PDA

View Full Version : castrol srf or ...

psbarham
18-03-2007, 07:12 PM
amsoil brake fluid , come on Don, which is best ??

bernmc
18-03-2007, 08:01 PM
I used RBF600 which in the VR4 and the Nissan. Nissan's brakes never gave a hint of fade on the track day.

And it was a lot cheaper than SRF or SuperBlue

psbarham
18-03-2007, 08:26 PM
heres a list of the wet and dry boiling points of the main contenders , as you can see castrol is head and shoulders above everything else

Fluid .................................DRY......WET
Castrol LMA DOT 3/4........446.......311
Ford Heavy Duty DOT 3....550.......290
ATE Super Blue Racing.....536.......392
ATE TYP 200 ....................536.......392
Motul Racing 600 .............585.......421
Castrol SRF ......................590.......518
Performance Friction ......550...... 284

WildCards
18-03-2007, 11:55 PM
Good argument for Castrol there Paul.

amsoil
19-03-2007, 12:01 AM
Castrol SRF and AP's 660 are both way ahead of the opposition. However they are also corresive with a PH of 9-10 as I recall and also 3 to 4 times the cost of most other good brake fluids. I think they tell you that SRF can be left in the system for a year or 18 months but I found that for best results we would change it every 2 weeks and at nearly £40 a litre that added up.
If you remove the special race fluids from the equation you will find that the best balance of high dry and high wet is ATE + its a good price and lasts 3 years. Well thats what we decided and thats why we stock it (and cheaper than anyone else) It was good enough for my Group C car at Spa and Monza even when used in anger.

psbarham
19-03-2007, 06:32 PM
fair do's don , i didn't realise about how corrosive the castrol is , so how much is the ATE+ then ? i can get the srf for 36 quid a litre which is fecking expensive but the first impressions make it seem reasonable , but a couple of litres every year sort of out weighs the benefits

amsoil
19-03-2007, 07:31 PM
SRF at £36 per litre equals the very best price I have heard of for Castrols best. (I have seen if at over £50) ATE is here http://performanceoilsltd.co.uk/brake_fluid.html
But do note the differences in temperatures stated. If you look around the web you will see similar variations, no doubt with people getting their calcs or multipiers wrong or even using the minimum Dot 3 / 5.1 etc.
With club discount the ATE is £14.40 from Performance Oils but even at full wack I have never found anyone cheaper.

psbarham
19-03-2007, 07:39 PM
2 or 3 litres for a full flush ? answers on a postcard please :D

Kieran
20-03-2007, 01:17 PM
2 or 3 litres for a full flush ? answers on a postcard please :D

It took less than a can for my fluid to be completely pushed through, including the reservoir - changing from standard to blue fluid makes flushing a doddle!:afro:

Wodjno
20-03-2007, 02:35 PM
It took less than a can for my fluid to be completely pushed through, including the reservoir - changing from standard to blue fluid makes flushing a doddle!:afro:

Certainly does :D Used that ATE on Ti.. Was good stuff. Was told it was ****e by someone else and as i knew no better i believed them and didn't use it no more.. Then spoke to Don at Donny and he said otherwise.. /pan

Not sure if you can do it ?? But i was told that 1 drop of food colouring does the job in normal colour brake fluid, just change the colour each time.. Never tried it??? And don't know if it would contaminate the fluid..

Will wait to here from Don on that 1 :scholar:

psbarham
20-03-2007, 06:39 PM
feck me , the abs unit can't hold a lot i know when i did a full change on my mates old 600 it took about 2 1/2 litres to flush it all through the abs unit , mind you i was being rather fussy with it

bernmc
20-03-2007, 06:50 PM
I used less than a litre when I fitted the rear brembo's...

Wodjno
20-03-2007, 07:43 PM
feck me , the abs unit can't hold a lot i know when i did a full change on my mates old 600 it took about 2 1/2 litres to flush it all through the abs unit , mind you i was being rather fussy with it

I used less than 1 litre of ATE on my Ti.. :speechles

What were you doing ! Drinking it :evilgrin:

psbarham
20-03-2007, 08:38 PM
I used less than 1 litre of ATE on my Ti.. :speechles

What were you doing ! Drinking it :evilgrin:
nah , the car had done about 120000 miles and no record of any brake fluid being changed , the fluid was a darker shade of black , so any trace of black and it was back to pumping the pedal , never bothered to find out how much the standard system held , so looks like it got a damn good flushing

amsoil
21-03-2007, 11:41 AM
I think you will find that it all depends on just how far out the brake pistons are (worn pads) With new pads and the pistons fully in I would doubt if any car would use a full Litre or more. There is a lot of volume in those pistons and very little in the pipes.