PDA

View Full Version : Clunking - Driveshafts?

Beastlee
27-03-2007, 09:00 PM
Got the car up on a ramp today and still couldn't find anything that would make the low speed clunk and knocking on braking. we looked over everything but the only thing that was suspicious was the amount of play in the offside(driver's) driveshaft. By grabbing it and shaking there was reasonable amount of play but my wife claims the noise wasn't present as we did it.

The clunk/rattle apeears in the following cases:

1. Travelling over uneven ground and low speed.
2. Whilst applying or releasing brakes in reverse. Doesn't happen in drive though.
3. When on full right lock and applying brakes at low speed.

I've tried to check all nuts and bolts on the subframe and I can't find anything wrong with the brakes either.
Can anyone help at all with this as it is the one thing driving me mad with the car.

Gowf
04-04-2007, 10:27 PM
Was the play in the shaft torsional or lateral? There should be play in and out so to speak, but none at all if you try to twist it.

tig202
04-04-2007, 11:34 PM
Beast bro,

Hoping these answers are good for you!

1. Travelling over uneven ground and low speed.

This sounds like a suspension fault and I would be checking upper/ lower balljoints, anti roll bar links/ bushes/ roll bar and for weak shock absorber valves. The whole design of the multilink front suspension gives loads of scope for items to wear out so give every thing a good look!

2. Whilst applying or releasing brakes in reverse. Doesn't happen in drive though.
3. When on full right lock and applying brakes at low speed.

If your suspension fault is quite bad then these faults can appear but I would reccomend checking your brake pads for movement under slow braking as these can cause the above noises.

Not many cures for the above apart from replacement parts:inquisiti

Kenneth
04-04-2007, 11:41 PM
I used to have a Galant VR-G some years ago.

It developed a clunking in the right front somewhere. It was heard under similar conditions to yours.

Anyway, mechanic couldn't find what it was and said not to worry about it. I suspect it could have been a engine/transmission mount or something with a bushing in it.

If your noise is similar, its been reported many times though I am not sure if anyone has found the exact cause.

I think my VR-4 had it for a while too, but then it went away... So could be suspension related as I used to play with that a lot :P I guess one thing you could do is strip off the suspension, clean and lube it and then put it back together nice and securely. Make sure the top nut on your shocks is done up tight too. (the bit that sticks up out of the middle of the top hat)

Beastlee
05-04-2007, 01:52 PM
Guys,

I have checked and double checked all aspects of the suspension. Rumor has it it could be the track rod itself but I'm yet to find ime to investigate.
I checked the pads and it's definitely not them either.
Will do more investigation next week as I will be off work.
Regards
Lee

l11king
05-04-2007, 10:52 PM
I had the same problem with a BMW the other day and it was the pads moving up and down with the disc as if it was too small for the carrier it took me ages to find it

dickytim
06-04-2007, 04:47 AM
my car was doing something similar, finally got around to taking it into the mechanic and the niose was gone, the only thing I could think of was that when I caned the ass off it when leaving Brad's driveway a few weeks earlier something settled back in, the noise is now gone, the mechanic did find that a tie rod end was warn, the one I had replaced 500-1000km earlier, and a steering rack boot was worn but nothing else.

Kenneth
06-04-2007, 11:29 PM
my car was doing something similar, finally got around to taking it into the mechanic and the niose was gone, the only thing I could think of was that when I caned the ass off it when leaving Brad's driveway a few weeks earlier something settled back in, the noise is now gone, the mechanic did find that a tie rod end was warn, the one I had replaced 500-1000km earlier, and a steering rack boot was worn but nothing else.

actually... now that you mention it, my clunk may have gone after I changed the inner rack end