PDA

View Full Version : Serial Adaptors

mpau009
24-03-2007, 12:30 PM
Okay.. so close yet so far, i finally got the Map2 wired up minus the ignition loom, which i'll stick in in the morning.

The problem i have now is trying to plug the serial cable that comes with the unit into my toshiba satellite laptop.

I dont know much about computer components and the cables, but from what iv heard the usb to 9 pin serial plugs arent as good as a proper plug or something?

So if thats no good, where do i go to get a male 9 pin to male 25 pin convertor or cable assuming such a thing exists? and will this work the same?

What have the others running MAP done to interface? or do most computers accept that type of plug?

I had a look at the dick smith and jaycar websites, but i couldnt find anything.

On the plus side the car is running again. It had me worried for a bit, but it was just an issue of the instruction manual not spelling out whether a wire needed to be bypassed, or just spliced for learning mode. Which meant it was trying to learn, and run the car at the same time/pan

Now i just need to get it to work with the computer so i can have a bash at setting up the boost control:thinking:

Nutter_John
24-03-2007, 12:32 PM
By the looks of it you do not have a serial port on the laptop , most newer laptops don't have em

two options buy a docking station with one on or a usb->serial convertor ( this will be the cheapest option

mpau009
24-03-2007, 12:41 PM
By the looks of it you do not have a serial port on the laptop , most newer laptops don't have em

two options buy a docking station with one on or a usb->serial convertor ( this will be the cheapest option

Ah okay, i just assumed that all the plugs were called serial plugs./duh

It was on the MAP2 forum, but i cant seem to find it now, that someone was complaining of problems, that they thought could be related to the usb convertor thing.

Is there any reason why one of those would cause problems? Or is that what you would go for.

Nutter_John
24-03-2007, 12:43 PM
yeah lots of reason why these can cause issues , but as long as you go for a good quality one you should be fine , in the UK the sell for around 10-30 pounds .

I have one and have never had any issues , but i'm gready as i also have a docking station so i could have two serial ports .

Brad works in a comp shop he may be able to point you in the right direction or even sell ya one

mpau009
24-03-2007, 12:59 PM
yeah lots of reason why these can cause issues , but as long as you go for a good quality one you should be fine , in the UK the sell for around 10-30 pounds .

I have one and have never had any issues , but i'm gready as i also have a docking station so i could have two serial ports .

Brad works in a comp shop he may be able to point you in the right direction or even sell ya one

Thanks for that:2thumbsup I might as well go for the easier USB option first. Now i just have to wait for Brad to wake up:inquisiti

Paul C
24-03-2007, 01:40 PM
i got mine from maplins for £12 seems to do job with no problems

Gowf
24-03-2007, 03:05 PM
Same here, got one one a while ago off the internet for about £10ish. Never had a problem with it using the MAP2 or a dyno plus

bradc
24-03-2007, 09:28 PM
Mike, yeah I can get one for you, I'll look on monday for you. I personally don't like them that much, some software just won't work with them, while other software works fine.

BTW, the blue 15pin is the monitor output, and the black 25pin is a parallel port used for old printers.

mpau009
24-03-2007, 10:10 PM
Mike, yeah I can get one for you, I'll look on monday for you. I personally don't like them that much, some software just won't work with them, while other software works fine.

BTW, the blue 15pin is the monitor output, and the black 25pin is a parallel port used for old printers.

That would be great:2thumbsup

bradc
24-03-2007, 10:15 PM
Also whats your email addy, I've got an excel chart for you

mpau009
24-03-2007, 10:28 PM
Also whats your email addy, I've got an excel chart for you

mpau009@gmail.com

What sort of chart is this then?:inquisiti