PDA

View Full Version : ATf in engine to clean it?

ritch_w
28-03-2007, 09:54 AM
Anyone ever heard of this? found it snooping on a Merc forum, where a merc techie recommended putting some atf in the engine for 2 - 300 miles prior to a service to "clean out" the internals. seems to be quite common practice in merc circles :speechles :inquisiti

Kieran
28-03-2007, 10:48 AM
Hmmm - not heard of that in the engine.... But heard it with filling the fuel filter on Diesel engines when changing them - crank the fecker over on the ATF and it supposedly blows the crap out the injectors.

WildCards
28-03-2007, 10:57 AM
Surely if you use good oil and good fuel that'll clean the engine anyway. And why not use injector cleaner to clean the injectors?

Davezj
28-03-2007, 01:48 PM
if you use an engine flush check out the the content in household products web site (can't remember the URL) most of them are 95-99% kerosine (aero fuel, home heating fuel/oil).

I am not suggesting you do the following, but i have used desiel and petrol in previous cars of mine with no ill effects. just a very clean engine. i put the same quantity as the off the shelf flushes and run it for a few minutes. then flush out with crap oil 20W50 £5 for 5L run it for 10min (or take it for a run)then drain and use the good stuff.

You should see the crap that comes out of the drain plug. just let it drain for a while.

It is up to you.

ralliart-type-s
28-03-2007, 05:34 PM
I have done similar, run engine with diesel in oil, much the same way as engine flush. Drop the oul and then just pour a gallon of diesel straight through the engine, fill with cheap multigrade, run for a day or 2 and then drop it out and put ya good stuff in!! works a treat.

pitslayer
28-03-2007, 06:06 PM
lol, what about cleaning out throttle bodys.......ive had an issue starting my diesel toledo recently, took the air intake off, and the throttle body is just full of wet tar lol(oil and dirt) cant even see the butterflys, the cars never been serviced in all its all life, ive got a bottle of amsoil engine flush, but im weary of putting it in yet dont want it to start knocking, which some engine flushes do, do clean all the crap out, then it starts making funny noises lol