PDA

View Full Version : vented disks or not so vented anymore....

Davezj
25-03-2007, 04:12 PM
Hi guys,

I have swapped my wheels over front to back which should be done every 3000 miles or so and found the following.

The vent holes in the disk were almost completly blocked with rust from the disk. this will stop the cooling effect of the holes. i used a screw driver to poke down the holes and this removed all flaking rust. Job done.

This is not a problem as all disks rust and flake, you just need to ckeck for this blockage when ever you have the wheels off, or brakes might cook quicker than expected.

there are disks out there which have coated surfaces like zinc to avoild this issue which don't rust. but for all us with the standard disks, it work checking every now and then.

Cheer Dave

richy rich
26-03-2007, 08:22 AM
Fill the holes and groves with brake dust and that will stop them rusting as well. /rally /haz

So keirens will rust away to nothing /haz

Kieran
26-03-2007, 10:38 AM
So keirens will rust away to nothing /haz

/grr /grr

How very dare you! My discs won't rust - they have a thick layer of polish on them!

richy rich
26-03-2007, 03:23 PM
/grr /grr

How very dare you! My discs won't rust - they have a thick layer of polish on them!
/haz

RugbyPete
26-03-2007, 05:35 PM
I scrubbed mine today also. To make sure they done rust I hammerited the whole disc, should be fine, looks cool too

jking!

WildCards
26-03-2007, 09:01 PM
Joking you may be Pete, but my Dad actually did Hammerite his discs before they went on. Everything but the braking surface got a healthy layer of paint to protect it against corrosion. Seems to be working a treat.

Davezj
26-03-2007, 10:13 PM
Thats not a bad idea