PDA

View Full Version : Lagging the intercooler pipes

Kieran
09-03-2007, 04:07 PM
Today I've finally got around to troubleshooting my car's lukewarm performance and i've been concentrating on reducing heat soaking. So, armed with 100feet (not used it all, obviously!) of exhaust wrap and some aluminium heat reflective tape, I've lagged the hard pipes going from the intercooler outlet to the black throttle body pipe.

It's worked nicely. The inlet temps have clearly come down - there's a little more 'oomf', my boost has stabilised quite considerably and more tellingly, after a spirited run the turbo outlet pipes (pre-intercooler) are too hot to touch, whereas the post-intercooler pipework is only slightly warm - before it was almost as toasty as the pre-intercooler side!:speechles

The problem's been caused by heat transfer - namely from the top coolant hose and the ATF cooler pipework - they were tight against the intercooler piping. In time these shall be dealt with - I have a greddy stainless radiator top hose replacement, and I'll re-route the ATF cooler pipes too.

But for now, that's that theory tested and proven. So if you've got aftermarket stuff, you may want to consider doing the same.

Next, it's time to change the plugs (again!) and replace the rather tired looking vacuum hose with fresh!:afro:

Finally.... Finally.... It's starting to all slot together!:scholar:

bernmc
09-03-2007, 05:25 PM
Got to do my vacuum hoses too - got 3m of red and 3m of black reinforced stuff lying in the garage for when I next get bored....

Dan_G
09-03-2007, 06:23 PM
sounds cool... excuse the pun...

:pimp2:

certainly dont want luke warm performance..

Wodjno
09-03-2007, 07:29 PM
This is something was going to eventually get ropund to :pimp2:

Sound's like a thing that i should be getting round to, Sooner, rather than later /yes

Excellent results by the sounds of it Kieran.. :scholar: Pity theres no Before and after Logging from you !!

Nice 1.. Look froward to seeing Pics :D

Kieran
09-03-2007, 08:47 PM
Excellent results by the sounds of it Kieran.. :scholar: Pity theres no Before and after Logging from you !!

Quite! /wall - The 'bum dyno' gives you a feeling, but that's all, 'tis true. Not a major major difference, but enough for me to tell that the excessive heat was an issue.