PDA

View Full Version : Hi

0sb0rne
14-03-2007, 11:56 AM
First of all hi... new member, hope to be having the car soon... but some questions first...

I've been offered a Galant Estate (badged as galant with full UK mitsi SH) but it's not a version that I have come across before and can't find any information on so wondering if anyone here has any useful info...

It's apparently a 3L V6 non-turbo estate with half leather and a semi-auto transmission with paddle shifts.

Anyone heard of anything like this and got any more info on it like what model it is, is it an import, how many are there, power, fuel economy, blah blah blah

Thanks

Andrew

Nick VR4
14-03-2007, 12:00 PM
Hi And /Welcome2

Are you sure its not a 2.5L V6 ????

Wouter
14-03-2007, 12:03 PM
Hi,

I think it will turn out to be a 2.5L V6 as stated by Nick, and it will be a Tiptronic Auto, without paddles. (Unless they are a aftermarket add-on)

0sb0rne
14-03-2007, 12:04 PM
That's what I insisted it had to be... but definately a 3L on the VIN plate apparently going to see it tonight and drive it, but just wanted to see if I can get some more info before going...

I will try and grab some pics whilst I'm there...

Cheers

Andrew

n13l pm
14-03-2007, 12:06 PM
Hi there!

I agree with Nick VR4, you sure its not the 2.5L??

n13l pm
14-03-2007, 12:11 PM
Makesure its a UK car, maybe well be a US import? otherwise I dont know how its got a 3L engine, unless if some how they dumped a shogun 3.0 v6 in, which surely cant be possible.

0sb0rne
14-03-2007, 12:20 PM
well I say it's 'UK' as apparently it's from a UK dealer... but even I know that some of the UK dealers did their own importing of mitsi's... The one obvious point about it not being from the US would be that no comment has been passed on it being a left hooker... :inquisiti

Guess I'll just have to curb my enthuisiasm until this evening :happy:

Andrew

Nick VR4
14-03-2007, 01:15 PM
Andrew where abouts is the Dealer town etc ??

0sb0rne
14-03-2007, 02:19 PM
I believe it was through a dealer in Cirencester, but I've been offered it through a friend in the trade who picked it up at auction... mostly cos he wants to buy my Lexus Soarer V8 off me...

Andrew

Nick Mann
14-03-2007, 02:32 PM
Sounds dodgy to me too. The 3.0l was never sold in the UK. I'm not aware of any 3.0l Galants outside of the USA.

Please let us know - I'm intrigued!! Where abouts is it? Is it somewhere where one of us could come and help you look?

Davezj
14-03-2007, 02:42 PM
I have never heard of a 3.0 V6 galant unless it has had a GTO transplant.

There was a guy on here that fitted playstation paddles from a steering wheel to tip box, not sure who it was but it was supposed to work well. As well as the tip box changes anyway.

i presume in it's simplist form (with debounce) it is just a push to make switch that does the change up or down anyway. i don't think it would be a cable.

correct me if i am wrong, just musing of the question.

Dave

bradc
14-03-2007, 07:18 PM
Take a pic or two of the engine bay so we can identify the engine, and look on the firewall for the build plate that tells you the code of the engine. It will most likely be a 6A13, but it theoretically might be a 6G7x engine

0sb0rne
14-03-2007, 07:44 PM
well I haven't got any pics yet, but I've been to see it... I _think_ it's an extremly rare and mythical beast...

It is 3L twin turbo from having looked under the hood... I should have kept my mouth shut but it's a mate who's got it so I thought I had to be fair with him and he's going to do some more digging... I also doubt very much that it'll be insurable unless it's done under a blanket policy as I doubt it has ESTA certificates being as it was owned by Mitsi Cirencester.

I belive that it is a Belgium built car which I belive there is only about 180 in existence total, no idea how many RHD's, but I have a feeling that it's a Galant Evo which was used for a WRC snow event some years ago and so 180 had to be built to make it a 'production' car.

My mate is going to do some more digging, I'm going to try and get some insurance and some pics of it, then I have to persuade him that he still wants to part with it if it is the car I think...:happy:

Of course I could be talking out my hat, but that's what I believe it is for now until some more digging can be done.

Cheers

Andrew

bradc
14-03-2007, 08:48 PM
ok, now we definately need to see pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kieran
14-03-2007, 11:20 PM
It's not a Twin-Turbo converted Sigma estate is it? They were 3 litres and look very much like Galants?:thinking:

Have a look at the VIN - it'll have the engine code, and also the model code...

Galants:
7Gs have numbers in E5xA, E7xA, E8xA
8Gs have ExxA or ExxW - common ones are EA5A, EA5W, EC5W, EC1W, EC1A, etc etc.

Sigma

Just incase.... These will have something like FxxA, or similar, if it's a Jap built one - the Sigma estate was built in Australia too - Not sure if the Aussie VIN is different.

I'm intrigued!

Brunty
15-03-2007, 12:24 AM
Sounds very interesting!

I'm intrigued!

Without any hint of sarcasm; I've been waiting all day for Kierans input - I just knew he'd have an 'informed' view of what this car is likely to be.

0sb0rne
15-03-2007, 11:18 AM
Will keep feeding snippets when I get them...

It's a 1998 R plate car and apparently it wasn't a snow rally that they were homolgated for but it was the Paris Dakar.

Cheers

Andrew

calum
15-03-2007, 11:39 AM
Mitsu were running the Pajero Evo (or something based on it) for teh 1997 and 1998 paris-Dakars. There were some privateers with L200s but I never heard of any 'normal' car derived vehicles being used round about then, unless they were support cars? But I don't think support vehicles require homologation.

Calum

0sb0rne
15-03-2007, 11:49 AM
I agree with you... just going on the information that my friend has managed to dig up so far...

Andrew

Nick Mann
15-03-2007, 05:52 PM
A couple of photos would help. The car and the engine bay. Between us we could tell you what it is, even if we can't tell you why!

And like I said before, if it's anywhere near me, I would want to have a quick look, just out of curiosity. I couldn't buy it, so I wouldn't be stealing your thunder, it's really just a love of rapid estate cars and a curiosity about a different type of legnum. I would imagine I'm not the only member to feel like that too, so if you wouldn't mind, can you give us an idea of it's location?

A 1998 R sounds like the right age for a Legnum VR4, but the 3.0l thing really intrigues me!

0sb0rne
16-03-2007, 09:33 AM
It'll now be at least 10 days until I can get a picture as my mate has been quarantined (yes quarantined) for 10 days as one of his relatives has severe bacterial meningitis :thumbsdow

But soon as he is allowed out again then I'll be planning a photo shoot of the car...

Andrew