PDA

View Full Version : Help! Smashed an ABS sensor

calum
04-03-2007, 11:07 PM
So, to save £100 in garage bills I decided to fit the hub assembly I bought from funkyproduct (or funkystyling I think they are now) so got up early and went up to a friend's house to borrow his rather large and well equipped garage.

Got there and got underway with the job. All was going reasonably well (apart from damaging the threads on the top link nut and the track rod end nut, and splitting the rubber on the track rod end, and shearing the bolt that holds the brake disc protective plate on, and one of the small bolts on the ABS sensor cable bracket...) until it came to the major hammering part.

I had read Barry's tip about slackening the bolts a bit and then tapping round in a circle to force the hub assembly out of the hub carrier, so I tried that. It was taking forever and seemed to be damaging the heads of the bolts, so ever one for a shortcut (I had promised to go swimming with the family early afternoon before my 2 1/2 year old's nap) I decided to take all bolts out and skelp the hub assembly out using a hammer.

This worked great, until one of my (by now fairly wild) swings connected with the ABS sensor. I thought for a while I may have gotten away with it, so put it all back together and went to start the car. As usual, the dash lit up. Unfortunately, half of the warning lights now stay lit, with two of them flashing!

So now we have: ABS warning light, TCL OFF flashing, a picture of a skidding car flashing, and a red AYC lit up. Wife approval factor is low on this issue (it is her car, after all), and had the unfortunate side effect of reminding her that I had 'fixed' the SRS airbag light by removing the bulb.

So I'm now in need of some advice.

Can I change the sensor or do I have to change the whole hub carrier?
If you can change the sensor, how the hell do you get it out? I took the bolt out but the sensor seemed pretty solid in the hub carrier (plastic was bending and looked like it would break if I tried any harder).
If I can, does anybody have one spare or know how much they are new?
If not, does anybody have a hub carrier spare?

Thanks & regards,

Calum

Dan_G
04-03-2007, 11:53 PM
Sounds like all in all the job went well then!!

if you need a hub carrier, which side are you looking for ?

jayjay99
04-03-2007, 11:56 PM
I had to change an ABS sensor on a Galant GLSi I had ages ago and it cost me.... (I hope you are sitting down) over £260 from mitsubishi, I was vexed as it's just a wire!!! I didn't fit it myself so I can't say too much on that. I'd do my best to find it second hand if you can.

bernmc
05-03-2007, 12:10 AM
pm'd you.

the sensors have a metal casing which rusts and fuses into the hub carrier. Can be a bugger to get out, but as yours is already ruined, it shouldn't be a problem. You don't need to do the whole carrier.

Careful of the ABS ring though

calum
05-03-2007, 10:34 AM
Sorry - should have said it's the offside (driver's side). bernmc has pm'd me saying he may have one kicking about - here's hoping!

Cheers,

Calum

Dan_G
05-03-2007, 01:16 PM
ok cool, pity it was'nt the other side coz I have a pre-facelift front left hub carrier c/w abs sensor still in there that I took off the passenger side to fit my brembos (the drivers side is a post facelift for some reason).

havent tried taking the sensor out though coz it seems in there prety seized....

calum
05-03-2007, 03:05 PM
Thanks anyway - bernmc has sold me one now.

Just need to work out how to get the old one out!

Cheers,

Calum

Gly
05-03-2007, 07:21 PM
hit it with a hammer :P