PDA

View Full Version : suspension parts pt II

psbarham
23-03-2007, 11:48 PM
a few people have now brought and fitted camskill bottom arms , me included , the trouble i have is my normally unprovokable V6 has be a nervous bag 'o ****e since fitting them , i knew the tracking was out so i thought this would be the cause of it , so i thought i would change the bushes for the poly ones and then get the whole thing 4 wheel tracked .
well the fitting of the bushes went well , until /Grrr i went to refit the arms , the arm to strut bush is mounted at an angle in the arm to line it up with the holes in the strut fork , now the fun :thinking: bit , when i went to replace the arms the mounting holes were miles out , now before you start going 'the bumkins got them arse about face' the arms have been replaced twice now , each time they have been replaced with the identical arms that came off ( the bolt and blank on the top of the arms denotes the side of fitment) now i even checked with the picture that Bern posted up of his replacement arm to make sure his were the same , and you can even see the offsetting of the casting to angle the bush so i was confident that the arms were the right way round . so if they are the right way round why does it look like this ????

uploaded/1031/1174689248.jpg
uploaded/1031/1174689282.jpg

quite a way out of line i think you'll agree

the rubber bush looked like this

uploaded/1031/1174689355.jpg

well and truly mullered , the annoying thing is the bolts went in and out OK when fitting them because of how squidgy (technical term:scholar: ) the rubber ones are

so next plan , reverse the arms , well bugger me sideways with a blunt instrument , the bushes line up perfectly :speechles

uploaded/1031/1174689553.jpg
uploaded/1031/1174689594.jpg

so the mystery deepens , has my car always had arse about arms , if so why does every thing line up perfectly ?
why did camskill confirm the part no.s for each side ?
why are Bern's arms the other way round ?

please help me , its pissing me off now /Grrr if anyone else can confirm which side of theirs has the bolt , and which has the blank it would be a great help

psbarham
26-03-2007, 06:43 PM
well to follow this up seeing as no one is interested :inquisiti , mine is finally back on the road , and the steering is soooooooo much better with the arms reversed , a lot more positive and lighter.

as for the rest of the issues , well i decided to fit the poly bushes this weekend , well the front took about 2 hrs to do , and the back took about 3 days /Grrr , well it wasn't the bushes so much as old age affecting the car .

when i took it to get 4 wheel aligned they couldn't budge the rear track control bolts , so i thought while I'm doing the bushes I'll do those as well . the bolt had seized into the crush tube which its self had come detached from the rubber, not realising this i thrashed 7 bells of siht out of the bolt . this had the unfortunate effect of pushing the crush tube through the subframe /Grrr /Grrr . not the end of the world i know , but the lack of 2 good track control arms was . so a quick :inquisiti trip to super Mo's at 2 pm Saturday was in order , well on arrival at the ever friendly Mo's he informed me that there was one on a car and one in the treasure trove , well after 10 minutes with the gas axe i had in my possession 2 arms one minter from a vr4 and one from a V6 that was in worse condition than the one on my car , but to give mo his due he didn't charge me for either :iloveyou: .

Sunday morning saw plan B come into action , i removed the old arms and straightened the subframe damage , the vr4 one was dropped right in and the other received a turned down poly bush (I'll explain in 't other thread) with the aid of a few stainless washers and some cunning i now have one vr4 and one temporally modded standard arm , so if anyone has a n/s rear track control arm from a low mileage vr4 (they have different bushes) kicking about give me a shout .
so all in all a complete tw@t of a weekend , and to cap it off i now have the flu so sod the car I'm off to bed /Grrr

bernmc
26-03-2007, 06:55 PM
poo. I've got one of camskills arms arriving tomorrow in time for the MOT thursday.... I'll be up the swannie if they've got them the wrong way around...

psbarham
26-03-2007, 06:58 PM
poo. I've got one of camskills arms arriving tomorrow in time for the MOT thursday.... I'll be up the swannie if they've got them the wrong way around...
i can't remeber which way round mine are now ,(i'll have a look in a minute ) but with them this way round the bolts for the shock near as damn it fall into place wheras all the others including the originals that bolt was a bit of a git to get in

psbarham
29-03-2007, 07:40 PM
one glimmer of light for people who have the full set yet to fit , and have a vr4 , the inner bush on the track control arm is the same diameter and length as the supposed front trailing arm bush , so it could (I'm not guaranteeing this so don't blame me , buy a set of verniers to check first) go in here , the only bit is the crush tube is shorter in the polys so a few washers would be needed to pack it out .

this wont work on the V6 as the inner bush is 36mm and on the VR4 its 40mm