PDA

View Full Version : Auto Gearbox

kammy.ahmed
02-05-2003, 05:43 PM
Hiya
I have had an ongoing issue INSERT INTO post VALUES (6 months) with my auto gearbox and now need a very very costly new one. Any one got any ideas as to where i can pick a used one from?

Hope someone can help!

LELACHEUR
22-05-2003, 02:10 PM
what problem have you had with your box?

kammy.ahmed
23-05-2003, 11:25 AM
when you are driving in 4rth or 5th it will just change into 3rd and and stay in 3rd. I believe i have some hard part damage in the box.

haydar
23-05-2003, 02:15 PM
Not necessarily. The gearbox in the VR4 is heavily controlled by electronics and unless you're having real problems with 4 and 5th gear INSERT INTO post VALUES (if they are making a noise or slipping) the chances are it's an electronic problem. The other thing it could be is the torque convertor or the lock up mechanism in 4th and 5th gear! INSERT INTO post VALUES (The lockup mechanism is a known fault in these cars though it usually only causes a suddering of the transmission.)

Before you commit to a new INSERT INTO post VALUES (very expensive) gearbox, get a 2nd or even a 3rd opinion. You may be able to cure the problem with something as simple as a gearbox and diff oil change.

Do you get this problem when you are in Tip mode?

kammy.ahmed
23-05-2003, 04:28 PM
I wish that you were right Haydar, but i have had this checked first from Xtreme Uk and then also from VMTT transmissions in Staffs. I had initially hoped that the problem was electronic but unfortunately after a second strip down of the auto box i am confident that it needs a very very costly replacement.
The problem is less frequent when in tip mode but is still there and is quite scary as the car appears to move into 3rd gear with a violent judderINSERT INTO post VALUES (not the best when you are cornering hard)

Although VMTT will call next week as they may have sourced the appriote internals.....differentials and bearings i think???
I have heard that the auto transmission from the Evo 7 GTA is the same, but with different ratios???
Its been a long seven months!

haydar
23-05-2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by kammy.ahmed
I wish that you were right Haydar, but i have had this checked first from Xtreme Uk and then also from VMTT transmissions in Staffs. I had initially hoped that the problem was electronic but unfortunately after a second strip down of the auto box i am confident that it needs a very very costly replacement.
The problem is less frequent when in tip mode but is still there and is quite scary as the car appears to move into 3rd gear with a violent judderINSERT INTO post VALUES (not the best when you are cornering hard)

Although VMTT will call next week as they may have sourced the appriote internals.....differentials and bearings i think???
I have heard that the auto transmission from the Evo 7 GTA is the same, but with different ratios???

That's really hard luck!!! I'm really sorry to hear about your problem. I know it's a rotten feeling and I felt pretty much the same when I had to spend £1500 on my car to stop the bloody thing from juddering in 4th and 5th gears due to the lock up mechanism not working!

Let me know how you get along.

haydar
28-05-2003, 03:22 PM

OK Rizwan

I have the following information for you. I'm going to post it to the VR4 forum too just in case there is anyone else you can help!

The company I went to is called J Judges INSERT INTO post VALUES (020 8554 3347). They are based in Ilford, Essex and all they only work on gearboxes. Many main dealers, such as Mitsubishi and Ford use them to fix problems they can't solve themselves, and this was how I found them in the first place. The person I spoke is called Kevin.

When I explained your problem with the car jumping out of 4th and 5th gears into 3rd, his immediate response was to that it sounded like the ECU. In the VR4, the ECU decides if the car should change gear. If the ECU gets incorrect input, it should fall back into a fail save mode, which doesn't sound like it's doing in your car.

Kevin did ask me a few questions, like does it only do it when it's hot or cold, etc..., but I didn't know the answer to these questions. Typically speaking, mechanical problems are there all the time while electrical glitches are the annoying occasional problem.

His recommendations are as follows:-
i. Find a garage you can trust and get them to do a system check on your ECU.
ii. Find someone near you with a VR4 and try swapping the ECU and then driving your car again to see if this fixes the problem. If it does then you know what you need to do to fix it.

If the above doesn't work then it might be something more major INSERT INTO post VALUES (ie mechanical) but Kevin thought that this is very rare.

Hope this helps and let me know how you get on.

kammy.ahmed
30-05-2003, 01:23 AM
Thanks haydar, will let you know how i get on.

kammy.ahmed
27-06-2003, 10:40 PM
Haydar, just to let you know that my car has now been fixed by a company called VMTP in Cannock. Cost me £1800!!!! Went for a blast though an realised it was worth it.
Also got an email from Derek Henton at Mitsubishi NZ who told me that he has auto box for the VR4 now for £1000 approx. Its a bit late for me but if you know anyone who 'needs' one it may be worth their while?
Thanks for your help! Kam

haydar
27-06-2003, 10:46 PM
Haydar, just to let you know that my car has now been fixed by a company called VMTP in Cannock. Cost me £1800!!!! Went for a blast though an realised it was worth it.
Also got an email from Derek Henton at Mitsubishi NZ who told me that he has auto box for the VR4 now for £1000 approx. Its a bit late for me but if you know anyone who 'needs' one it may be worth their while?
Thanks for your help! Kam

Ouch!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Well I paid £1500 so not so bad after all :p :p

Glad you've got your baby up and running. Why don't you post some pictures of your pride and joy! One good thing about this site is that we can all help each other save money, like your £1000 gearbox from NZ.

kammy.ahmed
28-06-2003, 10:50 PM
Absolutely right Haydar! I wouldnt wish a faulty gearbox on any of us!
My mate has a digital vid camera i think i may have to ask him for it and post some pics soon!

MartyB
22-12-2003, 01:00 PM
The company I went to is called J Judges INSERT INTO post VALUES (020 8554 3347). They are based in Ilford, Essex and all they only work on gearboxes. Many main dealers, such as Mitsubishi and Ford use them to fix problems they can't solve themselves, and this was how I found them in the first place. The person I spoke is called Kevin.

Guys, thanks to this forum post I have just managed to save a shed load of money. Gearbox on my '98 2.5 V6 Galant INSERT INTO post VALUES (VR4 Next year...fingers crossed!) was doing exactly the same thing.

Went to dealers in Chingford, charged me to tell me I need a new gearbox, INSERT INTO post VALUES (£7,500.00 - Just before Xmas, I nearly died) Searched around on the net, found this site, searched the forums. Spoke to Terry at J Judges and he can fix the problem for £1200.00. That is a bit more like it, just wanted to express my thanks for saving me a bucket load of cash.

Now that I'm signed up I will keep a keen eye on these forums, as they say....knowledge is power!

Thanks again Haydar! :D

Martin

Nick Mann
22-12-2003, 01:50 PM
Knowledge is power! The more we share, the more we gain, and the world will soon be ours!!!!

MWAhahahahaaaaaa!

BraindG
22-12-2003, 02:19 PM
shhh pinky, they may figure out our plan!

Nick Mann
22-12-2003, 02:28 PM
:lolz:

adam_shaw
22-12-2003, 05:09 PM
shhh pinky, they may figure out our plan!

What'll we do tomorrow night Brain, poit!

I used 3D Transmissions in Reading to fix my last autobox when it went bang INSERT INTO post VALUES (quite literally - the 'stator' broke and that was it, the car couldn't move another inch under its own power)

I'll look out their number and post it when I find it.

Adam

haydar
22-12-2003, 05:12 PM
Now that I'm signed up I will keep a keen eye on these forums, as they say....knowledge is power!

Thanks again Haydar! :D

Martin

No problem, glad I could be of help.

FTOLTD
24-12-2003, 11:26 AM
anyone interested i can get everything needed to convert VR4 auto to a manual for 1500 pound plus shipping. that includes shifter, cables, dash gauges, gearbox, transfer case, clutch, flywheel, pedal box, and clutch mastercylinder and slave cylinder. all boxed up ready to ship.

zentac
24-12-2003, 01:34 PM
This happens a lot on FTO tiptronic gearboxes, and its hardly ever mechanical. Have a look at the following page on the FTO-OC forums (http://www.ftooc.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=470&highlight=)

Stuck in 3rd gear is a limp home mode, on the FTO the "N" light flashes as well.

Nick Mann
24-12-2003, 02:10 PM
anyone interested i can get everything needed to convert VR4 auto to a manual for 1500 pound plus shipping. that includes shifter, cables, dash gauges, gearbox, transfer case, clutch, flywheel, pedal box, and clutch mastercylinder and slave cylinder. all boxed up ready to ship.

This is very interesting. Not thinking of doing it at the moment, but when the autos break this would seem like a real alternative!

landy
24-12-2003, 10:38 PM

I agree this is interesting, although I haven't got that kind of spare dosh at the moment. I do much prefer the manual to the auto though :-D

zedy1
24-12-2003, 11:02 PM
ive got best of both worlds

Kieran
24-12-2003, 11:58 PM
Oh tut, tut tut.. Look!

Auto ---> :beerbang: :hurrah: :bow:

Manual ---> :wtf: :uhoh: :end:

landy
25-12-2003, 01:15 AM
Oh tut, tut tut.. Look!

Auto ---> :beerbang: :hurrah: :bow:

Manual ---> :wtf: :uhoh: :end:

:lolz: I admit auto suits some cars, but for a sports car manual works for me INSERT INTO post VALUES (not that I'm complaining or arguing or... anything) :p :-D