PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard of this , rumour or true

L6
26-03-2007, 02:45 PM
It may have been discussed before , so if it has please correct me /pan ....But

Has any one else heard about the fact that on "average speed" scamera traps

(These are quite often now used around road works such as the one on the london end of the M3 and the M1 widening road works)..............But

I have been told by a few people that if you change lanes while going through the timed sections that the system looses you and you don't get caught. So if you enter on the right hand lane and pull into the left lane as you exit / go through the next set you would be ok ???

Due to the fact that camera 1 does lane 1 in and out, and camera 2 does lane 2 and never the twain shall meet, two cameras two servers two data bases.
I could belive this is fact but are they cleverer than that ???

Alongside this, there is also talk of if you go through the M25 Gantry cameras at an angle ie crossing lanes as you pass under the camera, this voids the ticket because it puts out there calc's due to crossing over the speed refference white tags on the floor at an angle and not straight.
Along with all these gantrys have "stay in lane" signs all over the place which could validate the reasoning for the signs ??

Any of this True??????

Your comments please..........:inquisiti :inquisiti

Nutter_John
26-03-2007, 02:53 PM
Yes you are correct but not 100%

The systems can handle cars changing lanes , but as yet the system has not been certified to be fool proof , as such the goverment are unable to enforce lane changing speed tickets at the minute . But expect this to change very soon as they are tring to for it thru asap .

As an example there was a piece about this on news.bbc.co.uk a few months back , i was driving thru the M1 roadworks and had never seen so many police pulling people for lane changing in the roadworks ( they used some excuses about try to avoid being cuaght for speeding etc )

L6
26-03-2007, 03:02 PM
Mmmmm Very interesting

It does'nt really affect me though....... due to the fact I never go over 70Mph.......:inquisiti :thinking: :evilgrin:

Throbbe
26-03-2007, 03:50 PM
The systems can handle cars changing lanes , but as yet the system has not been certified to be fool proof , as such the goverment are unable to enforce lane changing speed tickets at the minute . But expect this to change very soon as they are tring to for it thru asap .

On the A14 4 sets of cameras are being installed in each direction, so you wont be sure which two sets are being paired. For example, you go through the first set in lane 1, second in lane 2, back to lane 1 for set 3 and lane 2 for set 4. If 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 are being compared, you'll get done (if you're speeding).

Roadworks are one of the areas where I rarely speed. Having spent a few years on construction sites myself I know it can be pretty scary working 4 foot away from live traffic. Anyone who has changed a tyre on a motorway will know what I mean.

L6
26-03-2007, 04:22 PM
Roadworks are one of the areas where I rarely speed. Having spent a few years on construction sites myself I know it can be pretty scary working 4 foot away from live traffic. Anyone who has changed a tyre on a motorway will know what I mean.

I do agree with scameras @ roadworks when the works are ongoing to protect all concerned, but I think with the use of "over head message boards" when road works are not in operation as for holiday periods and Sundays the cameras should be switched off and the OHMB's should reflect this and allow the national speed limit to apply during these times as to increase traffic flow etc.

These cameras seem to be @ the majority of sites envolved with long term road works. I dont know of any normal stretches of road with them on. but if they make plenty of money I am sure we will see a lot more of them......

Kieran
26-03-2007, 06:03 PM

Derek and I did an emergency repair to one of his brembos on the M1 hard shoulder.... Oh yes, sticking your head under a wheelarch whilst a 38 ton lorry howls past about 3 foot away makes you pap your pants! /help

bradc
26-03-2007, 07:41 PM
Whats worse in NZ is that you will drive through a 30kmh roadworks sign, drive for 1km and give up when you don't see a single traffic cone, worker, truck, or any other sign, so you just ignore it and speed up. Sometimes they forget about the roadworks end sign as well. As a result (about 50% of roadworks are like this) people largely ignore the 30kmh signs.

l11king
26-03-2007, 08:07 PM
On the A77 from Just Before Prestwick for about 35-40 miles towards Stranrear there is average speed cameras. Thats a boring journey it is single carriage way for most of it

ANTHONY
26-03-2007, 08:10 PM
Mr clarkson had the best idea on top gear the other week............go as fast as you like but stop for a smoke 1/2 way

l11king
26-03-2007, 08:13 PM
cost you a fortune on fags the amont of cameras on most of the roadworks