PDA

View Full Version : Brake disc and pad recommendations

jalford
13-03-2007, 10:00 AM
Front pads have finally given in and I'm looking to fit better than standard discs and pads at the front.

What does everyone recommend?

I spoke to Xtreme about EBC red stuff pads and EBC discs but they've had too many issues with EBC. They suggested Ferodo DS2500 pads and suggested they could send the standard discs away for grooving and drilling but I'm not keen on that as that was factored in the manufacturing specs.

BraindG
13-03-2007, 10:07 AM
DS2500's get a thumbs up from me.. not sure about this drilling and grooving the original discs though :thinking:

Wouter
13-03-2007, 10:51 AM
Grooved Discs are a good idea, but I would never get my discs drilled!

The National Grooved disks are no longer available, but a few members are using the Rossini groved discs.

For Rossini discs give Martin at First part a call: 01623 658 041

Or contact Simon at Contact Woodford Garage Motorsport 01803-863958

I would personally speak to Simon and see what he says, before deciding.

jalford
13-03-2007, 02:04 PM
I forgot to mention that this is a pre-facelift VR4.

I thought I had heard that the National disks were no longer available but I found some listed in the catalogue at http://www.national-auto.co.uk/cata.htm
They are listed as:

Manufacturer & Model Engine Size Year Solid/Vented/Drum Part Number
VR-4 2.5 V6 Twin Turbo 24v (EC5A) 2498cc 10/99-01 F-V - 294.0

Do these look like the correct ones or are these only for post facelift?

Wodjno
13-03-2007, 02:13 PM
I spoke to Xtreme about EBC red stuff pads and EBC discs but they've had too many issues with EBC.

I've never had any issues with EBC :thinking:

I know 3 or 4 years ago there were issues with there pads coming away from the backing.. But thats well and truly been resolved ! Otherwise they would no longer be trading ..

Jimbo
13-03-2007, 06:20 PM
No comment on the pads, but I have experience of Xtreme "professionally" cross drilling a new set of discs for me and the company they used didn't do a particularly good job on them, in my opinion. They looked nice, but anyone who ever came in the car with me can vouch for how they used to squeal and drone like mad right after braking.

Might just be a one-off bad experience, but it was enough to put me off doing it again!

Cheers,
James

Wouter
13-03-2007, 07:14 PM
The problem with most drilled discs is that they decide on a nice looking patern and then drill.... regardless of the fin placement.

The Only drilled discs I would buy are AP's as they never drill the fin.

However I doubt that I will ever be in the position to afford any AP discs.... so its a moot point!

Anyway Grooved will be more than good enough for Fast road and trackday usage.

Nick Mann
13-03-2007, 10:23 PM
Do these look like the correct ones or are these only for post facelift?

There is no difference pre/post facelift for pads and discs. Only the caliper mounting point changed.

calum
15-03-2007, 12:58 AM
I use mintex m1144 or m1155 pads (can't remember which) and they're very good, with zero fade. Stock brake discs too. They can squeal a bit at low speeds/ when cold, but I can put up with that for brakes that work.

Calum

calum
15-03-2007, 01:01 AM
One of my friends uses Carbotech pads on his evo and swears by them but I've never heard of anybody using them on a VR4. Might be worth a try?

Nutter_John
15-03-2007, 01:09 AM
Paul ( PSBARHAM) has them on his V6 and his very happy with em , Chap called thetyrant on here is the reseller .

When my ds2500 are gone I will be giving the Carbontech ones a try

MPBVr4
15-03-2007, 09:49 AM
I'm fitting Carbotech's at the weekend. Will post up results when they are bedded in.

psbarham
15-03-2007, 06:20 PM
I'm fitting Carbotech's at the weekend. Will post up results when they are bedded in.
about 20 mins after fitting them , they take no time at all

jalford
15-03-2007, 07:30 PM
Maybe I can hang on for a few more days and see what your verdict is.

MPBVr4
19-03-2007, 09:54 AM
Carbotechs fitted on Saturday with new discs ('Nationals' not drilled or grooved). First impressions after bedding-in routine are excellent, much more feel and stopping power. I wasn't overly impressed after fitting Brembo's last year complete with standard pads. Now the car feels as though it will "stand on it's nose" and as PSB said the ABS kicks in which wasn't happening much before. Got a bit of squeal at the moment but suspect that will improve as the miles pile on.

MPBVr4
19-03-2007, 08:34 PM
A "slight" squeal turned into a wailing banshee by the time I got back from work. Checked out similar problems on MLR .Just been for "blat" on quiet roads
to do the bedding process as recommended by "The Tyrant". Reduced the squeal to a mild squeak but the stopping power is phenominal now:happy:

psbarham
19-03-2007, 08:50 PM
A "slight" squeal turned into a wailing banshee by the time I got back from work. Checked out similar problems on MLR .Just been for "blat" on quiet roads
to do the bedding process as recommended by "The Tyrant". Reduced the squeal to a mild squeak but the stopping power is phenomenal now:happy:
mine have never squealed , but my bedding in process finished with a couple of hard stops from 130 mph (privately owned runway) and the harder you use them the harder you get your snout pushed against the windscreen

jalford
21-03-2007, 01:49 PM
Carbotechs fitted on Saturday with new discs ('Nationals' not drilled or grooved).
Any reason you didn't get grooved disks?

The Carbotech pads are sounding good. What are they like for dust?

MPBVr4
21-03-2007, 07:30 PM
Generally plain discs run quieter than grooved particularly for road use. Don't like drilled ones. I've had "black diamonds" crack from the drillings outwards (wasn't on the VR4). I agree with PSB the stopping power is tremendous with Carbotechs just make sure you bed them properly.
Can't judge the dust situation yet. Only done about 60 miles

psbarham
21-03-2007, 08:32 PM
The Carbotech pads are sounding good. What are they like for dust?
they do give off a fair amount of dust , about the same as cheap pattern pads , but as long as you don't leave it for weeks on end it washes off quiet easily