PDA

View Full Version : lowered suspension

Slimshady
18-03-2007, 01:06 AM
I changed the coils today – well the front ones, ran out of time because I helped a mate change all of his brakes and disks before I started.

Check out the photos – first shows the car way to high – V6 with fat VR4 suspension fitted (VR4 is ¼ tone heavier hence the lift) also running on the outer rims of the tyres.

The second shows how to remove the old springs, I removed the anti-roll bar first then the bolt holding the bottom of the strut to the fork (note this is captive you have to completely remove the bolt) then the bolt at the bottom of the forks (big wrench required) and finally the 3 nuts holding the top of the strut to the car (under bonnet) hold the strut when doing this. Finally push the calliper part down to separate the strut from the fork. This thread (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18877) is spot on, I deviated in the order of removal but all the same, all I am doing is adding to the detail and providing a couple more helpful hints. After removing the unit and trying to use a 14mm spanner + mould grips I eventually placed the flat of the strut in a vice, more grip than mould grips and undone the nut – don’t attempt to undo the nut with the suspension still on the car, the weight of the car will not help – use coil compressors to remove the forces + soak with WD40 for a while before you attempt to undo them. Note the forces involved in the photos – the coil compressors are bending please be careful when attempting this.

The next photo shows the order of assembly laid out on the floor.

Difference between normal VR4 coils and V6 lowered coils

Now the tricky bit, putting it all back together, clamp the new coils down using coil compressors but do not make the same mistake as me, compressing the coil before reassembling i.e. place the strut into the spring and ensure the seat is correct (the bottom of the spring) place the gator on then use the coil compressors evenly to ensure the end is central. When you have compressed enough (place the end on periodically to check) assemble the top of the unit and screw the main nut on, before you remove the coil compressors ensure one of the 3 top bolts lines up vertically with the pip on the bottom of the suspension strut – I do not have a photo but this should be obvious, a small rectangular plate is welded to the bottom with a pip running vertically, this is not precision engineering, just as close as you can get it.

You should be looking at something like this:

Now reverse the procedure to obtain wicked results – the car now has a couple of mm play on the front and I drove it home via lots of speed bumps (very slowly) and it just scrapes a on some.

I have a squeaking sound from the offside – therefore more fun and games for tomorrow along with changing the rear – so yet more boring photos and engineers talk later.

Gly
18-03-2007, 02:40 AM
too high!!
make it lower :P

or do you just have really low profile tyres?

looks good thou, vast improvement over the original photos

Wodjno
18-03-2007, 11:31 AM
Looks alot better :pimp2:

But what size tyre and wheels are you running ??

Dan_G
18-03-2007, 11:43 AM
yep looks 100 times better....

do my eyes deceive me or is that tyre bald? /pan

ANTHONY
18-03-2007, 11:53 AM
looking good slim........this my 2.0 sport lowered. with 215/45/17. and i now have loads of scrapes on the front spoiler

Slimshady
18-03-2007, 04:44 PM
Looks alot better :pimp2:

But what size tyre and wheels are you running ??

215/45/17

Slimshady
18-03-2007, 04:45 PM
yep looks 100 times better....

do my eyes deceive me or is that tyre bald? /pan

Only a bit on the outer wall - rest of the tyre is good

Vector
19-03-2007, 12:05 PM
off topic i know but Anthony's avatar gives me the creeps :curtain:

jayjay99
19-03-2007, 01:41 PM

Lol, I know, I scrolled past and then went back and was like wtf?!? /lol

Looks great by the way slim, gonna be doing mine soon, what make are yours and where did you get them?

ANTHONY
19-03-2007, 09:40 PM
off topic i know but Anthony's avatar gives me the creeps :curtain:sorry guys

Slimshady
24-03-2007, 11:48 PM
Lol, I know, I scrolled past and then went back and was like wtf?!? /lol

Looks great by the way slim, gonna be doing mine soon, what make are yours and where did you get them?

Sorry Just read this - try this link - http://www.toys4cars.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=327_800_1070

Slim

Slimshady
24-03-2007, 11:51 PM

Your soooo right – that’s tonnes more chilling than my Tabi boots

ANTHONY
26-06-2008, 08:56 PM
has any body ever had any problems changing the suspention on a vr4 if so what? i mean the change over not once its done

Kieran
26-06-2008, 10:18 PM
has any body ever had any problems changing the suspention on a vr4 if so what? i mean the change over not once its done

Having trouble tony?

Problems I have had with my VR-4:

The bottom bolt holding on the rear shock absorber had siezed solid on one side and started to undo the bigger threaded nut it screws into! Some heat, plusgas and a couple of really big spanners shifted it. Oh, and language that would make Robert Mugabe blush...

Problems with every sodding 8G I've changed the suspension on (3 now):

The front strut top nut is stupidly tight and it's difficult to get the strut piston to hold still whilst you back the bloody thing off. And because you've got a coil spring being pinned down by compressors you can't be too brutal either!

Wodjno
26-06-2008, 10:29 PM
Only issue i had was the drop links /Grrr

The nut on the rear of the drop links just rounded off completely.. Obviously the main prob was that the nut itself had prolly seized /yes

I ended up cutting them off with my angle grinder and getting some replacements from Mo :afro:

Zaid
27-06-2008, 10:37 AM
Slimshady, are those PI springs?
Am I right in saying that you have kept your old dampers on?
How is the ride now?.... Thanks

White Lightning
27-06-2008, 12:51 PM

No problems at all when I took mine apart :D
(sorry, that's not a lot of help is it /pan )

ANTHONY
27-06-2008, 03:05 PM
Having trouble tony?

not yet i just dont wana start it late in the afternoon then get a problem. i did my sport with no problem but then that was a newer car.

Slimshady
29-06-2008, 12:13 AM
Yes they are PI V6 lowering springs, although I have a bizarre set up, the car is a V6 and I have VR4 shocks all round with V6 PI lowered springs on the front. (the rear PI V6 springs are not compatible with VR4 shocks so if anyone wants to make an offer for them they have been sitting in the garage for ages)

The “after” photo is not true, after time the springs and shocks bedded in and the height of the car dropped a lot more + I now have Eagle F1 225 X 45 R17’s on and at the same time I had the camber, toe and alignment changed along with all of the ball joints and roll bars. (that was a very expensive MOT) also I have fitted a top strut bar which also stiffens things up.

Let me warn you all that although the above mod’s are a cool thing to do and it also turns your floppy car into a go-cart to help get to Sainsbury’s quick on a Saturday morning, you will have some down sides;

Any speed bump is a major major trauma you find yourself using all that lovely power and ceramic brakes speeding from one to another simply so you don’t p155 off the car behind as you crawl over the next (I have had to replace and change the position of my front Neon due to this)

All B roads that haven’t been resurfaced for more than 3 days are also a challenge, the car jumps around with every minor pothole or stone, you need to be on the ball every nano second.

When you pull a trailer tent over an uneven campsite you need to take the family to the dentist as soon as you get back.

Comfort has been exchanged with excellence, therefore if you have bum grapes or hate the dentist then this is not the mod for you.

Slim

ANTHONY
05-07-2008, 04:31 PM
just fitted the RS*R suspension to with no issues today the car is now very

L
O
W
:happy:

Slimshady
06-07-2008, 01:06 AM
Cool Man :afro:

chris vr4
06-07-2008, 03:30 PM
u got any pix of it now its lowered???

ANTHONY
06-07-2008, 03:37 PM
u got any pix of it now its lowered???here.http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32851

chris vr4
06-07-2008, 03:59 PM
i like that m8 and if u are considering selling let me no plz.

i like the new ebay bargain wheels 2 m8

but imo i prefer the black 1s u already have.

ANTHONY
06-07-2008, 09:19 PM
i may be taken them off as they are a bit to low for the wife. i''ll let you know chris

chris vr4
06-07-2008, 09:30 PM
let me no either way plz m8.
collection isnt a problem as i am only in croydon bud.