PDA

View Full Version : NIP / Speeding question

Paul Beazer
12-03-2007, 08:10 PM
One of my steps sons today rec a NIP for doing 36mph in a 30mph zone! The letter was dated 27/2/07 which means its JUST within the 14days of notification for a NIP.

But the offence occurred 6/11/06. Now normally that would mean it was outside of the 14day notification cut off. BUT He only recently notified the DVLA his address had been changed (moved into a new flat in Nov and didnt re-direct his mail, so the original NIP could be at his old address). Does this mean that they've just caught up with him and he should count himself lucky there isnt a warrant out for him? Or does it mean they've missed the boat and its too late to prosecute and they're just trying their luck in the hope that he'll pay the fine and take the points.

Also if he'd been driving on a full licence for less than 2 years (at the time of the offence) and already has 3 points, then if he gets another 3 he'll get a ban? I think im right in saying 6 points or more in under 2 years of full licence holding means a ban?

Please give him some hope, he's having a rough time of things ATM. Broke up with his girlfriend 2 months ago and crashed his car last friday. Poor sod needs something positive.

TIA

leuven
12-03-2007, 08:34 PM
One of my steps sons today rec a NIP for doing 36mph in a 30mph zone! The letter was dated 27/2/07 which means its JUST within the 14days of notification for a NIP.

But the offence occurred 6/11/06. Now normally that would mean it was outside of the 14day notification cut off. BUT He only recently notified the DVLA his address had been changed (moved into a new flat in Nov and didnt re-direct his mail, so the original NIP could be at his old address). Does this mean that they've just caught up with him and he should count himself lucky there isnt a warrant out for him? Or does it mean they've missed the boat and its too late to prosecute and they're just trying their luck in the hope that he'll pay the fine and take the points.

Also if he'd been driving on a full licence for less than 2 years (at the time of the offence) and already has 3 points, then if he gets another 3 he'll get a ban? I think im right in saying 6 points or more in under 2 years of full licence holding means a ban?

Please give him some hope, he's having a rough time of things ATM. Broke up with his girlfriend 2 months ago and crashed his car last friday. Poor sod needs something positive.

TIA

Check out this website.
There are a few coppers who post on there who are quite friendly and informative about such stuff, and plenty of info available

http://www.traffic-answers.co.uk/

Just read or post in the forum

I-S
12-03-2007, 11:57 PM
To answer your questions, the 14 day rule does not apply if it takes time to find someone due to address change that isn't notified.

If he gets 6 points in under 2 years then yes, he'll likely be disqualified. You might wish to check whether it's more than 6 that gets a ban, or 6 total.

bernmc
13-03-2007, 09:02 AM
You're best off asking this on the pepipoo forums.

He'll have to be very careful - not telling the DVLA about a change of address can make you £1000 poorer very quickly!

Paul Beazer
13-03-2007, 02:17 PM
You're best off asking this on the pepipoo forums.

He'll have to be very careful - not telling the DVLA about a change of address can make you £1000 poorer very quickly!

Indeed, thats why i think he'll be ok with the 2 year thing, but i think he'll just need to take the points and the fine on the chin. If he starts to create a fuss, the DVLA will dig deeper and start asking some awkward questions.....

jayjay99
13-03-2007, 10:24 PM
Six points under two years is a ban, no going over, as soon as you hit 6. Same as if you hit 12 normally.