans paul

Gly
03-03-2007, 10:13 PM
you need to either have it dyno tuned by a pro. properly,

or buy a wideband EGO sensor, such as the LM-1 or LC-1
so you can moniter your AFR, and correctly modify you fuel map on the map ecy to get the desired AFR,

http://www.mapecu.com/map2.html

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lc1.php

Paul C
03-03-2007, 10:54 PM
you need to either have it dyno tuned by a pro. properly,

or buy a wideband EGO sensor, such as the LM-1 or LC-1
so you can moniter your AFR, and correctly modify you fuel map on the map ecy to get the desired AFR,

http://www.mapecu.com/map2.html

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lc1.php

I have the lm-1 system and have thought about getting it mapped proffessionally, but that takes the interest out of buying map ecu2. i'm not going to rush into trying to achieve great horse power.I want to understand what i am doing and then have the ability to alter the map when purchasing tuning mods.

Kenneth
03-03-2007, 11:00 PM
if you want to alter closed loop AFR, then you will need to program the LC-1. Search for a thread I posted named something like "leaning out AFR in closed loop" which will tell you how to do it.

The auto-learn isn't that great really... you need to do some data logging to work out what should really be in the cells. Once you have got a decent map you can start modifying the values and re-logging to see their effect.

of course you have to be careful not to blow your engine up....

mpau009
04-03-2007, 05:58 AM
I'm 99% the Map2 actually comes with the ability to alter the 02 sensor signal internally, if you have wired it up on the 16 way harness. I havent got the unit myself yet, but page 49 of the new manual i think shows how it works, the end result is the same as changing it on the LC-1 as far as i can tell. Apparently it works the same if you wire in an aftermarket one in addition to the OEM sensor, using the 3 way connector, but i havent got my head around that yet:inquisiti (or why)

Something tells me we might need a new forum section for MAP2 questions soon, especially since its all new to me as well.:thinking:

I'd be keen for any info or pics once others get their monitoring up and running.

I just want to get my hands on it/bounce

Paul C
04-03-2007, 07:44 PM
I'm 99% the Map2 actually comes with the ability to alter the 02 sensor signal internally, if you have wired it up on the 16 way harness. I havent got the unit myself yet, but page 49 of the new manual i think shows how it works, the end result is the same as changing it on the LC-1 as far as i can tell. Apparently it works the same if you wire in an aftermarket one in addition to the OEM sensor, using the 3 way connector, but i havent got my head around that yet:inquisiti (or why)

Something tells me we might need a new forum section for MAP2 questions soon, especially since its all new to me as well.:thinking:

I'd be keen for any info or pics once others get their monitoring up and running.

I just want to get my hands on it/bounce

yes it is wired to alter o2 signals from standard vr4 sensor.

Eurospec
04-03-2007, 11:55 PM
Thats right, the O2 adjust table gives the ability to run closed loop, but at a different afr, by adjusting the signal sent from the stock O2 sensor to the ECU.

For tuning afr, a wideband, such as the LC 1, is a must.

I would tend to approach this by firstly dissabling the stock O2 sensor. (I guess you have done this anyhow as you have a wideband). If you do so, dont leave it in the car dissabled as that wont help its life expectancy.

You will then force the std ecu to run on its default maps, instead of having it move the trims around to try to learn out your tuning!

Now, if you have a self learnt map, use it as a start point only. It will take time to get a workable map in there. Start with idle, then do very light acceleration and gentle cruise. Set each point to the afr you want. I use the follow me mode to help with this. Assuming you are not changing the afr of the cruise/idle, you will be able to give the narrow band signal back to the ecu.

You should then see your cruise/idle cycling round 14.7.

Tuning the higher load (boost) cells, once again its a process of getting into that cell and then tuning to the afr you want. Just be very careful not to run lean, especially when on boost.

My advice is to get as much data as you can in the self learn. Even do multiple self learn maps, run logs, use enigmas log to map program and get as much data into your initial map as you can. That will give you the easiest way forward.

Cheers,

Ben.

Paul C
05-03-2007, 09:11 PM
Thats right, the O2 adjust table gives the ability to run closed loop, but at a different afr, by adjusting the signal sent from the stock O2 sensor to the ECU.

For tuning afr, a wideband, such as the LC 1, is a must.

I would tend to approach this by firstly dissabling the stock O2 sensor. (I guess you have done this anyhow as you have a wideband). If you do so, dont leave it in the car dissabled as that wont help its life expectancy.

You will then force the std ecu to run on its default maps, instead of having it move the trims around to try to learn out your tuning!

Now, if you have a self learnt map, use it as a start point only. It will take time to get a workable map in there. Start with idle, then do very light acceleration and gentle cruise. Set each point to the afr you want. I use the follow me mode to help with this. Assuming you are not changing the afr of the cruise/idle, you will be able to give the narrow band signal back to the ecu.

You should then see your cruise/idle cycling round 14.7.

Tuning the higher load (boost) cells, once again its a process of getting into that cell and then tuning to the afr you want. Just be very careful not to run lean, especially when on boost.

My advice is to get as much data as you can in the self learn. Even do multiple self learn maps, run logs, use enigmas log to map program and get as much data into your initial map as you can. That will give you the easiest way forward.

Cheers,

Ben.

Thanks ben i am currently going down this route but it is a lengthy process doing self learn and logging maps. i am no rush to alter afr's yet so will just get a decent map and then challenge them

Thanks
Paul