PDA

View Full Version : Evo Gearset in the VR4 Gearbox

mpau009
22-03-2007, 10:32 AM
/secret Following on from Bradcs R&D, and this thread: http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22849&page=1

I got back from Kenneths, and after he managed to get the reverse gear out, we had a go at fitting the first set of evo gears that Brad got his hands on..

/Camera And it seems like they are indeed a direct swap:guitarist and even though we didnt try it, it looks like the second and longer set of gears will fit just as easily.

Heres some pics of the gearbox with the new gears installed in it:pimp2: see if you can pick it out amongst Kenneths chop-shop of a garage:P

Kenneth
22-03-2007, 10:41 AM
Thanks for taking the pics and getting the vice grips to me tonight :)

was glad to finally get it done.

btw, those are the Evo gears in the gearbox, not the standard ones! (changed them before taking the pics, standard ones are in the box)

bradc
22-03-2007, 10:50 AM
Nice one guys.
I just thought of something though, the output gear on the gearset that outputs it's power to the big crown wheel, does that actually line up with the crown wheel, and how many teeth does that output gear have on the evo ones (both of them) compared to the VR-4 one? Cause if that number is different then it could screw everything up

mpau009
22-03-2007, 07:25 PM
I never stopped to count the teeth, but with the bellhousing in place like in the second pic, but not bolted down Ken could go through the gears, and neutral, and it all was turning smoothly even with the crown gear in.

bradc
22-03-2007, 07:41 PM
I'll get Kenneth to do it tonight :)

Kenneth
22-03-2007, 09:40 PM
I'll get Kenneth to do it tonight :)

If it isn't the same I may just have to lock the centre diff and take out the front axles! What a shame that would be.

RogerRally
13-04-2007, 10:53 PM
As the picture shows the final crown wheel and pinion are a set gear ratio ( 4.3 on GSR and 4.8 on RS), the output then goes direct to open center diff planet gears, and then outputs into the two splined shafts that take the drive to the transfer box. At this point the car car can run quite happily on different size tyres or different front/ rear diff ratios.
Its only when mated to the viscous coupling inside the transfer box does the car become an exact 50/ 50 split.
I did do a conversion once with a welded up center, that allowed rear wheel drive only, saved weight and understeer by removing front shafts, but 280 bhp through rear diff eventually broke!

KHK
14-04-2007, 08:03 AM
Is it possible to use 8g VR4 MT parts onto Evolution VII GTA?