PDA

View Full Version : Honda Civic Type-R

MGV6
08-03-2007, 09:13 PM
lol, don't worry I ain't brought it. I'm still with Galant :)

I had the chance today to test drive my mates new Honda Civic Type-R (2007 on range) as he brought it to work today. The new ones as many of you might know looks very futuristic just like the previos edition but just slightly better and the type-R looks so so stunning.

When I went inside it, it was like WTF, everything is just like what it should be. All the controls are just where it should be and solidly built. Buttons are smooth and seats feel so comfortable. Lots of gadgets in there too.

Then comes the engine, most of us know about Honda's V-tec engine. This particular car I think has 200bhp and 200bhp on a small car is of course is breathtaking. The acceleration is so incredible, so responsive and very very nippy. I like this car but the price tag is just a bit too high atm of course coz it has only just been introduced.

Lovely car but having said that, it still DOES NOT stand up to our Galant for styling. Honestly, for looks the Galant still stands out far more then most other cars I've seen. Civic Type-R has some style but VR4/Sport still in my view is the best. BMW Sport models look cool but still when it stands next to Galant, there is only one outright winner for looks :)

bernmc
09-03-2007, 12:14 AM
Got a dreadful write-up in last month's EVO mag...

WildCards
09-03-2007, 09:49 AM
The new Civic has essentially the same engine as the outgoing model but is a heavier car. Honda have buggered about with the VTEC timing slightly to make sure the 0-60 figures match and stupidly they've replaced the indpendant rear suspension for a torsion beam. I've read elsewhere that this is to make the ride more comfortable and increase boot space, but it's a bit of a step backwards IMO, torsion beams are alright and can be fun with lift off oversteer but they are a cheap alternative for good reason.

I like the new Civic, it looks good and has an air of quality over it but I think Honda have shot themselves in the foot ditching the decent suspension and not making extra power from the 2.0. There are too many quicker alternatives about these days.

Throbbe
09-03-2007, 10:43 AM
Not a fan of the interior. Looks like it was designed by a committee, rather than one person. Love the exterior styling though.

I was a big fan of the old Type-R. It was pretty much identical to my Scirocco for acceleration and handling, but a bit better on the brakes. Went in a 310bhp turbod example and that was like a motorbike!