PDA

View Full Version : Would this size fit my car?

jayjay99
14-03-2007, 02:19 PM
I've always wanted to fill my arches with some bigger alloys but have always been put off by the amount of different measurements there are, anyway, I've been reading through some past posts and have come up with a size I think'll fit and can survive lowering abit 20mm or so. Can you just confirm,

cheers.

225x40x18 on a 7" rim

5x114.3
Bore 67.1mm

2 more questions, Could I put an 8" rim in there suitably? and what allowances would I need to make if I wanted to fit brembos in the future?

Tank ya :2thumbsup

***Sorry, should've posted in the wheel section***

Wodjno
14-03-2007, 02:59 PM
I've always wanted to fill my arches with some bigger alloys but have always been put off by the amount of different measurements there are, anyway, I've been reading through some past posts and have come up with a size I think'll fit and can survive lowering abit 20mm or so. Can you just confirm,

cheers.

225x40x18 on a 7" rim

5x114.3
Bore 67.1mm

2 more questions, Could I put an 8" rim in there suitably? and what allowances would I need to make if I wanted to fit brembos in the future?

Tank ya :2thumbsup

The only way you will fill your arches is to lower your car.. 225x40x18 on a 7" rim is the same overall diameter and circumferance as the standard VR4 wheel and tyre.. So the gap around the edge of your tyre to your rim will be the same.. If you drop the car on lowering springs but keep the original VR4 shocks you will notice a considerable difference.. The stance of the car looks so much meaner and solid.. Also an easier option is to fit the Facelift wheel arch extensions which gives the car the appearance that the wheels are filling the arches.. Or do both :D

Nick Mann
14-03-2007, 03:02 PM
Your wish is my command!

Go for Evo >5 fitment and you should be okay. I have Evo 7 wheels, which are 8" wide and have an offset of 37-38, IIRC. It is worth stating that at 8" wide there isn't a lot of room for manouver - a smaller offset will cause the wheel to foul the arch, and a bigger offset will cause it to foul the suspension. The other dimensions you have stated seem right to me!

As for the Brembo thing - the problem is clearance between the spokes and the calipers, rather than the diameter. Any 17" wheel should fit over the caliper from a diameter point of view, so 18" will fit no problem. The problem is that if the spoke is not close to the face of the wheel, it will hit the face of the caliper. If you look at Evo wheels, you will see that they all have spokes close to the face of the wheel - none of this BMW dished wheel stuff for us!!

Wodjno
14-03-2007, 03:10 PM
Your wish is my command!

Go for Evo >5 fitment and you should be okay. I have Evo 7 wheels, which are 8" wide and have an offset of 37-38, IIRC. It is worth stating that at 8" wide there isn't a lot of room for manouver - a smaller offset will cause the wheel to foul the arch, and a bigger offset will cause it to foul the suspension. The other dimensions you have stated seem right to me!

As for the Brembo thing - the problem is clearance between the spokes and the calipers, rather than the diameter. Any 17" wheel should fit over the caliper from a diameter point of view, so 18" will fit no problem. The problem is that if the spoke is not close to the face of the wheel, it will hit the face of the caliper. If you look at Evo wheels, you will see that they all have spokes close to the face of the wheel - none of this BMW dished wheel stuff for us!!

You can still have dished wheels :D

jayjay99
14-03-2007, 03:53 PM
The only way you will fill your arches is to lower your car.. 225x40x18 on a 7" rim is the same overall diameter and circumferance as the standard VR4 wheel and tyre.. So the gap around the edge of your tyre to your rim will be the same.. If you drop the car on lowering springs but keep the original VR4 shocks you will notice a considerable difference.. The stance of the car looks so much meaner and solid.. Also an easier option is to fit the Facelift wheel arch extensions which gives the car the appearance that the wheels are filling the arches.. Or do both :D

Well I have a facelift and already have the extensions, I think I'll have to lower it as well then, I want a much firmer ride, what would I need to buy? Is there a particular spec? Is it easy for someone to fit that hasn't really looked at suspension before? Would you reckon 20mm or more? A few questions there for ya :)

Your wish is my command!

Cheers for moving it for me.
Sorry, what measurement is offset? I thought I had had it but I'm confused now. So am I best avoiding 8" rims if I'm gonna lower it, as it's gonna be that close to everything? I want to avoid rubbing etc. And when you say an evo 5+ fitment, do you mean buy evo wheels or is it a special fitment.

Sorry, complete noob when it comes to this stuff! /pan/pan

Wodjno
14-03-2007, 04:08 PM
Well I have a facelift and already have the extensions, I think I'll have to lower it as well then, I want a much firmer ride, what would I need to buy? Is there a particular spec? Is it easy for someone to fit that hasn't really looked at suspension before? Would you reckon 20mm or more? A few questions there for ya :)

I have put Spax Springs on the original VR4 shocks on Mrs Wodjies Leggy GDi.. It is firm and looks a nice height.. It seems to ok for speed bumps and the like..

On my car i have Tanabe Sustec Pro height adjustable coilovers.. The ride is very firm and i have to be careful where i'm driving or i'll bottom the car out.. There is not a lot of travel in the shock.. For instance if i jack my car up the gap between the tyre and the wheel arch is only enlarged by 25mm.. on a standard shock it would be nearer 75+..

When it comes to spec, it can be a bit tricky..
I have found that most spring and shock pairings that are specific for a car, are a little to hard for evry day driving but good for track.. The Tanabe's on my car are specced for a GDi.. They used to be on the GDi, and the car used to bounce as the shocks were much to hard.. But on my car with the extra weight they ride a lot better..
What i'm saying as maybe go for a spring and shock that is specced for a 2 litre !
Just food for thought.. I'm sure you'll have a headache by the time you've got your head round it all :scholar:

jayjay99
14-03-2007, 04:27 PM
Just food for thought.. I'm sure you'll have a headache by the time you've got your head round it all :scholar:

Yeah, I can feel it coming on now! /pan I'll go and have a browse now then, cheers.

jayjay99
14-03-2007, 04:47 PM
What are your Tanabe's from? I can't see one for the galant, is it from another car?

jayjay99
14-03-2007, 04:59 PM
what about these?

Manufacturer : Spax
Category : Spax Spring Kits
Sub-category : Spax Springs - Mitsubishi
Application : Galant Estate 4+6cyl W/Self-Leveling EA ; 03/97- ; -40/20mm
Product Code: SPX-S024015
Details : Special order only, not returnable.
Price: £98.99 inc VAT
Delivery: £14.10

Manufacturer : Eibach Springs
Category : Eibach Spring Kits
Sub-category : Eibach Springs - Mitsubishi
Application : Galant Estate 2.5 V6, 2.4 GDI; 03.97> 30/30mm
Product Code: E-6029.140
Details : Chassis A12.
Lowering Front/Rear = 30mm/30mm
Axle Load: Front = 1025kg Rear = 975kg
Price: £173.98 inc VAT
Delivery: £9.00

Nutter_John
14-03-2007, 05:07 PM
Why not go for the tein lowering springs for around 180 ish + vat

jayjay99
14-03-2007, 05:19 PM
Why not go for the tein lowering springs for around 180 ish + vat

I did look for them but couldn't find them, apart from the official site but it kept screwing up. Do you know where does them?

Nutter_John
14-03-2007, 05:21 PM
:2thumpsup
http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m22b0s1405p6895

jayjay99
14-03-2007, 05:23 PM
I just found it, so what would they lower it by? it doesn't say on there.

Nutter_John
14-03-2007, 05:51 PM
thinks it's 30 mm

jayjay99
14-03-2007, 05:57 PM
thinks it's 30 mm
Cool, cos I couldn't decide between 20 and 40mm :2thumbsup

Nick Mann
14-03-2007, 06:04 PM
Sorry, what measurement is offset? I thought I had had it but I'm confused now. So am I best avoiding 8" rims if I'm gonna lower it, as it's gonna be that close to everything? I want to avoid rubbing etc. And when you say an evo 5+ fitment, do you mean buy evo wheels or is it a special fitment.

Evo fitment, should mean that the wheel will clear the brembos. The PCD and bore are the same as the VR4, so they bolt straight on.

The offset is the distance the mounting surface is from the mid point of the wheel. A positive offset moves the mounting face towards the spokes, negative offset moves it away from the spokes. As the offset becomes more negative, the wheel moves towards the edge of the car (because the spokes are further from the hub) and the opposite also applies.

Hope that is understandable!

Also, if I ever have the funds, I would seriously consider the Tein Super Wagon suspension setup. The spring rates don't seem too hard, and the damping and ride height is adjustable. The sum of money involved is a lot more than a set of lowering springs, though!

jayjay99
14-03-2007, 06:27 PM
Evo fitment, should mean that the wheel will clear the brembos. The PCD and bore are the same as the VR4, so they bolt straight on.

The offset is the distance the mounting surface is from the mid point of the wheel. A positive offset moves the mounting face towards the spokes, negative offset moves it away from the spokes. As the offset becomes more negative, the wheel moves towards the edge of the car (because the spokes are further from the hub) and the opposite also applies.

Hope that is understandable!

Also, if I ever have the funds, I would seriously consider the Tein Super Wagon suspension setup. The spring rates don't seem too hard, and the damping and ride height is adjustable. The sum of money involved is a lot more than a set of lowering springs, though!

Ah cool, I got ya now, I know what I need now :2thumbsup

bradc
14-03-2007, 07:29 PM
18x7" will be fine, as long as the offset is in the 30mm-45mm range. You've got quite a bit of room to maneuver with 7" wide wheels. You need to be careful about caliper clearance though, you would want the offset to be as close to 30mm as possible, but not less than that because you would start rubbing the rear tyres on the rear guards if the car is lowered.

jayjay99
14-03-2007, 10:23 PM
Ah ok, so in the region of 30-36mm say, that'd be a good place to aim. Now I keep saying things like this, I'm sorry but to get a certain offset, is that something you have to tweak on the car? Is it easy?

Wodjno
14-03-2007, 10:34 PM
Ah ok, so in the region of 30-36mm say, that'd be a good place to aim. Now I keep saying things like this, I'm sorry but to get a certain offset, is that something you have to tweak on the car? Is it easy?

The Offset is the position of the centre of the hub.. This is determined at the time the wheel is machined.. It can only be altered by the use of spacers, and only in 1 direction.. Any spacers used is best kept down to a minimum.. Or best, none at all !!

lboots
14-03-2007, 10:40 PM
i,m running 225/40x18 tyres with koni gas and eibach sports springs and have no problems at all. a vast improvement over standard set up/Steeringw

jayjay99
14-03-2007, 10:51 PM
The Offset is the position of the centre of the hub.. This is determined at the time the wheel is machined.. It can only be altered by the use of spacers, and only in 1 direction.. Any spacers used is best kept down to a minimum.. Or best, none at all !!

Oh crap, I just realised that I asked that same question a few posts ago, sorry, ignore me, I've had a couple of beers and obviously it's gone straight to my head /haz :5shots:

jayjay99
14-03-2007, 10:53 PM
i,m running 225/40x18 tyres with koni gas and eibach sports springs and have no problems at all. a vast improvement over standard set up/Steeringw

Cool, I find the car just feels a bit too tall and rolly, I wanna firmer lower driving position.

Wodjno
14-03-2007, 10:54 PM

Spot on there :2thumbsup 225/40 is spot on for 18's...

How much is your drop ?

jayjay99
14-03-2007, 10:57 PM
Do alloys have the offset stamped on them?

bradc
15-03-2007, 03:44 AM
normally yes. It won't always say it clearly though, just look for a number somewhere between 25 and 50 and that number will probably be the offset