PDA

View Full Version : Hello...A Little Help Please

peteyg
17-03-2007, 02:49 PM
Hello, my name is Pete , I work in a Mitsubishi parts in the states & am trying to find a part for something out of one of your Galant VR4's & American Mitsubishi has been little to no help at all. I came across your site a couple years back when I got my 1991 Galant VR4 (which unfortunately I just had to sell after the new baby was born).

What I am looking for is the 4.11 final drive / ring gear & shaft that are in some of your Galant Vr4s. If you have a version of CAPS the PNC numbers are 22400 and 22605.

Also what is the Model & Chassis code for your generation VR4.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Pete:beerchug:

Kieran
17-03-2007, 04:08 PM
Welcome to the site Pete.

Can you confirm the car this is for, please? The reason is that the PNC codes are all the same, but they'll resolve to a different part number depending on the model, as I've just found out.

I need the year and the chassis code - It should be in this format:

Chassis: EC5A or EC5W

Model code - I think if it's a manual it'll be SNGF or SNGF3, but I need to know for sure.

Soon as I have that I can get you the part numbers.

peteyg
17-03-2007, 04:45 PM
Welcome to the site Pete.

Can you confirm the car this is for, please? The reason is that the PNC codes are all the same, but they'll resolve to a different part number depending on the model, as I've just found out.

I need the year and the chassis code - It should be in this format:

Chassis: EC5A or EC5W

Model code - I think if it's a manual it'll be SNGF or SNGF3, but I need to know for sure.

Soon as I have that I can get you the part numbers.

This is where the problem lies, I don't know. I was hoping that one of you guys would be able to help me in that department. What I want them for is to put in a Mitsubishi Evolution VIII. Here is the only information I have at this point, it is from someone in Taiwan who did this.

"Ok, I talked to my mechanic and he said that the 4.11 gearing is from the JDM V6 Galant VR4 twin turbo. The final gearing from that car however comes in two versions, the 4.11 and another one that's geared more like 4.53, so be careful at which gearing you buy and look the parts first. Sorry I cannot find out the exact model years."

I gave this information to someone at American Mitsubishi corprate office & I don't know if he ran into the same issue as you but if they run have any problem they give up.

I have been told that you can get this set-up through HKS in America but they charge a huge premium because they get these from HKS Japan. But I am unable to even find those ones.

Kieran
17-03-2007, 06:35 PM
I see. Well, I imagine this might be of interest to owners in our club too, so I've done some further digging. And lo and behold - It's your lucky day. I've just checked the JDM VR-4 brochures I have here and the pre-facelift manual VR-4 (1996-1998) havs 4.11 listed as the Final drive ratio for both saloon and estate.

So, I've bunged in the details to CAPS and this is the outcome.

For your future information, if you're using CAPS...

The Galant VR-4 is listed under 'model' as EC5A. If you want to look at the manual version, choose 'SNGF' from the classification, if you want to look up an automatic version, choose 'SYGF'.

For the Legnum (estate version), the model is EC5W, classification is LNGF for manual and LYGF for auto. Mechanically they're pretty much identical. I did check both versions and the part numbers for those PNC codes are the same for saloon and estate.

And see the attached.:scholar:

peteyg
17-03-2007, 07:33 PM
Thank you!! PM sent.

bradc
17-03-2007, 09:08 PM
Ahha! I was doing the exact same research as you for the last few weeks into the gear sets, after finding that evo 7 gear sets were the same as ours, but with longer 1st, 2nd and 5th gears. I did find all that info and probably the same post that you read as well about the Galant final drive gears. It looks as if Kieran has already given you all the numbers you need.

Have you found this website? http://www.teamrip.com/

They make a 3.73 final drive as well as a 4.111, they are quite expensive though, at $1000-1100 for the gear.

TAR
18-03-2007, 12:11 AM
Kieran, thats very good detective work. Its good to see somone putting so much effort into helping others. Rep coming your way!!/notworthy

Oh and /Welcome2 to the club Peteyg

Kieran
18-03-2007, 03:02 AM
Kieran, thats very good detective work. Its good to see somone putting so much effort into helping others. Rep coming your way!!/notworthy

Why, thankyou! Much appreciated!:happy: /thankyou

peteyg
19-03-2007, 02:27 PM
Ahha! I was doing the exact same research as you for the last few weeks into the gear sets, after finding that evo 7 gear sets were the same as ours, but with longer 1st, 2nd and 5th gears. I did find all that info and probably the same post that you read as well about the Galant final drive gears. It looks as if Kieran has already given you all the numbers you need.

Have you found this website? http://www.teamrip.com/

They make a 3.73 final drive as well as a 4.111, they are quite expensive though, at $1000-1100 for the gear.

Yes I know all about TRE, they are actually a competitor to my biggest customer. I believe they sell the HKS final drive which I hear is the same exact thing. I deal with Shepherd Racing. Their website is http://www.sheptrans.com/ . I am hoping I will be able to get these direct from Mitsubishi with a much lower price tag.

peteyg
19-03-2007, 02:40 PM
OK........I just got an email from the guy in Taiwan who originally gave me the info & he said he went back to his mechanic & was told it was from a 1989 Galant GVR-4 RS . So if you could please run those again for a E39A (thats what I'm guessing it would be), it would be greatly appreciated. Looking at CAPS it looks totally different than the EVO set-up but if I can get part numbers I can figure it out hopefully.

Kieran
19-03-2007, 05:36 PM
OK........I just got an email from the guy in Taiwan who originally gave me the info & he said he went back to his mechanic & was told it was from a 1989 Galant GVR-4 RS . So if you could please run those again for a E39A (thats what I'm guessing it would be), it would be greatly appreciated. Looking at CAPS it looks totally different than the EVO set-up but if I can get part numbers I can figure it out hopefully.

Oooh christ.... I can't remember where my 6G brochure is - I know it's somewhere!:thinking:

I'll see if I can find it and let you know as there were a couple of versions of 6G VR-4 too. :book:

peteyg
19-03-2007, 06:08 PM
It doesn't make sense to me, the 1991 I had was a total different setup, & by going by the Galant history on here the Galants in the states are about 2 years behind the ones you have over there.

bradc
19-03-2007, 07:53 PM
I doubt a 6G VR-4 would work at all, considering that they are completely different in everyway.

I would stick with trying to find 8G gears, which our model years were from 1996-2002.

Also I've heard of Shep racing too, they don't do a 3.7x do they?

peteyg
19-03-2007, 08:19 PM
I doubt a 6G VR-4 would work at all, considering that they are completely different in everyway.

I would stick with trying to find 8G gears, which our model years were from 1996-2002.

Also I've heard of Shep racing too, they don't do a 3.7x do they?

As for the 6G & 8G gearing that is what i was thinking.

I asked Shep about the 3.7 and he said he feels it is too tall so he hasn't pursued doing it. He is presently doing the 4.11 but doesn't have a good source of getting them here.

bradc
19-03-2007, 08:22 PM
Ahh ok, for EVO's they might be a bit too tall because of the larger turbo and the smaller engine, the lag would be pronounced. For us with our small turbos and virtually no lag, it wouldn't be much of a problem. We also have different gear ratios to you guys.

I will call mitsi today and see what price they quote for the two gears you need

peteyg
19-03-2007, 08:34 PM
I appreciate that, I will be curious to see. I need to call American Mitsubishi to see what they say also. Usually the non-USA parts are expensive & take 2-3 months for me to get.

bradc
19-03-2007, 10:38 PM
md749217 $410
md770339 $450

Prices in NZ$, they are both ex-japan though

soapy1978
29-03-2007, 01:25 PM
hello