PDA

View Full Version : Help please, we got a problem ...........

HJM
21-03-2007, 08:21 PM
.................... well, two actually!!

The VR4 had some tyres fitted this evening and they discovered that the rear passenger shock absorber is freshly leaking and a spigot ring is missing /Grrr

So, first of all - is the missing spigot ring a problem?

The shocks are more of a potential issue, as they are Bilsteins but I have no idea which ones!

Does anyone know a) what part number they are likely to be or b) is there likely to be a part number on them, if I get in and have a good look (I have only ever seen a small Bilstein sticker with no obvious distinguishing marks on them)?

Failing this, Camskill sell standard rear shocks - although I am a bit concerned about how this will change the handling, bearing in mind I am off to Germany in two weeks time :inquisiti

Oh, yes - to add to the urgency of this - it is being MOT'd on Monday and I assume that a leaking shock will be a fail /help

Any assistance or advice will be very much appreciated /thankyou

Failing that, it's plan B for Easter .......................

Cheers,

Heath

bernmc
21-03-2007, 09:37 PM
The bilsteins do start off with stickers on them with model details. I think mine have long since come off, but I can have a :inquisiti tomorrow for you if you don;t have any luck.

I've got four original spec shocks lying in the garage if you need something in a hurry. They came with the car when I imported it - I've no idea what condition they're in, but as the car had only done 45000 miles then, and the Jap owner had bothered to keep them when he swapped to bilsteins, I assume they must have some life...

You're a long way away though - not sure that I'd be able to get them sent to you in time for the MOT...?

stuartturbo
21-03-2007, 09:42 PM
spigot ring as in what locates the wheel if so you may be lucky and the bolts hold the wheel true but they are probably a standard off the shelf item so it may be worth getting one to ensure true running of wheel

HJM
21-03-2007, 10:10 PM
Cheers guys :iloveyou:

Bern - thanks for the offer, we may be in touch :2thumbsup

The plan for now is for me (on my nice, relaxing day off tomorrow /Grrr ) to take it to the garage who is supposed to be MOTing it on Monday and see if he can see what we have and what he can do in the very short timescale :inquisiti

Hey ho,

J :)

SGHOM
21-03-2007, 10:13 PM
67mm spigots are ten a penny. I've got three fitted..... that will do for now. :inquisiti :thinking:

Kieran
21-03-2007, 10:48 PM
The Bilstein shocks are easy.

Standard size and black in colour are B4 shocks.

Standard size and yellow in colour are B6s

Shorter than standard size and yellow will be B8s, like mine.

I would imagine, unless your Legnum has had new shocks since it's been in the UK that your bilsteins will be B6s.... They are the ones that appear on all the Japanese websites.

And you want part numbers to match, do you?

Read this thread:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18061

:scholar:

HJM
21-03-2007, 11:10 PM
Kieran, we bow to your superior knowledge and hoped that you would be around to see this thread but...........

ours are sky blue (and I have just sent him out to double check in the dark with a torch) ?!

No idea what that means!!

Kieran
21-03-2007, 11:31 PM
Kieran, we bow to your superior knowledge and hoped that you would be around to see this thread but...........

ours are sky blue (and I have just sent him out to double check in the dark with a torch) ?!

No idea what that means!!

Sky blue, you say.....:thinking:

You sure they're not KYB Ultra SR's?

HJM
21-03-2007, 11:34 PM
Sky blue, you say.....:thinking:

You sure they're not KYB Ultra SR's?

I'm not sure of anything - lol - but Heath says they definitely have Bilstein stickers on?

I'll see what the garage can make out tomorrow I guess.

Cheers for your help though :2thumbsup

The Vee
21-03-2007, 11:35 PM
On the Spigot ring, would say stuarts' nailed that one - preferable to have it in though, as it will ensure the nuts seating correctly.
On the shocks, if I recall correctly, your car is lowered possibly more than 30mm in which case you may have a spring/shocker combination, just a thought as that may explain the different colour. Still be able to get shocker separately, just knowing which one.

Kieran
21-03-2007, 11:38 PM
I'm not sure of anything - lol - but Heath says they definitely have Bilstein stickers on?

I'll see what the garage can make out tomorrow I guess.

Cheers for your help though :2thumbsup

No worries. The only Jap-Spec shocks I know of that are that colour are The UltraSRs - Never known billies in that colour?:inquisiti

HJM
21-03-2007, 11:44 PM
Why do these things always happen just before you 'need' them not to?

Still, I guess in the scheme of things, this VR4 has been pretty reliable :iloveyou: Maybe it just wants to stay home for Easter :inquisiti

I will see what Richard says tomorrow and we will take it from there - thanks everyone :2thumbsup

Cheers Andy - I still have no idea what a spigot ring is /lol

The Vee
21-03-2007, 11:53 PM
Why do these things always happen just before you 'need' them not to?

Still, I guess in the scheme of things, this VR4 has been pretty reliable :iloveyou: Maybe it just wants to stay home for Easter :inquisiti

I will see what Richard says tomorrow and we will take it from there - thanks everyone :2thumbsup

Cheers Andy - I still have no idea what a spigot ring is /lol

It fits on the inside of the wheel and helps to centralise the wheel on the hub in loose terms!!

HJM
21-03-2007, 11:58 PM
It fits on the inside of the wheel and helps to centralise the wheel on the hub in loose terms!!

Cheers Andy :iloveyou:

amsoil
22-03-2007, 12:19 AM
Hate to chuck a spanner in here but you are really ment to change shocks in pairs..... Just my little 2 p s worth /pan

HJM
22-03-2007, 12:24 AM
Hate to chuck a spanner in here but you are really ment to change shocks in pairs..... Just my little 2 p s worth /pan

No spanner Don, we will be changing the pair (at least) once we establish what the heck they are :thumbsup:

Spirit
22-03-2007, 12:32 AM
Good luck in getting this sorted guys....especially so close to RT5. I can't shed much light on the Blisteins being blue either as never seen them in that colour.

Part of me wonders if H is sneakily hoping plan B is put into action ?:evilgrin:

Spirit
22-03-2007, 12:40 AM
Just found this info.........there are different colours.....off too dig more:

http://www2.bilstein.de/en/produkte/tuning.php3

HJM
22-03-2007, 12:40 AM
Part of me wonders if H is sneakily hoping plan B is put into action ?:evilgrin:

What, you mean - sabbotage :speechles

Wouldn't bl00dy surprise me - lol

HJM
22-03-2007, 12:45 AM
Just found this info.........there are different colours.....off too dig more:

http://www2.bilstein.de/en/produkte/tuning.php3

Cheers Pete :iloveyou:

The blue shocks seem to be the adjustable ones (that my sad searches have found anyway) and pretty sure ours aren't?

Oh, I don't know, its all far too complimakated - can I just stick a plaster on it??

Spirit
22-03-2007, 12:53 AM
Just casting my mind back to when I spoke to Bilstein when they were at the Ring once....and I'm sure I remember the guy saying they didn't do anything for the Legnum.....just the Galant at the time.....:thinking:

As Kieran advised in the thread he listed above, they now list the B6's in the catalogue for the Legnum.

dogwagon
22-03-2007, 01:11 AM
I believe that the Spiggot rings vary in size according to the Brand / Model of WHEEL that is fitted to a particular car!
ie
The OUTER dimension should be TIGHT to the INNER surface of the hole in the centre of the wheel.
( thus different brands of wheels vary in this dimension!)
The Inner dimension should be a snug fit to the protruding centre part of the cars wheel hub !
(thus this dimension should always be the same for a particular make / model / year of car!)

The conclusion would be : If you have Aftermarket wheels on your car, you will need to order the correct spiggot rings from somewhere that is a Dealer for that brand of wheels!
The spiggot rings have TWO measurements embossed onto them: inner & Outer sizes, in mm,
eg 64.4 / 57.3 mm

ALSO if you dont have snug fitting Spiggot Rings, it is likely that over time your wheel bolt holes will become OVAL due to the wheels moving slightly on the bolts / nuts!

Hope that explains / helps!

g6acb
22-03-2007, 01:12 AM
forgive me if i am being dumb here but what are the shocks leaking? I thought bilstein shocks were gas jobbies so how can you see them leaking?:thinking:

Kenneth
22-03-2007, 04:54 AM
forgive me if i am being dumb here but what are the shocks leaking? I thought bilstein shocks were gas jobbies so how can you see them leaking?:thinking:

Definition: A type of shock absorber that's pressurized with nitrogen gas to reduce internal foaming and cavitation. Considered to be a premium grade shock, gas shocks are often used as original equipment on sports sedans and even mini-vans. A gas shock usually provides noticeably better ride control and flatter cornering. They're well worth considering if you're in need of replacement shocks.
attachment.php?attachmentid=16358&stc=1&d=1174535683

There you go :)

HJM
22-03-2007, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the help so far guys - just thought I'd clarify some of the facts about the problem:

1. Shocks are very dirty, but the lower sleeving is definitely sky blue as per Bilstein's logo colouring and none of the shocks are adjustable.

2. The leaking shock is on the passenger side (so not a fuel leak) and it looks quite fresh - the liquid has run 3/4 down the absorber stem and approx coated the outer half.

3. Car is behaving as normal and I cannot gauge any difference from bouncing (well they hardly move anyway !) the rear shocks.

Unless we get lucky with our local mechanic today I think plan B is on the cards - provided I can buy sufficient underwear !!!

Also it may pay not to rush this one and look at the economics of replacing the whole set up as the fronts can't last that much longer I would have thought :inquisiti

cheers
H

K9NG
22-03-2007, 09:17 AM
Sorry to hear this guys, it's normally me with the last minute PITA!!
Got agree that it maybe easier to replace the whole lot
as oppossed to finding the correct ones for the rear.
Keep us posted /grouphug

Simon
22-03-2007, 04:42 PM
Me and paul will be over later to change them for you......!

well we did a good job on the Supra!

Ive been reading up and think i can get my spare Skyline set of Cuscos to fit with the aid of a hammer!!

No, dont rush to thank me, i'll be leaving in a bit....you can thank me when i get there!

Do you have a sledge hammer to hand :inquisiti :speechles

HJM
22-03-2007, 05:41 PM
Cheers Simon, I'll put the kettle on :iloveyou:

Well, I took the car to the garage this afternoon but we are no further forward - just confirmed that they are indeed blue with Bilstein stickers on (and it is leaking quite badly) but no further information than that, although he did say that he thinks the shocks themselves are shortened (no real surprise).

As they were on the car when we bought it, I guess they could be anything up to 10 years old, so may just not be made anymore?

It's all good fun /pan

Kieran
22-03-2007, 06:13 PM
Bleh, seeing as your car's lowered and what have you, I'd just fit a set of Bilstein B6s or B8s and be done with it. Just as cheap as OEM/Standard spec ones and probably will work better with the lowering springs.

HJM
25-03-2007, 06:12 PM
Bleh, seeing as your car's lowered and what have you, I'd just fit a set of Bilstein B6s or B8s and be done with it. Just as cheap as OEM/Standard spec ones and probably will work better with the lowering springs.

Cheers Kieran - that is most likely what we will do but it will have to wait until after Easter now - plan B is go, go, go /help