PDA

View Full Version : I bled my own AYC rear diff.

Louis
24-03-2007, 12:04 AM
I bled my own AYC rear diff.
IT CAN BE DONE.
I fitted a new diff so I started from an empty diff and reservoir.
Put the car up on 4 axle stands,
Open bleed nipples, both of them, and pour in ayc fluid to the reservoir.
When the fluid starts to come through the bleed nipples, close the bleed nipples and attach a bleed hose to the left nipple. ( a piece of tube, similar to bleeding brakes)
Start the car open the bleed nipple, put it in drive (I have an auto).
turn the steering full lock to left and then full lock to right , do this a few times, you will hear the pump start to work when the steering is moved each way. After a few turns each way of the steering wheel the air is pumped out and fluid keeps coming through.
Repeat this for the other nipple, till all the air is expelled, then tighten the bleed nipples.
I then took the car to my mitsy dealer and asked him to check if my ayc needed bleeding, he attached it to the mut 11 and proceeded to bleed. He said the AYC was fine, with no air in it, he said if there was air in it I would have heard a grinding noise. I told him that I had bled the system myself with the car up on axle stands, and he said “well done, there was no air in it when we checked.”

Beastlee
24-03-2007, 11:05 AM
Good job, mine is due at the next service and I have been wondering if I could do it myself...that'll be a no then as I'm not sticking it on four axle stands. Hope a local garage has a two post lift or it's going to be a long drive to get the AYC flushed.

Nutter_John
24-03-2007, 11:06 AM
But a long drive would be worth it :D

Beastlee
24-03-2007, 11:16 AM
John, I was hoping to move to York but got messed around. You would have been a feasible distance away then but I couldn't afford the £150 in fuel just getting there and back on top of the servicing costs.
I'm a dab hand at most things but I just don't do flying cars. Rest assured if I'm likely to be visiting family in Liverpool and I know somethign needs doing I'll be booking some WRD work. Especially if there's sausage butties about :)

Louis
24-03-2007, 12:01 PM
yeah, a bit hairy with all wheels moving and the car off the ground, but if you have a four post ramp or know someone with one it will be much simpler. The thing is the car needs to be in drive with the abs sensors workoing to activate the proprtioning and directional control valves.

BUT I am pretty sure that we should be able to pin out correcxtly on the diagnostic connection and basically short out hte pump to activate it and then just turn the steerig to give the ecu the rewuired info>, meaning the car would not have to be in drive. (would be good if this were poss, ) see my other post about changing the rear diff for a link to a page showing how it al works.
It's worth a try, if you don't get it right, pull the fuse and drive to mitsy>!