PDA

View Full Version : Urgent: Which pinout for RSM.

Beastlee
11-03-2007, 01:14 PM
Hey al,

I'm half way through installing the RSM and I now have conflicting information regarding the pin out. Someone has already installed a device before and it has just been cut with bare ends. I'm trying to work out where I need to splice into the loom but I have two diagrams.

Diagram 1. he diagram from the Apexi RSM manual.
uploaded/4273/1173614840.jpg

Diagram 2. From MAP-ECU Install thread.
uploaded/4273/1173614998.jpg

The problem I have is the RPM and speed pins. According to the MAP ECU version the RSM would be wiring the RPM wire in to the Crank Angle Position Sensor input. I assume it uses the crank position to determine the rpm by counting how many tims it passes TDC but I'd like to clarify. I'm happy with everything else so can anyone please confirm if diagram 1 is right for the RSM.

I have to get the car running in the next hour as I need to be at heathrow to meet a flight.

Thanks
Lee

Kieran
11-03-2007, 01:40 PM
Hi Lee - I can't say for definite, so don't take this as gospel but I think using the crank signal is correct - as you say it looks for a 'pulse' to measure.

Having just looked at the official Apexi Manual, it suggests that M3-a is the correct diagram for the Legnum EC5W:

http://www.apexi-usa.com/pdfWiring/3.pdf

Nutter_John
11-03-2007, 02:46 PM
Lee RPM signal is in the 3rd block not the forth , have a look at the apexi website and there is a pinout for the ec5w

Kieran
11-03-2007, 02:54 PM
Lee RPM signal is in the 3rd block not the forth , have a look at the apexi website and there is a pinout for the ec5w

That's the one I've linked to - They're suggesting to use the crank signal, not the RPM signal in their own diagram manual.

Beastlee
11-03-2007, 02:54 PM
I followed the Apexi supplied diagram and all seems well, it must use the crank pulse. The car has now had a few hours without battery so I guess it wil have cleared any soft faults and will learn my driving style once again.
Readings seem OK will just have to learn how to use it and calculate the car's weight.

Thanks for the responses.

Nutter_John
11-03-2007, 02:56 PM
That's the one I've linked to - They're suggesting to use the crank signal, not the RPM signal in their own diagram manual.

Yes I know Kieran just confirming your extensive knowledge :thinking:

Kieran
11-03-2007, 02:57 PM
Yes I know Kieran just confirming your extensive knowledge :thinking:

Sorry - crossed wires (so to speak!! /pan )

Beastlee
13-03-2007, 09:03 PM
Ok, well I now have a strange problem. I don't get a speed reading at the RSM however it must be getting a signal to pass to the dashboard which is showing speed.
The speed wire had already been cut and a new wire fro the ECU goes up behind the dashboard. I can only assume this is part of the MPH conversion but without a speed input at the RSM it's going to be useless. Does anone know much about how the mph units are wired in?
Thanks
Lee

Kenneth
13-03-2007, 09:35 PM
Just for clarification, the MAP-ECU picture shows what I used for RPM signal, however in reality I believe it is an ignition signal.
You would have to divide it by 6 to get correct RPM. The map-ecu is setup to do this though.

Kieran
13-03-2007, 11:27 PM
Ok, well I now have a strange problem. I don't get a speed reading at the RSM however it must be getting a signal to pass to the dashboard which is showing speed.
The speed wire had already been cut and a new wire fro the ECU goes up behind the dashboard. I can only assume this is part of the MPH conversion but without a speed input at the RSM it's going to be useless. Does anone know much about how the mph units are wired in?
Thanks
Lee

Normally what happens is the feed from the vehicle speed sensor is split between the ECU and the dashboard - the MPH conversion is normally just done on the 'speedo' side of the cable. The original speed cable to the ECU is then cut and a 'false' signal is sent to the ECU by the converter on the dashboard.

So... to correct your problem I would suggest connecting the speed wire from the RSM to the original speed wire going to the ECU on the car's factory loom. I think the original cable is blue/white from memory, but please check first - My memory isn't the best!:inquisiti

Beastlee
14-03-2007, 08:56 AM
Kieran, that make sense to me. I can see the other part of the wire and I did wonder about it. The ay I have patched in the RSM was designed to allow quick and easy removal/exchange so I can just remove the RSM from being inline and add a connector to the other wire. Will try it tonight and post feedback for those who may try it in the future.

Beastlee
17-03-2007, 10:21 PM
Just a heads up to say that wiring it to the old input worked a treat.
I haven't fully set up the RSM but with a weight input of 1620kg and default loss settings I got 207ps in a single run. The car had a half tank of fuel, two heavy bags of shopping, myself, the wife and our daughter so I figure it's not a bad reading all in.

Lee

Edit: Didn't think the 'wife and or daugter' was a decent read, my wife is not my daughter despite living in Suffolk. LOL

Kieran
17-03-2007, 10:35 PM
Just a heads up to say that wiring it to the old input worked a treat.
I haven't fully set up the RSM but with a weight input of 1620kg and default loss settings I got 207ps in a single run. The car had a half tank of fuel, two heavy bags of shopping, myself, the wife and or daughter so I figure it's not a bad reading all in.

Lee

That's not bad going at all! Nice one and good to hear it's all worky worky!:afro: