PDA

View Full Version : some questions about some suspension/springs

Rosco_NZ
23-03-2007, 02:36 AM
Hey guys, looking at getting some adjustable suspension to raise the car a bit since the new exhaust is scrapping on the ground when she is loaded up.

do you think i just need to get new springs maybe "lows" instead of "superlows" or whatever is in it a the moment

or should i go with these
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Mitsubishi/Exterior/auction-92653005.htm

they came from a str? i think the Vr4 is slightly heavier?
or would these not fit?

Kenneth
23-03-2007, 02:51 AM
Hey guys, looking at getting some adjustable suspension to raise the car a bit since the new exhaust is scrapping on the ground when she is loaded up.

do you think i just need to get new springs maybe "lows" instead of "superlows" or whatever is in it a the moment

or should i go with these
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Mitsubishi/Exterior/auction-92653005.htm

they came from a str? i think the Vr4 is slightly heavier?
or would these not fit?

Personally I prefer coilovers.

Those ones will fit, but yes there is a difference in weight in the VR-4. It shouldn't be huge at least from the STR (you have the AYC and turbos, but that should be the majority of it)

You could always ask on the auction if they are specifically setup for the STR, or if they should be fine on a VR-4. Get as much info as you can, brand name, spring rates etc if you can.

All this info will let you decide if they are worth it. Biggest question is how much do you have to spend?

Rosco_NZ
25-03-2007, 10:50 PM
Really i cant afford to spend anything at the moment,
but better off preventing having to get yet another exhaust and other damage to the underside of the car by raising it (preventative maintence rather than the more expensive corrective type)

ideally i wouldn't want to spend more than $600 (since i sold a set of apexi coil-overs that used to be on the car for like $500). (in hindsight i shouldn't have sold them!)

some tein coilovers with in car adjustable dampers etc would be nice.. but that probably set ya back about 2k?

Kenneth
25-03-2007, 11:00 PM
base model of Tein are $2k I think... not sure if that is damper adjustable.

For $600 you are going second hand. Keep an eye out on trademe as they pop up from time to time.

Rosco_NZ
27-03-2007, 10:34 PM
anyone know the ride hieght difference between low's and superlows springs
for a vr4 leggy.

looking at getting some jamex 'lows' springs. but if they only raise it like 20mm or something then not really the solution i need.

CANDEE
27-03-2007, 10:43 PM
I think the difference is only 20mm.. but different springs settle differently...

Kenneth
27-03-2007, 10:43 PM
anyone know the ride hieght difference between low's and superlows springs
for a vr4 leggy.

looking at getting some jamex 'lows' springs. but if they only raise it like 20mm or something then not really the solution i need.

Wouldn't you be best ringing a retailer about that? Someone who sells them should be able to give you that information :)

Rosco_NZ
28-03-2007, 03:10 AM
o i would ask the retailer before buy them, but its fun to discuss such stuff on here.

Rosco_NZ
28-03-2007, 07:45 AM
Ok took the car back in to question about the questionable (pun intended) low exhaust, guy was like 'ah yeah that needs moved over a bit and lifted up, didn't notice, can fix it up for you 2mrw'. so im happy with that atleast, then i went across the road to buddy club/fast lane tyres and guy quoted $1750 for some fully adjustable coilovers + $350 for cert, could probably come to an arrangement at 2k.

so ive decided i spend my bonus money on some new coilovers in june (when bonus comes) until then i keep an eye on trademe for some cheap ones, might print off the ad at the start of the thread and ask the guys down at buddy club what they think of them. thing is for that ad it would end up costing $999parts + 75/hr * 4hr($300) labour then $350 for cert. $1600 just to get 2nd hand stuff.
think i could probably hold out another month and save the extra $400

:thinking:

but anyway short term it looks like the exhaust will be raised up and wont scrap with shopping in the back, might do if i load up a pallet of beer and a trio of girls in the back :pimp2: (dont tell the fiancee :scholar: )

guess my new computer will have to wait another 8 months or so...

d i c k i e s
29-03-2007, 12:07 PM
hahahaha... dont worry bro. theres alot on my waiting list.

ie, PS3, New PC, possibly new rims, BOV, Sounds for the car etc!