PDA

View Full Version : Unichip Dealers

probbo
05-03-2007, 09:09 PM
Can anyone recommend any good Unichip dealers/tuners for the VR4?

I'm too bothered about travelling distance its the quality of the tuner that is important.

Cheers!

Nutter_John
05-03-2007, 09:12 PM
nobles of chesterfield has a good rep and tuned the fastest road legal numleg

Why not go with the map ecu 2 as it will give you just the same things but a little better control

SGHOM
05-03-2007, 09:24 PM

:pimp2: :pimp2: :scholar: :scholar: :scholar:

bernmc
05-03-2007, 10:20 PM
WRC at silverstone (where we had our dyno day) do them. Bloke was going to do us a group buy price, but we couldn't get enough people interested.

probbo
05-03-2007, 10:21 PM

Why not go with the map ecu 2 as it will give you just the same things but a little better control

Hmm, I'll have to look into a map ecu 2 a bit more, I'm just a bit more familiar with Unichip I suppose. Who are the best dealers for the map ecu 2 and how does it compare with Unichip ? Do they both give the same power / torque gains ?

While I'm at it .... why do people talk of needing a boost controller if they already have a Unichip or emanage etc? - is it just to be able to vary the boost? I know that the likes of the Unichip raise boost so I can't see a need for a boost controller apart from wanting to vary boost?

Ta

Nick Mann
05-03-2007, 10:21 PM
:pimp2: :pimp2: :scholar: :scholar: :scholar:

Err..... Race ya! But even when I win, Nutless John's statement is still valid... :P

Kieran
05-03-2007, 10:45 PM
Err..... Race ya!.........

/narrows eyes...

Shall we get 'im, Ariadne?>|

Enjoy your Glory whilst you can, Dirty Boy! It will make your inevitable downfall at the hands of your former mistress all the more pleasurable! Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow! But soon your judgement day shall come and you shall fall from glory! :evil2: :evil2:

/rattles sabre

Nick Mann
05-03-2007, 10:53 PM
/narrows eyes...

Shall we get 'im, Ariadne?>|

Enjoy your Glory whilst you can, Dirty Boy! It will make your inevitable downfall at the hands of your former mistress all the more pleasurable! Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow! But soon your judgement day shall come and you shall fall from glory! :evil2: :evil2:

/rattles sabre

And that was on topic how?

Bored now.... The day you beat me will be a good one, I'm sure, but I live in the real world!! ;) In the meantime, maybe you have a unichip and can mention who tuned it?

/pan :P

And back on topic - most chips control the fuelling only. The boost is not controlled by the ecu - AFAIK the VR4's boost control is completely done by mechanical/pneumatic linkages from the inlet pressure and the turbo wastegate. Certainly, my boost is not controlled by the unichip.

Nick Mann
05-03-2007, 10:55 PM
Also it is worth saying that the MAP ecu removes the need for a MAF. Theoretically, this is one of the most restrictive parts of the system. WHen you don't need it, you can not only remove it, but feed each turbo seperately from its own filter. This could see a nice increase in the flow of the turbo.

Kieran
05-03-2007, 10:57 PM
Bored now.... The day you beat me will be a good one, I'm sure, but I live in the real world!! ;)

/nag /nag /nag

Sorry for the /Hijack (But HE started it, muttermuttermutter, /catfight)

bernmc
05-03-2007, 11:43 PM
Hmm, I'll have to look into a map ecu 2 a bit more, I'm just a bit more familiar with Unichip I suppose. Who are the best dealers for the map ecu 2 and how does it compare with Unichip ? Do they both give the same power / torque gains ?

While I'm at it .... why do people talk of needing a boost controller if they already have a Unichip or emanage etc? - is it just to be able to vary the boost? I know that the likes of the Unichip raise boost so I can't see a need for a boost controller apart from wanting to vary boost?

Ta

Don't know much about the unichip, but if it's any good, it'll have a channel for boost control. The MAP ECU2 does (one of the differences between it and the MAP ECU1), as does emanage ultimate. Not sure exactly how you go about setting it up though, and whether it can be used with the standard solenoid...

You've just missed a group buy for the MAP ECU2 (do a quick search and you'll find the thread. benh on these forums is the official UK supplier.

probbo
06-03-2007, 07:30 PM
What sort of power and torque gains are you getting with the map ecu 2 then?

Nutter_John
06-03-2007, 08:57 PM
Depends on what you tune it too , the MAP ecu2 will allow you too tune the car to it's best for the mods you have done .

probbo
06-03-2007, 09:07 PM
Depends on what you tune it too , the MAP ecu2 will allow you too tune the car to it's best for the mods you have done .

For a standard car what results could you expect?
Who does the mapping of the MAP ecu2 also?

Nutter_John
06-03-2007, 09:13 PM
tough to say , but with the boost upped you should be able to get close to 300

then as you add more and more bits you can tweak the tune to suit them , thus take your time to build things

probbo
06-03-2007, 09:47 PM
Sounds good. Sorry to ask so many questions but I have come from VAG ecu tuning which was a lot less complicated - drive in, reflash, drive out !

Nutter_John
06-03-2007, 09:59 PM
fully understand and if WRD can be of any help then let us know , we will be offering a sell and fit service soon

probbo
07-03-2007, 09:04 PM
That would be great when they do and would be a definate first choice

Eurospec
07-03-2007, 11:11 PM
In terms of gains, on a map ecu 1 equiped gto, with supporting mods, a gain of close to 100bhp has been recorded in the UK. Now that is cooking on gas!

In a galant, in std form you should see very solid gains. With the map ecu 2, you get fuel control, ignition control and boost control, each of those on their own should make decent gains.

When i have a before and after dyno, i will post you a graph.

Cheers,

Ben.

probbo
08-03-2007, 10:00 AM
In terms of gains, on a map ecu 1 equiped gto, with supporting mods, a gain of close to 100bhp has been recorded in the UK. Now that is cooking on gas!

In a galant, in std form you should see very solid gains. With the map ecu 2, you get fuel control, ignition control and boost control, each of those on their own should make decent gains.

When i have a before and after dyno, i will post you a graph.

Cheers,

Ben.

That would be great thanks.

I take it the map ecu2 would raise the boost level without need for a separate boost controller/bleed valve?

Also who would map the ecu2, is it yourself and is it done on a rolling road or out on the road?

Nutter_John
08-03-2007, 10:18 AM
you can do the tuning on the road as this best represents the true driving style of the car , as experieenced by Hedgepig you can't account for everything on a RR .

WRD are meeting up with the UK distributor and tuners to discuss this soon , hopefully once this is done we will be doing a fit and sell package

( PS I'm part of WRD Probbo)

Lillywotsername
08-03-2007, 04:13 PM
( PS I'm part of WRD Probbo)
Yep.... hes the brains of the out fit. !!!!

Richys the practical one and Dereks the good looking one!!! hehehe

Eurospec
09-03-2007, 12:15 PM
When i map a car i do a load of road work, and also RR too.

RR can get you into the sections of the map you cant get into on the road- or at least for long enough to map them.

The best maps are done on the road because they simulate every day conditions, but you need to get it on the rollers too just to get some of the hard to get at parts and also to compare before and after.

Cheers,

Ben.