PDA

View Full Version : speaker sizes

Mitsi-Wayne
07-03-2007, 03:25 PM
hi guys do any of you know what size the standard speakers are in my 7g 1996 galant gls also where they are all located as i have some that sound like they have blown and would like to upgrade them.

regards

Wayne

retrogeordy
17-01-2009, 12:48 AM
I would like to ask the same question. I have done loads of searches and there are no difinitive answers. So can anyone tell me the sizes of the front speakers and the back speakers. (not what will fit or what to do and not to do.) Just the basisc sizes please.

Thanks

John.

HMG1K
17-01-2009, 01:07 AM
7G - I don't know - maybe an idea to take them out, or at least take the door panels / grills off to measure. Someone else on here may be able to help with a set answer.

Retrogeordy - looks like you have an 8G, going by your photo, which case they are 17cm all round (front and rear doors). Tweaters you can upgrade with a tiny bit of modification. I used the Kenwood HQ tweaters in mine and they make abig difference to the standard fit tweets (IMO).

retrogeordy
17-01-2009, 01:16 AM
7G - I don't know - maybe an idea to take them out, or at least take the door panels / grills off to measure. Someone else on here may be able to help with a set answer.

Retrogeordy - looks like you have an 8G, going by your photo, which case they are 17cm all round (front and rear doors). Tweaters you can upgrade with a tiny bit of modification. I used the Kenwood HQ tweaters in mine and they make abig difference to the standard fit tweets (IMO).

Thanks for that

HMG1K
17-01-2009, 11:23 AM
Thanks for that

You're welcome! :happy:

Fully
17-01-2009, 03:26 PM
Were I have mine - Custom 6*9's In the tray.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3112563/2
4" front.
6" rear.

HMG1K
17-01-2009, 04:00 PM
Were I have mine - Custom 6*9's In the tray.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3112563/2
4" front.
6" rear.

WOW! Love where the front speakers are on the 7G - on the 6G they were in the same place, put on the top of the dash - two great places.

I think the 8G locatiom of having them in the doors are wasted. I know sound banging up to glass is nowhere near ideal for accoustics, butthe sound was better if you have it, like me, all it the back for sound and thr front for a bit of 'flavour'.

jack_crowley
03-06-2010, 11:57 AM
I've got 6.5" jaycar kevlar splits and 6.5" sony 4 ways, but neither of them fit in the rear parcel shelf, they both are about 1-2cm smaller than the hole diameter, what speakers will fit the rear of the galant 8g?

Gizmo
27-02-2011, 10:40 PM
Tweaters you can upgrade with a tiny bit of modification. I used the Kenwood HQ tweaters in mine and they make abig difference to the standard fit tweets (IMO).

What size tweeters would i need to upgrade? I have seen .5" and 1". I know i will probably need to do a bit of modification, but thats cool with me. :P

HMG1K
28-02-2011, 08:21 AM
Hi Josh

I bought the Kenwood KFC-HQT15ie tweeters at the time (http://www.justkenwood.co.uk/car-audio.aspx/kfc-hqt15ie-speakers ,) about three years ago now - top of the range for Kenwood then - with the following features:

* High quality component tweeters with crossover
* 170W peak power handling
* Includes image enhancer technology
* 19mm titanium dome tweeter with neodymium magnet
* High quality crossover network with protection circuit

They've now been replaced by the inferior, in my opinion, KFC-ST30 - so if you can find the HQ range anywhere (eBay perhaps) go with those. I chose them at the time, not just for their performance, but size. Without the casing, which is easily detachable, they fit snug behind the OEM tweeter housing on the door, with some Blacktak to keep them in place.

They do sound amazing - I've got them hooked up to x4 Pioneer TS-E 1796 3-way Emotion speakers ( http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/archive/TS-E1796/index.html ) with the high end Pioneer DEX-P99RS headunit and the slim Pioneer sub, Pioneer TS-WX77A

Hope this helps :-)

Gizmo
28-02-2011, 10:35 AM
Hey Philip

Thanks for all the info!

I had a quick nosey for those tweeters you mentioned, found them on ebay in the USA for about £50. They look very nice! Im hoping to get these speakers all around when i can afford them (http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/6693/referer/rc_googleproduct.html) but not sure how good the tweeters that come with them will be. I plan to have all four speakers & tweeters powered by a 4 channel amp, along with new speaker wiring all around and a sub of some description with its own amp of course. But for the moment this is all just a dream...sucks to be out of work. =(

I currently have an Alpine headunit (cant remember the model), powering the Vibe SE- K60 mids in the front, standard Mitsu tweeters in the front and the horrible old standard Mitsu mids in the rear. The only thing i have put in the car myself is the headunit, everything else is either standard or has been changed by a previous owner. I have just got my hands on a cheap Fusion EN-AM30020 2 channel amp that i plan to install under the front passenger seat just to drive the front speakers as the amp in the headunit is crap >_< Should keep me going for a little bit, hehe.

Anyway, enough rambling from me! Just thought i would see if anyone knew the size of the front tweeters for when i get around to changing them, hehe.

Cheers!

HMG1K
28-02-2011, 10:46 AM
Sounds cool - as with all speakers, also consider the frequency response. Go for as-low-a-figure and as-high-a-figure you can.

That's a great idea to rewire the speakers - I did that to mine, using top quality and rated / reviewed cable as I could get. The pig was getting the thick cable from the car through the really tight grommets between the cabin and the front doors. There are already loads of wires running through that channel, but many hours, scuffed knuckles, and patience - I managed it. If you need a place for your amp, a great place (if it is the right size) is under the front passenger seat! :-)

Gizmo
28-02-2011, 11:30 AM
I hope it will sound cool! :P But i will have a look at speaker options for sure! I try not to look now as i just end up teasing myself with things i cant have, hehe. If you have any suggestions though feel free to share them! :D

As for the speakers rewiring, i guessed it was going to be a pain in the **** but also well worth it as you cant expect the tiny little stock speaker cables to cope with a high end system, it would just bottle neck it!

You seem like a guy in the know Philip! May have to pick your brains when i get around to my future ICE install! :P

Gizmo
28-02-2011, 11:34 AM
On a side note, i just found those speakers of yours for a cracking price! http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-pioneer-ts-e1796_p-20289.htm

HMG1K
28-02-2011, 12:06 PM
Anytime - ask away! That's around the same price I paid, give or take a couple of pounds, so don't be fooled by the hundreds of ££££s They're discontinued now, Pioneer do 2-way versions. I bought these as I had the 16cm version in my old 6G Galant, loved the sound, so went for these.

If you ever want a listen to how these Pioneers sound with the Kenwood HQ tweeters, feel free to pop over! :-)

Gizmo
28-02-2011, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the offer! Might have to take you up on that at some point :P Are you running your speakers off a seperate amp or are they being driven off the headunit?

HMG1K
28-02-2011, 12:19 PM
Running this head unit - Pioneer DEX 99RS http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/products/25/121/61/DEX-P99RS/index.html and the speakers all off a 4-channel Pioneer reference series amp, PRS-D420, which is very compact compared to other 4-channel amps - http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/products/25/29/182/PRS-D420/index.html

Gizmo
28-02-2011, 12:44 PM
Sounds like a pretty nice setup you have there! Hope to have something similar one day. I miss being able to have somewhere to crank up my music!

Scanny
07-06-2013, 03:56 PM
what do i need for the legnum? i dont want a stand alone amp since i really dont need it but there must be better quality speakers around that can be a straight swap upgrade over 16 year old speakers

exevoowner
10-06-2013, 02:39 PM
Scanny standard size is about 17cms so 2 seta one for front and 1 in the rear is all i did with mine they sound perrty good on a standard stereo