PDA

View Full Version : Putting the Galant on axle stands

RugbyPete
09-03-2007, 03:45 PM
Ok so I know where to jack the Galant up, but where do I stick the axle stands?

The manual says the sills, these people say no:
http://www-gatago.com/uk/rec/cars/maintenance/26200853.html

The manual says to use the sills and some rubber... a) is this true and b) where would I get a block of rubber from??

I'm going out to buy some new stands, no doubt they will have the standard flat saddle, so will need something unless I want to squash the sill lip flat

Kieran
09-03-2007, 03:51 PM
The manual is correct.

Blocks of soft wood are okay if you can't get rubber. The sill lip will cleave into soft wood and settle without bending. You can also buy from places like machine mart axle stands that have a 'Y' shaped bed, and they're not expensive for a 3 ton set. I've got a pair and they allow you to support the car nicely.

If you're jacking from the front using the crossmember jacking point, you might find the car will lift slightly unevenly - one side slightly higher than the other. This is normal behaviour and doesn't mean your car is bent.

Throbbe
09-03-2007, 03:57 PM
I did the block of wood thing, but they split after the first use. Would be interested to hear what others use.

Kieran
09-03-2007, 04:08 PM
I did the block of wood thing, but they split after the first use. Would be interested to hear what others use.

A lot of wood! :embarasse /lol

RugbyPete
09-03-2007, 04:16 PM
chipboard soft enough??

Got sh*t loads of that!

peter thomson
09-03-2007, 04:20 PM
I think from experience the chipboard will be to hard and just crack. A good piece of softish pine would probably be good

RugbyPete
09-03-2007, 04:30 PM
what about soggy chipboard thats been out in the rain for 6 weeks? /Hmmm :d

peter thomson
09-03-2007, 04:38 PM
It will just crumble. Find a piece of good pine

WildCards
09-03-2007, 04:40 PM
Put your hand under it

Throbbe
09-03-2007, 04:54 PM
A lot of wood! :embarasse /lol

Arf.

i did have loads of spare offcuts gathered over about 5 years, but I threw it all out recently in a fit of worrying that I was turning into my dad. Yes, I even built a screwdriver rack, and had a special paint stirring stick. :embarasse

RugbyPete
09-03-2007, 09:58 PM
Ok, so I'm typing from my pda in A&E, the chipboard did crumble, so my only option until the timber yard opens tomorrow was to use my hand as instructed, but I heard a big crack and red stuff everywhere, which at first I thought was the fluid from the AT (being supported by an old teapot stacked on two heavy duty lunchboxes) but turned out to be my hand afterall!

Nevermind hey, they said I should be able to have a week of work so thats cool, every cloud!

stuartturbo
09-03-2007, 10:11 PM
I must admit to putting a standard jack then bottle jack on the front corner just inside the sill then straight onto standard axle stands

Paul Beazer
09-03-2007, 10:35 PM
and had a special paint stirring stick. :embarasse

OMG! I've just realised, i've got one of them too! NOOOOOOoooooo!

Kenneth
09-03-2007, 11:38 PM
Over here in NZ we usually just put the jacks straight on the seam of the jack point. It is strong enough that so long as you dont do anything stupid (I think brad managed to...) they seam will hold fine.

RugbyPete
10-03-2007, 06:01 PM
Couldnt quite get my axel stands under the sill on the drivers side, so had to use a bit of wood ont he jack itself to get it high enough.

Once up, I got it on the axle stands but their lowest setting :( Not a lot of room to get under.

The wood split about half an hour in, i jumped out for safety but it compressed and settled down. One thing i did notice though is I looked over to my jack and it had completely reseated itself to its beginning position, meaning those idiots who dont use any stands would have slowly been crushed if they had used mine.

Still, full 8 litres of oil later, the cars flushed and ready to go, just the ATF to go (I say JUST!) and I can relax a bit, should arrive Tuesday.

The Vee
10-03-2007, 06:49 PM
If you use a decent bit of wood, rout out a channel in it which the seam will fit into.

Wodjno
10-03-2007, 07:08 PM
If you place the pine so the seam is accross the grain it shouldn't split... 1/2 or 3/4 inch Ply is 1 of the best to use.. /yes

Or you could use Oak, like myself :D

KHK
11-03-2007, 02:54 PM
i use 1 inch thick wood and it works fine

scc
11-03-2007, 08:48 PM
I just place the car straight on the seams without issues?

cheers,
scc

Nutter_John
11-03-2007, 09:01 PM
I use a four post lift with wheel free fittings :p

Lillywotsername
12-03-2007, 09:22 AM
I use a four post lift with wheel free fittings :p
Smart A$$

RugbyPete
12-03-2007, 10:16 AM
Hey, Aston Martins smaller factory is closing down this year... that means about 40 free standing two and four poster lifts going cheap :)

Doubt I'll get em in the boot though... wonder if I can label them up as PC equipement to get em off site ;)