PDA

View Full Version : Mulching Mower Recommendations...?

bernmc
07-03-2007, 09:36 PM
Ffing useless mountfield piece of poo mower has died. Piece of rubbish - bits started falling off the bloody thing the moment I took it out of it's box!

Only had it a year, and half the screws are buried somewhere in the lawn, one of the front wheels has bust it's adjuster, so just flops about like a 90 year old's willy, pull start has broken etc etc :|

So I need to get a new mower. Must be petrol, pref self propelled (lazy bastard with a long, awkward lawn) and mulch. Budget around £300.

Any recomendations?

And I need to get it quickly - saw a tiger creeping about this morning :o

I am not, at this point in time, allowed a ride on mower. I ask you. :|

Nick Mann
07-03-2007, 09:47 PM
We bought a qualcast cylinder mower a couple of years ago and I am very pleased with it. It is not the best if the grass gets very long - I employ a cheap flymo to sort it out if that happens. Regular use of the cylinder mower flattens the ground the dog has unflattened and seems to promote even grass growth, when compared to using the cheapy flymo all the time.

We bought a factory graded unit to get it for less than £300 notes, something like this, although a different supplier.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Qualcast-Classic-35s-Petrol-Cylinder-Lawnmower_W0QQitemZ170088883751QQihZ007QQcategoryZ 71272QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

psbarham
07-03-2007, 09:56 PM
Bern after spending many years as a grounds maintenance contractor , there is only one word for you , HONDA .go for a 21" izy with collection , sod this mulching lark , if the grass is damp you will spend more time with the mower on its side unblocking it , if you treat that mower right it will out last your kids , change the oil every 4-6 months and always let it warm up and cool down before starting / finishing your lawn , oh and if you get one i have a handy tip or 2 to make them even better .
this information will self destruct in 10 mins unless green dots exchange owners ;)

psbarham
07-03-2007, 10:08 PM
here ya go , even better than an izy , a pro , with hydrostatic g/box , these are the muts nuts
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/honda-pro-hrh-536-4-wheeled_W0QQitemZ160092770905QQihZ006QQcategoryZ71 272QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HONDA-HRH536HXE-21-CUT-PRO-4-WHEEL-LAWNMOWER_W0QQitemZ280089489268QQihZ018QQcategoryZ 71272QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The Vee
07-03-2007, 10:11 PM
graze the sheep/pan

Lillywotsername
07-03-2007, 10:14 PM
graze the sheep/pan
Beat me too it Andy.... I was going to ask if Bern couldn't just let one or two of his "Lady friends" roam free for a day or two

stuartturbo
07-03-2007, 10:14 PM
one word TARMAC LOL

psbarham
07-03-2007, 10:15 PM
graze the sheep/pan
'tis funny you should say that , for the 1/2 acre playground next to the house , we have decided to get a 2 goats to trim the grass for us , much cheaper than a ride on

The Vee
07-03-2007, 10:16 PM
hehe could be another of one of "those" threads:inquisiti

The Vee
07-03-2007, 10:18 PM
much cheaper than a ride on

errrr you may send Bern into a dizzy with that one!!

Lillywotsername
07-03-2007, 10:19 PM
PMSL..... /lol /haz

psbarham
07-03-2007, 10:50 PM
errrr you may send Bern into a dizzy with that one!!
well why else do goats have horns ????????

Funkstar
07-03-2007, 11:23 PM
Here ya go Bern. Best of both worlds. All you need is some sexy lingerie for her and your good to go.

Kieran
08-03-2007, 12:10 AM
one word TARMAC LOL

:2thumbsup /lol

Brunty
08-03-2007, 12:23 AM
so just flops about like a 90 year old's willy

WTF? I've heard the urban myths about your lot (anaethatists, not South Africans), but surely gaining this sort of knowledge must contravene your hypocratic oath?

Dad swears by his Hayter. I'm getting goats once I out grow my flat (or save several hundred thousand pounds).

bernmc
08-03-2007, 12:39 AM
Goats eat the roots as well as the 'leaves'. They're responsible for vast tracts of erosion in africa. And the meat is tough and hairy.

You lot should know these things.

Honda eh... will keep an eye on those aictions.

Ground is bit rough for a cylindrical mower.

psbarham
08-03-2007, 07:51 AM
cylinder mowers are ok if you cut your lawn 2 times a week and there are no dandilions or daiseys in it , trust me on the honda bern it WILL be the last mower you ever buy

bernmc
08-03-2007, 09:24 AM
How about honda-powred mowers PSB? Or should it be all Honda?

eg: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ALKO-PETROL-LAWNMOWER-4700HW-HONDA-ENGINE-EASY-MOW-NEW_W0QQitemZ110099778213QQihZ001QQcategoryZ71272Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem although that partic model is cheaper elsewhere....

and, a brief and risky aside from Honda... what about Husqvarnas? http://www.amsmachinery.co.uk/stock_husqvarna_model__675es_electric_strt-40_15.aspx

Those damn Hondas are popular - people pay money for them :o grrr!

g6acb
08-03-2007, 10:52 AM
2nd thumbs up :thumbsup: for Honda here - have had a HRB476c for knocking on 10 years - mows 3/4 acre a week - and hasn't missed a beat.....

... having said that also have a Mountfield of 1983 vintage that still runs as well, altough its a bit loud as I knocked the silencer off a few years ago

So PSB, what are these 'tweeks' for the honda then?? :thinking:

MPBVr4
08-03-2007, 12:43 PM
Got a 10 year old ATCO self powered rotary with collection, starts first time every season. Never been serviced, top up oil once a year works like a dream.
Also got an original Flymo for the rough stuff, 28 years old !! still starts second
pull only replaced the plug twice. Also got a "Stiga" ride on mulcher for when I'm feeling bone idle/pan

Nick Mann
08-03-2007, 02:43 PM
Ground is bit rough for a cylindrical mower.Thats half of the reason I bought one. We had turf laid in the garden and it was near as dammit perfectly flat. 2 years of dog playing on it and it was like the himalayas! The weight of the mower on the rear cylinder helps to squash it flat again.
I've never had a Honda, so can't compare.

cylinder mowers are ok if you cut your lawn 2 times a week and there are no dandilions or daiseys in it.
I'm not that anal! Just because I share hair colour with Kieran doesn't mean that I have fetishes for tidyness!!

bernmc
08-03-2007, 03:43 PM
Just because I share hair colour with Kieran doesn't mean that I have fetishes for tidyness!!
Youre' a red-head!!??? Oh no. I feel so unclean! I must shower. I must wash. I must scrub. I... can't talk right now - it's all to much for me :bigcry:

;)/lol

Nick Mann
08-03-2007, 08:42 PM
I feel so unclean! I must shower. I must wash. I must scrub. I...

I am a red-head. However you are talking like Kieran!! /pan

Alex
08-03-2007, 08:43 PM
Youre' a red-head!!??? Oh no. I feel so unclean! I must shower. I must wash. I must scrub. I... can't talk right now - it's all to much for me :bigcry:

;)/lol

Oi! You're dissin' my two favourite men! /pan

Don't you know that red hair's the best?

psbarham
08-03-2007, 09:41 PM
So PSB, what are these 'tweeks' for the honda then?? :thinking:
i could tell you but then i'd have to stripe you with a ransomes ride on . ooh that acctually sounds really painfull

g6acb
08-03-2007, 09:43 PM
Don't you know that red hair's the best?

Kieran - you can turn the machines off now - the 'brainwashing complete' button has just illuminated :curtain:

Kieran
09-03-2007, 12:16 AM

;)/lol

YOU have just jumped to the top of my list of people to burn in the new KieranCorp power-station! (save the environment, cleanse the gene pool and crush crime in one easy step).

I am a red-head. However you are talking like Kieran!...

YOU are guilty of the crime of insulting a fellow member of the pure hair coloured race! Your sentence will also take into account your previous offences under the KieranCorp Clean Car Act, 2002 (revised 2007)!

Kieran - you can turn the machines off now - the 'brainwashing complete' button has just illuminated...

And YOU...... just made me laugh! /lol However you shall still be burned for suggesting that women need their minds altering before going out with redheads! I'll have you know in past history (before all that nonsense in the middle ages about red hair being a mark of the devil and such), redheads were the dominant force! Oh yes! We got all the girls and clubbed anyone who got in the way! Raaa!/pan

psbarham
09-03-2007, 07:48 AM
YOU have just jumped to the top of my list of people to burn in the new KieranCorp power-station! (save the environment, cleanse the gene pool and crush crime in one easy step).

YOU are guilty of the crime of insulting a fellow member of the pure hair coloured race! Your sentence will also take into account your previous offences under the KieranCorp Clean Car Act, 2002 (revised 2007)!

And YOU...... just made me laugh! /lol However you shall still be burned for suggesting that women need their minds altering before going out with redheads! I'll have you know in past history (before all that nonsense in the middle ages about red hair being a mark of the devil and such), redheads were the dominant force! Oh yes! We got all the girls and clubbed anyone who got in the way! Raaa!/pan

wakey wakey kieren , time for you tablets now

Paul Beazer
09-03-2007, 08:17 AM

Jeez, are you short as well? All power crazed loonies usually are, ginger's just the optional psyco extra! (Im trying to get back to the top of your hit list BTW)

Spirit
09-03-2007, 09:07 AM
Don't you just love these types of threads.......

"Which mower" becomes "Kieran's death list" soooooo quickly......../haz

Kieran
09-03-2007, 11:14 AM
Don't you just love these types of threads.......

"Which mower" becomes "Kieran's death list" soooooo quickly......../haz

/haz /haz /haz /haz

/grr /pan /Hijack :oops: :embarasse :embarasse

Nothing to see here! Carry on peeps!

Paul Beazer
09-03-2007, 05:00 PM
I meant to say, has anyone asked Heath about this?

HJM
09-03-2007, 05:13 PM
I meant to say, has anyone asked Heath about this?

Wot, lawnmowers or being a ginger :inquisiti

J :)

Alex
09-03-2007, 06:43 PM
PMSL at this thread /toycar

Kieran
09-03-2007, 08:59 PM

STOP referring to us as "A Ginger" or you'll be put on the burning list too! /Grrr

Christ, at this rate there'll be half the bloody club on there!:speechles

HJM
09-03-2007, 09:02 PM
STOP referring to us as "A Ginger" or you'll be put on the burning list too! /Grrr

Ooh, terrified :thinking:

J

psbarham
09-03-2007, 09:02 PM

Christ, at this rate there'll be half the bloody club on there!:speechles
what would suit you better then?
freak of nature ?
spawn of Satan?
Duracell?
swan Vesta ?

anybody else add to this list ?

Kieran
09-03-2007, 09:04 PM
Someone pass me another piece of paper! The list is getting longer! /Grrr

bernmc
09-03-2007, 09:07 PM
Someone pass me another piece of paper! The list is getting longer!

Why hasn't anyone set fire to this bloke yet :evil2:????

WILDCARDS!!!!!!?????? Come here man!!!!!

Nutter_John
09-03-2007, 09:08 PM
because looking at his head it is already on fire :p

Lillywotsername
09-03-2007, 09:09 PM
freak of nature ?
spawn of Satan?
Duracell?
swan Vesta ?

anybody else add to this list ?
NO WAY.............

I have heard all about the punishments handed out at KierenCorp Towers.....

If they weren't meant to teach you the error of your ways I would say Kieren has a very kinky perversion. Hmmmmmmm ...... Now what other Ginger is of the same persuasion :thinking: /haz

g6acb
09-03-2007, 09:58 PM
new KieranCorp power-station! (save the environment,

Its true - kieran has indeed gone green (in an environmental rather than a folicle way)

Copy of KieranCorp CAPS v1.1.0 has just been found on google.......

http://ginger.ore.to/images/title.gif

Paul Beazer
09-03-2007, 10:56 PM

Well? He didnt look ginger when i last saw him!

Stop using his login dammit woman!

Kieran
09-03-2007, 10:59 PM
Its true - kieran has indeed gone green (in an environmental rather than a folicle way)

Copy of KieranCorp CAPS v1.1.0 has just been found on google.......

http://ginger.ore.to/images/title.gif

:afro: /haz

Nick Mann
09-03-2007, 11:10 PM
freak of nature ?
spawn of Satan?
Duracell?
swan Vesta ?

In order:
Many people carry the ginger gene, likely you do too! But only us pure bloods are actually able to prove it.
Devilishly hot? Alex knows that already!!
Lasts 6 times longer....... ;)
Not with an ar$e the size of mine! :inquisiti

Kieran
09-03-2007, 11:17 PM
.....us pure bloods ....

Love it! /haz

Next person to step out of line gets Avada Kedavra'd! /lol

g6acb
09-03-2007, 11:22 PM
Love it! /haz

Next person to step out of line gets Avada Kedavra'd! /lol

WTF? Barry Potter and the Curse of the Ginger Fringe??

quaking dans mon boots

Kieran
09-03-2007, 11:24 PM

quaking dans mon boots

:veryangry

AVADA KEDAVRA!!

HJM
09-03-2007, 11:26 PM
Well? He didnt look ginger when i last saw him!

Stop using his login dammit woman!

Really? Well, you weren't looking close enough Paul /lol

I think you'll find it's OUR login actually :)

J

g6acb
09-03-2007, 11:29 PM
oh wow thats wierd.... suddenly got this pain down my left arm.. heart racing..... shortness of breath....sudden urge to clean car.... stabbing pains....... can't type anymo

Kieran
09-03-2007, 11:39 PM
oh wow thats wierd.... suddenly got this pain down my left arm.. heart racing..... shortness of breath....sudden urge to clean car.... stabbing pains....... can't type anymo

Oh wow! It works! It works! /Devil5

Stand still a minute Bern........

AVADA KEDAVRA!!

Alex
10-03-2007, 12:05 AM

quaking dans mon boots

PMSL! Classic come back!

bernmc
10-03-2007, 01:21 PM
Oh wow! It works! It works! /Devil5

Stand still a minute Bern........

AVADA KEDAVRA!!

mmm. not feeling it... not feeling it... apart from a certain fullness of the bowels....

bernmc
11-03-2007, 07:06 PM
Wot about this one then PSButtyboy... not fully honda, but has a honda engine:

Al-Ko 5200HW Easy-Mow

Motor Honda GCV160
Power 5.5hp
Drive Power Driven
Mowing Deck Steel
Cutting Width 51cm
Cutting Height Adjustment Single Lever
Wheels/Tyres High Wheel Powered Rear Wheels
Box Volume 65 litre
RRP £419.95

psbarham
11-03-2007, 07:10 PM
try this price mcsheeptweaker

http://www.mowdirect.co.uk/acatalog/ALKO_LAWNMOWERS__PETROL_ROTARY_.html

a bit cheaper than you found

bernmc
11-03-2007, 07:50 PM
try this price mcsheeptweaker

http://www.mowdirect.co.uk/acatalog/ALKO_LAWNMOWERS__PETROL_ROTARY_.html

a bit cheaper than you found

Found it for 359 inc vat and delivery yokel - http://www.gardening-tools-direct.co.uk/Merchant2/4.13/merchant.mv? but I can't seem to get their online ordering system to work. Will have to phone.

bernmc
13-03-2007, 07:44 PM
Well thar she is... assembled by my own fair hand. Bit fiddly - lucky I'm a child prodigy - a lesser man would have cried!

Ordered at about 3pm yesterday, arrived at 1030 this morning :o.

I made the face that goes :| when one of the bits was missing, and then the face that goes :embarasse when I found it lurking under the pressure washer and I had to phone the supplier and admit my mistake!

Seems to work well - bigger than the bloody useless Mountfield, and quite a bit quieter. Filled the green wheeliebin with grass without anything falling off, so a good start.

If it dies in a year, I'll be boiling Paul's rabbit...:inquisiti

psbarham
13-03-2007, 07:52 PM
Well thar she is... assembled by my own fair hand. Bit fiddly - lucky I'm a child prodigy - a lesser man would have cried!

Ordered at about 3pm yesterday, arrived at 1030 this morning :o.

I made the face that goes :| when one of the bits was missing, and then the face that goes :embarasse when I found it lurking under the pressure washer and I had to phone the supplier and admit my mistake!

Seems to work well - bigger than the bloody useless Mountfield, and quite a bit quieter. Filled the green wheeliebin with grass without anything falling off, so a good start.

If it dies in a year, I'll be boiling Paul's rabbit...:inquisiti
looks ok mate , do one more cut then drop the oil , do that a couple of times and then every 2-3 months during cutting season , make sure you keep the blade razor sharp to save it working too hard , oh and don't forget to let it warm up on a fast tickover for 5-10 mins before using it
oh and i don't own a rabbit , but there is plenty of wild ones round here , well they are wild coz i keep calling them names :inquisiti

bernmc
13-03-2007, 08:02 PM
:thumbsup:

g6acb
13-03-2007, 10:33 PM
Seems a good choice in the mower department - but what subtropical sahara paradise are you living in to be mowing the lawn before St Paddy's day?

bernmc
13-03-2007, 11:17 PM
Seems a good choice in the mower department - but what subtropical sahara paradise are you living in to be mowing the lawn before St Paddy's day?

You are clearly unaware that the sun shines whenever I stand up... /lol

g6acb
13-03-2007, 11:56 PM
what do you do to make the daffodills come out then? .... actually no... dont answer that.... mad visions have just flashed in front of my eyes involving sheep :thinking: :thinking: