PDA

View Full Version : A couple of questions about AYC ...

White Lightning
19-03-2007, 11:11 AM
I do seem to be coming out with lots of questions at the moment ... :inquisiti /pan ... I guess that 's just because I am trying to get all those little things sorted on the car ... :scholar:

Anyway ... I have a couple of questions about my AYC.

----------

1). I have the red AYC light on the dash but it never lights up when I turn on the ignition. In fact, I have never seen it light up at all. I know it's there as I can see it when there is sunlight on the dash. I think my AYC is all working ok because

a) when I turn on the ignition, the 3 green bars light up and then go out.

b) the green bars light up when pushing the car across roundabouts etc ... even managed to get all 3 on before now.

c) I don't seem to come off the road ... /pan

Question: Is this likely to just be a bulb gone in the dash ? Is it easy to replace the bulb ? Can I get the bulb from Mitsi ?

----------

2). I checked my AYC fluid level yesterday. Realised that I had not checked it for a looong time and it's been about 3000 miles since Mitsi changed it for me. The level was bang on half way between MIN and MAX. What would everyone do - leave it as is or top up to the MAX mark ? If I need to top it up, roughly how much would I need ?

Cheers
Wayne

berg1987
19-03-2007, 11:17 AM
im not too sure about the second question but in regards to the first one: it's most likely the bulb, i had the same thing with the srs light for my airbags, i just took it to my local auto electric garage and the changed it.

Spirit
19-03-2007, 12:20 PM
If the green lights are all working fine then I agree with your thoughts about the bulb being blown on the red ayc.

Personally, I would leave the AYC level where it is and just check it to see if there is any drop in a month or so.

jayjay99
19-03-2007, 01:26 PM
You can get the bulbs from halfords, really easy to do, there's this (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2629&highlight=dash) guide by Keiran on removing the shroud to get to the clocks. Should help.

White Lightning
23-02-2008, 09:26 PM
Well, I finally got around to the job today of investigating why my red AYC light does not light ... only had the car just over 18 months /pan

I removed the clocks using Kieran' excellent article above and found that there was no bulb fitted for the AYC. The first thing I thought was "I bet it won't turn off once I've put a bulb in" but I borrowed the bulb from the engine management light and when turning on the ignition it lights and goes out as it should :pimp2:

So, I popped down to Halfords to get a bulb but although they have the correct panel bulbs they don't have the bulb holder so will have to get that from Mitsi.

Of course, there may still be a problem when I drive it but first indications are good ... and my AYC has always worked fine AFAIK :afro:

Paul Beazer
23-02-2008, 10:29 PM
Bet there was a big sigh of relief there then Wayne!

Subaru ETA
23-02-2008, 10:53 PM
in regards to the ayc level. do you know when you are supposed to check it? like when its hot or cold??? thread just got me thinking

White Lightning
23-02-2008, 11:21 PM
I have always checked it when it's cold ... no idea if it makes a difference though ... :thinking:

Spirit
23-02-2008, 11:37 PM
That's good news then Wayne :2thumbsup

thecustomer
24-02-2008, 12:06 AM
I have always checked it when it's cold ... no idea if it makes a difference though ... :thinking:

Ralliart mechanic told me to wait 1/2 an hour after running the car before checking ayc levels

ayc fluid operates under pressure, so level would show low... and you'd run the risk of overfilling, if you checked the levels too soon after running the car

makes sense

Will

White Lightning
24-02-2008, 11:14 AM
Bet there was a big sigh of relief there then Wayne!

/yes