PDA

View Full Version : Electrical enginey thingys eg. Apexi

jayjay99
05-03-2007, 02:17 PM
I know there is info on the site and I have been searching and reading for a couple of hours but it's a bit above me at the mo, I want to get some funky gadget that gives plenty of info, is useable, looks good, but is not for an 100% hard core tuner. I don't mind wiring to the ecu, there's loads of info on here for me to follow, don't know how easy it'd be to find somewhere to do after-fitting tuning. Just got a few questions if someone can help that'd be great.

1. Anyone got any recommendations on good units? not sure what ones there are, I read about the Apexi rsm, I take it it is just another display for your revs and speed. Boost controllers etc......

2. I read somewhere on here that the boost controllers just need wiring, do they not need to be T'd into the engine bay anywhere?

3. Is there any specific type you need for the VR-4? Or is it just 'one unit fits all'?

4. Is a turbo timer any use?

5. Can you do many adjustments when just connected to the ecu?

Thanks guys & gals, if anyone has a link to an idiots guide for this stuff that would be great.

bradc
05-03-2007, 07:15 PM
map ecu 2?

Gly
05-03-2007, 07:22 PM
apexi neo,

safc/rsm + more, in one unit
with a cool colour display

stuartturbo
05-03-2007, 08:18 PM
1.Apexi rsm, is just a display for your revs and speed.
Boost controllers plenty about few use the apexi ACVR unit
Fuel apexi S-AFC also one

2.A boost controller will need some plumbing modification in the engine bay,I know there is a guide to fitting a boost controller on the site, all are principley the same

3. there is now specific type boost controller for the VR-4
4. Is a turbo timer any use? yes but most take it easy or your alarm may have this feature on

5. Can you do many adjustments when just connected to the ecu? In what way the apexi units adjust the signal so whilst running is fine

Or just buy a MAPecu not fully sure how good but alot better than the two apexi's required to adjust fuel and pressure with better/safer tuning

Wodjno
05-03-2007, 08:24 PM
This is a nice piece of kit... :D

It won't allow you to tune the fuelling though..

Plenty of features and ability to log plenty of engine metrics../yes

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21985&highlight=greddy

jayjay99
05-03-2007, 09:34 PM
Mmm... cheers, for the info. Nice plug wodjno :) Bit too much for me really, I'm looking for under the £200 mark. I noticed the apexi neo before, are they any good, it will fit the vr-4 ok?

jayjay99
05-03-2007, 09:56 PM
Just reading the wiring manual for it, on the bit about the ecu, which are we? Vehicle with Karman turbo sensor, Vehicle with VTEC, Vehicle with RB26DETT, Vehicle with hot wire, flap, and pressure sensor?

ralliart-type-s
05-03-2007, 09:59 PM
Wot about the profec b?? they have the boost ctrl, afr etc dont they??

Kieran
05-03-2007, 10:01 PM
Wot about the profec b?? they have the boost ctrl, afr etc dont they??

Nah, the Profec's just a boost controller. Greddy's E-Manage ultimate can do all of that jazz though.

Eurospec
06-03-2007, 01:53 AM
I think the question you need to ask yourself is what are you wanting to achieve?

An RSM, an AFC or NEO, and or a boost controller all do very seperate things, and all work on the VR4.

The Neo is a cool little thing, looks neat and is easy to set up as it gets. You should use wideband though.

Cheers,

Ben.

jayjay99
06-03-2007, 10:49 AM
I think the question you need to ask yourself is what are you wanting to achieve?

An RSM, an AFC or NEO, and or a boost controller all do very seperate things, and all work on the VR4.

The Neo is a cool little thing, looks neat and is easy to set up as it gets. You should use wideband though.

Cheers,

Ben.

Well I'm looking for something that can tell me, rpm, throttle position, speed, bits like that and that can record info over a certain period. I really want something that looks good, colour screen, easyish to fit. I do like the Neo and I'm leaning that way, what do you mean when you say to use wideband?

Eurospec
06-03-2007, 01:54 PM
The main purpose of a neo is to act as a fuel controller, rather than to display stuff, which it can of course do also.

If you run any kind of correction for fueling with the neo, you really need a wideband to set iy up, so you can achieve your desired afr.

If all you are after is information, rather than actual performance mods, i would be tempted to go with the rsm, although it has no tuning ability at all.

The Neo by the way has no speed input, so it cant tell you that. also i'm not sure how much data it stores and for how long. Obviously you can see data in the graph mode, but i think it dissapears of the axis after about ten secs.

hope thats useful,

Cheers,

Ben.

Wodjno
06-03-2007, 03:03 PM
Well I'm looking for something that can tell me, rpm, throttle position, speed, bits like that and that can record info over a certain period. I really want something that looks good, colour screen, easyish to fit. I do like the Neo and I'm leaning that way, what do you mean when you say to use wideband?

But do you actually want to increase the power of your car as well ??

If you want to see a Profec E-01 installed and working on a VR4 ?? I know of 1 only 10 miles from you, and could easily arrange you a demonstration.. It will do all you ask and plenty more... If you are willing to pat £200 for something that will look pretty and display a few engine metrics ! Then another £100 is worth the investment for an E-01.. Especially when you feel the power increase :D

jayjay99
06-03-2007, 05:06 PM
But do you actually want to increase the power of your car as well ??

If you want to see a Profec E-01 installed and working on a VR4 ?? I know of 1 only 10 miles from you, and could easily arrange you a demonstration.. It will do all you ask and plenty more... If you are willing to pat £200 for something that will look pretty and display a few engine metrics ! Then another £100 is worth the investment for an E-01.. Especially when you feel the power increase :D

Ok, you've peaked my interest! :evilgrin: More Power!!!! /haz I looked at the manual and it seems to have a fair few bits in the engine bay, is it easy to install/locate the parts?

Wodjno
06-03-2007, 05:12 PM
Ok, you've peaked my interest! :evilgrin: More Power!!!! /haz I looked at the manual and it seems to have a fair few bits in the engine bay, is it easy to install/locate the parts?

Easy Peasy.. :pimp2:

If you want me to fit it :thinking: And set it up :inquisiti It can be arranged for a small fee :scholar:

It is easy to fit, but depending on your own skills.. If you want to fit it yourself, but need any info, you just gotta ask :D

jayjay99
06-03-2007, 05:15 PM
Easy Peasy.. :pimp2:

If you want me to fit it :thinking: And set it up :inquisiti It can be arranged for a small fee :scholar:

It is easy to fit, but depending on your own skills.. If you want to fit it yourself, but need any info, you just gotta ask :D

Well I can have a go, the main thing is finding the pipes that I have to block off and T into etc. Do you still have some?

Nutter_John
06-03-2007, 05:18 PM
jason it is very easy to install a boost controller and most of them have all the bits you need to install

I have the Apexi Type R which does all the boost stuff but also allow you to see all the prity things like rpm , boost , throttle position , speed etc etc . but they cost around 280- ish

Wodjno
06-03-2007, 05:19 PM
Well I can have a go, the main thing is finding the pipes that I have to block off and T into etc. Do you still have some?

I certainly do ;)

Pezza has 1 installed on his car in exactly the same way as i have mine installed.. !! He's only 10 miles away.. I'm sure you could arranged with him to take a look at where everything goes before you start !!

Wodjno
06-03-2007, 05:21 PM
Also the Profec allows you to Tune an E-Manage Blue without the use of a PC.. Thats if a later date you decide to go down the route of tuning your fuel and ignition etc :pimp2::pimp2::pimp2::pimp2::pimp2::pimp2::pimp2:

Wodjno
06-03-2007, 05:24 PM
jason it is very easy to install a boost controller and most of them have all the bits you need to install

John !! :speechles

Shouldn't you be advertising WRD's skills.. Offering a fitting service for boost controllers and the like.. /pan/pan

Nutter_John
06-03-2007, 05:26 PM
Glen , we have and do fit boost controllers of all ypes , but at the end of the day we also offer advise if people want to fit themselves etc etc .

But WRD are more than happy to fit anything within reason

jayjay99
06-03-2007, 05:27 PM
John was just saying about the apexi type R shows the rpm , boost , throttle position , speed etc, does the profec show that?

Wodjno
06-03-2007, 05:32 PM
Glen , we have and do fit boost controllers of all ypes , but at the end of the day we also offer advise if people want to fit themselves etc etc .

As to am i :D

What no smileys John :speechles

Yes it show's all of those :)

Wodjno
06-03-2007, 05:33 PM

As to am i :D

What no smileys John :speechles

Glenn

Yes Jay Jay, it show's all of those :)

jayjay99
06-03-2007, 05:36 PM
Hmm.... and what is the damage?

Wodjno
06-03-2007, 05:40 PM
Hmm.... and what is the damage?

£310 delivered or not delivered :D

jayjay99
06-03-2007, 05:48 PM
And how do you take payment?

Wodjno
06-03-2007, 05:53 PM
And how do you take payment?

Cash, Cheque Postal Order, Pay Pal.. The choice is yours.. If it was cheque i would have to wait for clearance first :)

jayjay99
06-03-2007, 05:58 PM
Okay, Okay, pm me your paypal and I'll send some funds through! /pan /pan I so can't afford this! :inquisiti That's all I seem to say since I bought the VR-4 /haz Do you think you'd be able to get it to me by the weekend? I can have a play then. :scholar:

pezza
06-03-2007, 06:59 PM
Okay, Okay, pm me your paypal and I'll send some funds through! /pan /pan I so can't afford this! :inquisiti That's all I seem to say since I bought the VR-4 /haz Do you think you'd be able to get it to me by the weekend? I can have a play then. :scholar:

Its a fantastic bit of kit Jay, very configurable and good choice of different display. Plus the logging and playback is perfect for tuning and seeing all the parameters.

Its definitely going into my next leggie when I get it!

I was round twickerz/richmond at the weekend had I have known you were interested could have shown you the install..

Wodjno
06-03-2007, 07:06 PM

Nice 1.. :2thumbsup You will not be dissapointed :scholar:

PayPal addy wending it's way to you now ..

I am at work now and if had left 5 mins later to get to work i would have seen your latest posts and bought 1 with me, and could have sorted a delivery via Pezza :D

I'm at work on Thurs to Sun Night. So will bring 1 with me and we'll sort the delivery.. :D

jayjay99
06-03-2007, 07:12 PM
Its a fantastic bit of kit Jay, very configurable and good choice of different display. Plus the logging and playback is perfect for tuning and seeing all the parameters.

Its definitely going into my next leggie when I get it!

I was round twickerz/richmond at the weekend had I have known you were interested could have shown you the install..

Yeah, that would've been good to see, although I was up at WRD on saturday, that was a long day. If poss I might ask to have aglance at your engine bay when I install mine, hopefully I'll be ok though.

Dan_G
06-03-2007, 08:17 PM
wow just doing some reading on the E01... that thing lookw goood!....

already got an AVC-R though.... hmm... but the data logging looks brilliant and from what I can gather you can plug in a wideband O2 sensor?..... how does it display the signal from a widband sensor?

very interesting... :thinking:

no no no.. I must'nt...

but.. /pan

Wodjno
06-03-2007, 08:49 PM
wow just doing some reading on the E01... that thing lookw goood!....

already got an AVC-R though.... hmm... but the data logging looks brilliant and from what I can gather you can plug in a wideband O2 sensor?..... how does it display the signal from a widband sensor?

very interesting... :thinking:

no no no.. I must'nt...

but.. /pan

It is done a 0 to 5v basis... 0 being say 9 afr and 5 being 22 afr..It is connected through the extenal signal harness to 1 of the Analogue Inputs.. :pimp2:

cleopatra
20-03-2007, 05:25 PM
John !! :speechles

Shouldn't you be advertising WRD's skills.. Offering a fitting service for boost controllers and the like.. /pan/pan

Yeah! How much would it cost to buy an Apexi Type R and get it fitted?

I'd just break my car in some way if I fitted it!

What's the the differene between fitting this type of boost controller and remapping the ECU?

Nutter_John
20-03-2007, 05:47 PM
Talk to me tomorrow about it Mark :2thumbsup

Wodjno
20-03-2007, 06:06 PM
Yeah! How much would it cost to buy an Apexi Type R and get it fitted?

I'd just break my car in some way if I fitted it!

What's the the differene between fitting this type of boost controller and remapping the ECU?

A boost controller is lettin you only have control over the Boost Characteristics..

Remapping, alters, fuel, timing, boost and a whole load of other bits and bobs..

cleopatra
20-03-2007, 08:13 PM
Which gives the most performance? And most performance Per £? Which is the easiest to install?

Another question. Does a standard car need any other mods if you install a boost controller or map the ECU? Cooling etc?

Wodjno
20-03-2007, 08:21 PM
Which gives the most performance? And most performance Per £? Which is the easiest to install?

Another question. Does a standard car need any other mods if you install a boost controller or map the ECU? Cooling etc?

If your starting to play around with the fuelling, a Wideband 02 sensor is advisable but not entirely necessary..

£ 4 £ a Boost controller will give you Quick Easy power uprade..

Map ECU will be able allow you to raise the boost and Map fueling and ignion etc, but is alot more money (Probably Double) with Mapping.

Another way is EBC and Piggy Back ECU.. This way you can do a bit at a time. Boost 1st and then later the fuelling and ignition etc.

The Greddy Profec E-01 can be used for the Boost and then at a later date an E-Manage Blue Piggy Back ECU can be added to tune fuelling and ignition etc. The Beauty of this pairing, is that your tuning can be done via the E-01 screen, so no need for a laptop :pimp2:

cleopatra
20-03-2007, 10:43 PM
Sounds interesting!

I think just the boost controller will be enough for me (how much more power does this give) for now. I don't want to spend too much time/money at the moment. Will any other bits need upgrading in the engine bay? If I'm going to get and induction kit is it worth fitting this first? and can you recommend a good value kit?

I've only had the car 2 weeks and my to do list is already huge. I've never wanted to modify a car before but I really do with this one!!

To do:
1. Raise rear suspension (or roll arches) drop front
2. Fluid change
3. Induction kit
4. Boost controller

I hate to think what that lot will cost. Don't tell me or it might scare me off!

Wodjno
20-03-2007, 11:11 PM
Sounds interesting!

I think just the boost controller will be enough for me (how much more power does this give) for now. I don't want to spend too much time/money at the moment. Will any other bits need upgrading in the engine bay? If I'm going to get and induction kit is it worth fitting this first? and can you recommend a good value kit?

I've only had the car 2 weeks and my to do list is already huge. I've never wanted to modify a car before but I really do with this one!!

To do:
1. Raise rear suspension (or roll arches) drop front
2. Fluid change
3. Induction kit
4. Boost controller

I hate to think what that lot will cost. Don't tell me or it might scare me off!

Right !!

Not looked at what car you have but ??

Firstly :inquisiti

WHY raise the rear suspension ??? :inquisiti And drop front ???

Secondly

Fluid change !! If ain't been done for a whule or you don't know when they were last done ? Then get the lot changed /yes

Thirdly

Induction Kit

Why and Which 1 :inquisiti

Fourthly

Good Choice /yes

cleopatra
21-03-2007, 09:42 AM
Right !!

Not looked at what car you have but ??

Firstly :inquisiti

WHY raise the rear suspension ??? :inquisiti And drop front ???

Secondly

Fluid change !! If ain't been done for a whule or you don't know when they were last done ? Then get the lot changed /yes

Thirdly

Induction Kit

Why and Which 1 :inquisiti

Fourthly

Good Choice /yes

Explanation:

1. I want to drop the front and raise back because the rear end rubs and it looks all wrong, the gap at the front is about 3 times the size of the gap at the back. So I think I may need new springs/suspension at the back and to lower the front a tad. I'd lower all round but I think this would make the rubbing even worse at the back.

2. I'm going to check with the previous owner re fluids but he's still on holiday. Going to do engine oil anyway as it looks a bit tired.

3. I thought an induction kit would improve performance is this not correct? Or isn't it worth doing?

4. I agree

jayjay99
21-03-2007, 11:06 AM
On the 3rd point most people believe that the standard induction is the best setup, putting in a mushroom filter for example will only disturb the airflow to much for the MAF and will not help things, this best thing I'd say is to keep the standard setup but change the panel filter for a k&n one. Deffinatly go for a boost controller, I recently installed the profec e-01 and am astonished by the difference, will knock seconds off your 0-60 without much effort!

cleopatra
21-03-2007, 12:05 PM
Nice one Jay.

Where's the best place to find a K&N Online? Do you know the part number?

jayjay99
21-03-2007, 06:16 PM
I've got this (http://www.potn.co.uk/-_c5206_2282_2321_2342_p1507882.htm) one in I think although it's for a Mitsubishi Galant 2.5i V6 24v, Coupe (6G73-Eng) I'd let someone double check it first before you buy but all the air boxes are the same shape and should have the same airflow and fittings.

jayjay99
21-03-2007, 06:22 PM
Or it could be this (http://www.potn.co.uk/-_c5206_2282_2321_2342_p1507881.htm) one actually, Can someone confirm which they'd use? Mine was from my old Galant which was a 2.0l GLSi so the fittings were the same.

cleopatra
21-03-2007, 07:03 PM
Hopefully it's the second one as it's a tenner cheaper!

I need to check to make sure there isn't one in already but I doubt it.

Wodjno
21-03-2007, 07:55 PM
Explanation:

1. I want to drop the front and raise back because the rear end rubs and it looks all wrong, the gap at the front is about 3 times the size of the gap at the back.

Can you post a pic of your car side on ??

Does it have standard shocks ???

Your car on standard shocks should not be rubbing at the rear !! Unless you have brokens springs or Ducked shocks, but ducked shocks wouldn't lower the rear of the car !!

cleopatra
21-03-2007, 08:19 PM
Can you post a pic of your car side on ??

Does it have standard shocks ???

Your car on standard shocks should not be rubbing at the rear !! Unless you have brokens springs or Ducked shocks, but ducked shocks wouldn't lower the rear of the car !!

Just to let you know I'm running 235/45/17 tyres. The car was fine on standard wheels.

As far as i'm aware the shocks are standard. WRD fitted a second hand pair last year before I bought the car.

Pics are here:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=233517&postcount=20

There is very little movement in the rear shocks even when i had all 4 old wheels and tyres in the boot the back end was only 3/4 inch lower than normal?

If I could raise the back by 10-20mm I'd be happy and I wouldn't have to roll the arches which I'm scared of doing!

I've been offered a full set of second hand shocks for £75 so I'll probably fit these first and see if it makes any difference?