PDA

View Full Version : MMCS Question

Lucas
16-03-2007, 07:01 AM
Hey guys,

I'm wanting to buy a centre console containing the MMCS Screen. It's purely for cosmetic reasons and I understand that I wont be able to use tv and gps.

What I want to know (if anybody does know) is...

Will the new console be able to run the air conditioning system?
Will my current airconditioning connectors be the same and be able to plug straight into the MMCS system?
Will the radio side of it work?

Has anyone done this before?

Any info appreciated

Thanks!

Gly
16-03-2007, 07:25 AM
why!!

its all in japaneese!
the car looks better without the MMC.

Wodjno
16-03-2007, 07:30 AM
Hey guys,

I'm wanting to buy a centre console containing the MMCS Screen. It's purely for cosmetic reasons and I understand that I wont be able to use tv and gps.

Will my current airconditioning connectors be the same and be able to plug straight into the MMCS system?

Has anyone done this before?

Any info appreciated

Thanks!

Speak to Kieran ... Commander of the MMCS Drool Brigade :klingon:

bradc
16-03-2007, 07:35 AM
I have mmcs in my purple car, but it isn't that great, I would rather buy a double din lcd head deck or something

Lucas
16-03-2007, 08:19 AM
Yeah I'd like to get a double din LCD unit but I'm not going to bother while I have this car. I just like the thought of a larger screen in the mean time just for looks... even if it is in japanese!

Gly
16-03-2007, 08:44 AM
waste of money if you dont plan on keeping it...

listen to me....
im an expert on wasting time and moeny on the wrong car, LOL! :D

Kieran
16-03-2007, 09:22 AM
Hey guys,

Aaah! A man with good taste - Well done!:scholar:

The answer to all of the questions above is It will work after a fashion; it will plug in to your car's current loom, but you will not get full functionality. With just an MMCS headunit and your car's current wiring loom, you would get limited aircon control via the side panel (where you use the rotary dial to adjust the temperature), but the screen will not work - so you will have temp control and defrost control only - no control of fans, vents, or suchlike. Not very good.

Similarly with the radio... The headunit would power up, but the screen won't - meaning you will be 'flying blind' and unable to tell what station you are on, etc. etc.

The problem is the standard wiring loom has no provision for the MMCS screen - this uses an extra four connectors that won't be there on yours. Also you will have no satnav box in the back. The MMCS won't work without this either and the wiring to the satnav box is complex - there are many data wires that I haven't yet identified.

The way to do it would be to salvage an entire MMCS screen, satnav box and complete wiring loom. This is what I have done (thankyou, Mighty Mo!!) You need the section that plugs into the passenger footwell conduit (just where it comes in through the inner wing) and runs to the rear of the car. This requires you to strip out the loom already there and you'll need to reconnect the accessories on the passenger side, such as the speakers, electric windows, rear lights, etc. It's all just a case of clicking the connectors in and out - no soldering is needed unless you're trying to fit a saloon loom into a Legnum (in which case you need to extend the loom to reach the rear lights), so it's not as hard as it sounds - just very involved.

Hope that helps!

Kieran
(Commander of the MMCS Drool Brigade) :book: :iloveyou:

Lucas
16-03-2007, 10:55 AM
Thanks Keiran! Ah well it's a bit of a shame the aircon wont work, that's the only thing I was really concerned about but I wont bother if I can;t control it fully.

Gly, yeah I know what you mean, I'm not really that keen on spending much money on this car although I'm always keen for more toys. It's hard saving but ultimately I want the VR4 like you've obviously chosen (nice choice by the way!)

The console is on Trademe at the moment and it's only $70 so for that price you can't go wrong! Wont bother with it though but thanks heaps for the knowledge guys!

ersanalamin
13-04-2009, 05:59 PM
Aaah! A man with good taste - Well done!:scholar:

The answer to all of the questions above is It will work after a fashion; it will plug in to your car's current loom, but you will not get full functionality. With just an MMCS headunit and your car's current wiring loom, you would get limited aircon control via the side panel (where you use the rotary dial to adjust the temperature), but the screen will not work - so you will have temp control and defrost control only - no control of fans, vents, or suchlike. Not very good.

Similarly with the radio... The headunit would power up, but the screen won't - meaning you will be 'flying blind' and unable to tell what station you are on, etc. etc.

The problem is the standard wiring loom has no provision for the MMCS screen - this uses an extra four connectors that won't be there on yours. Also you will have no satnav box in the back. The MMCS won't work without this either and the wiring to the satnav box is complex - there are many data wires that I haven't yet identified.

The way to do it would be to salvage an entire MMCS screen, satnav box and complete wiring loom. This is what I have done (thankyou, Mighty Mo!!) You need the section that plugs into the passenger footwell conduit (just where it comes in through the inner wing) and runs to the rear of the car. This requires you to strip out the loom already there and you'll need to reconnect the accessories on the passenger side, such as the speakers, electric windows, rear lights, etc. It's all just a case of clicking the connectors in and out - no soldering is needed unless you're trying to fit a saloon loom into a Legnum (in which case you need to extend the loom to reach the rear lights), so it's not as hard as it sounds - just very involved.

Hope that helps!

Kieran
(Commander of the MMCS Drool Brigade) :book: :iloveyou:

I ve got all MMCS part, with its plug and excess wiring also MMCS woodgrain frame included, It is a pre facelift model. I also intend to put it all installed on my n/a 6A13 galant, would it be still impossible to make it work perfectly on my car?

Kieran
13-04-2009, 09:14 PM
It depends on what wiring you have - And also if your car is a Japanese Import or not.

If you can post a picture of the wiring you have I can give you a better answer, but for now this is what I can tell you:

You need *All* the wiring that goes to the MMCS. If you just have the cable bundle that plugs into the rear of the screen and the Navigation CD, then you might not have all the wiring you need. You also need the wiring bundle that runs along the top of the passenger side sill.

If you do have all the wiring needed from a donor car, then it will probably just plug in and work, but I'm not 100% sure if that is the same for non-Japanese import cars. All I did was unclip the original wiring from my car and replace with the MMCS wiring - Apart from extending the cables a little and wiring in one of the rear speakers I didn't need to re-solder or re-wire anything else.

ersanalamin
14-04-2009, 12:55 AM
My car is not japanesse import (CBU) it is CKD (completely knock down). I will post the pic later on.

I don't have electronic knowledge background but I want it installed on my galant.

From I believe MMCS already there onboard on 6A13TT or n/a, so its got nothing to do with engine type or transmission type. as long as its got the same climate control model then its got nothing to do whether the car japanesse import or not.

I ve already have my mechanic have a look for a moment, but he's not sure wheter he can make it work or not on my car. I am not sure about this because he even not touch it or even explore the mmcs pin out diagram.

In second thought, I explore the pin out diagram and compare it with mmcs existing excess wiring,
its so identical and clear. I believe it can 100% done but I stiil need mechanic and audio installator as I have to install the all wiring inside the car.

I THought you've start your project like mine. iT seems to Be like a plug n play job.

This is more complicated, a little bit discourage me.

I will post the pic and who knows we can work it out. Please help me okay?

It depends on what wiring you have - And also if your car is a Japanese Import or not.

If you can post a picture of the wiring you have I can give you a better answer, but for now this is what I can tell you:

You need *All* the wiring that goes to the MMCS. If you just have the cable bundle that plugs into the rear of the screen and the Navigation CD, then you might not have all the wiring you need. You also need the wiring bundle that runs along the top of the passenger side sill.

If you do have all the wiring needed from a donor car, then it will probably just plug in and work, but I'm not 100% sure if that is the same for non-Japanese import cars. All I did was unclip the original wiring from my car and replace with the MMCS wiring - Apart from extending the cables a little and wiring in one of the rear speakers I didn't need to re-solder or re-wire anything else.

Kieran
14-04-2009, 01:50 AM
You're right in that the MMCS was fitted to both the Twin Turbos and the non Turbos and yes, it doesn't matter what car you start with.... IF it's a Japanese import. That's what I meant.

For example, in the UK, the cars built for the UK market have some differences in the wiring loom and this *could* affect installation of the MMCS. This might affect you, it might not. It depends how similar your car is to the Japan-Spec. Unfortunately that's only something you'll find out as you get started! :)

If you have all the wiring needed then connecting it is fairly straightforward. That's how I did mine - Because I didn't have any wiring diagrams, I just replaced the relevant wiring looms and luckily, it all worked. :) If I'd had to change any pins, that's where I would have got stuck.

But yeah - Post up a picture of what you've got and we'll see if we can work it out :)

ersanalamin
15-04-2009, 02:37 AM
You're right in that the MMCS was fitted to both the Twin Turbos and the non Turbos and yes, it doesn't matter what car you start with.... IF it's a Japanese import. That's what I meant.

For example, in the UK, the cars built for the UK market have some differences in the wiring loom and this *could* affect installation of the MMCS. This might affect you, it might not. It depends how similar your car is to the Japan-Spec. Unfortunately that's only something you'll find out as you get started! :)

If you have all the wiring needed then connecting it is fairly straightforward. That's how I did mine - Because I didn't have any wiring diagrams, I just replaced the relevant wiring looms and luckily, it all worked. :) If I'd had to change any pins, that's where I would have got stuck.

But yeah - Post up a picture of what you've got and we'll see if we can work it out :)

Heres the pic of what I ve got to get start. The main display from behind and the navi unit I am telling you about. I have bought the TV Tuner and its excess wiring from OZVR4 member,hopefully It will come this week.

Okay, based on the pic, what can you tell me?

Kieran
15-04-2009, 10:48 AM
Ah... I didn't realise the wiring you'd got had been cut out of the car. I thought you'd got the complete wiring loom.

Hmm, I understand now why you're having difficulties. That's a lot of work without a complete wiring loom. And it doesn't look like you have the wiring that runs down the passenger side of the car either. This is a problem too as the main MMCS cable loom that runs from the screen to the navi unit is spliced into this.

Unfortunately, wiring in the current system is going to be very difficult without either the complete loom or the wiring diagrams; neither of which you have there.

Best suggestion I can offer is this - I think one of the OzVR4 guys has the wiring diagrams. I'm not sure if they contain information about the MMCS however it's worth a try. Contact ET on this thread and see if he can help you:

http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=790

Good luck!

ersanalamin
15-04-2009, 11:57 PM
Well okay I will look the link on ozvr4 and the truth is I bought the tv tuner from him :D (ET). he said he want to change his audio system but I don't know what he plan to do about it.

I once asked him whether he had MMCS detailed/complete wiring diagram, but later on he came up with the same pin out diagram which I ve got from the russian website. So its seems to me that he may not be able to help me any further.

I don't think the wiring loom that connect the main display to the navi unit become a problem as long as we got detailed wiring diagram, In fact I want to have the floor mats and all seat resurfaced with Murano synthetic leather in next 2 weeks. So its one way to go job.

I will post the process and the result of the installation so if somebody interested in the same project, it could be used as the reference.

BTW got any info on complete wiring & a face lift main display (wide screen)?

ersanalamin
31-05-2009, 04:31 PM
Hello Kieran. ET on OZVR4 finally sent me a TV tuner and MMCS complete wiring, I Have a new problem to connect MMCS wiring harness to my galant sport existing wiring harness. You see I have connected those wiring to all MMCS part, and there was connector left. Like you said it is a blue connector. I attach some pics of connector that left. You where should the connector connect? Does it should go to junction box under right side dashboard? Do you have Galant/Legnum VR4 wiring diagram that has MMCS on board? Would you mind to share it with me? reply ASAP please.

hayase
09-06-2010, 12:50 PM
I want to ask several questions bout MMCS while waiting for some1 that willing to sell. I hope some1 that have uber knowledge bout MMCS can help me

1. Does MMCS from Legnum can be used at Galant ? since from what I've heard legnum has different wiring and loom
2. What's the difference between facelift and prefacelift MMCS ? Is it only screen ratio difference (16:9 and 4:3) ?
3. Is there any difference between MMCS from VR-4 and VR-G, as far as I saw at picture, it's the same just like legnum. I dunno if it has different wiring and loom between Galant VR-4 an VR-G
4. Does the screen from MMCS facelift version (16:9) can be fitted into MMCS pre-facelift version ?
5. I want to install MMCS to my Non-MMCS Galant, can any1 give me some advice ? I only want the aircon control and head unit working properly without any trouble, that's all
6. I planned to change the Head Unit 1 DIN (Alpine CDA 9887) since stock HU from MMCS can't support iPod, is it possible to change the head unit ?
7. These are the items that I'm looking for my 8G, is it complete enough ?
-Touchscreen monitor + Head Unit (Screen Ratio 16:9) MR383900 dari Galant VR-4 or VR-G Facelift
-Main processor unit MR383898. (Not from Legnum)
-Bootable Cdrom with firmware and maps for GPS navigation MR285494
-Special unit recieves traffic jam information MZ608396 SNX-V11
-Complete Wiring, Loom and Harness (Not from Legnum)