PDA

View Full Version : TD04's Help!

Gowf
28-03-2007, 06:50 PM
I have a nice shiny pair of TD04's sitting waiting to be fitted. I think waiting may me the opperative word there!
The obvious problem, is that they are not a direct bolt on as everyone knows, and so the major modifactions required to fit them are going to take place soon.

Now... the problem i have is that at present i still need to use the car so cant have it sitting in bits while i mess about getting the bits i need delivered or fabricated.

I have most things, or will have as soon as mr customs man gets his finger out, sitting here for the conversion. But the main issue im having is i suppose the most fundamental. Fitting the things on a standard manifold is going to require slight modification to the turbos, along with other bits and bobs.

Now this is where i am asking for some assistance. Would anybody have a set of manifolds and turbos sitting around that they dont need at the moment?
Thing is i am looking to have custom manifolds and downpipes made, but if i need to use the car cant take the standard off to use as a template to create the new. And with a set off the car, would be able to offer everything up, so everything is done properly.

So if anyone is willing to loan me a pair of manifolds and turbos, i would be incredibly grateful.
If not... as they say money talks, and im sure we could come to a sensible arrangement.

Would be so much easier if i had a spare engine, but cant justify that expense just yet, even though it would probably end up as an investment when i become too power mad!:evil2:

Wodjno
28-03-2007, 06:53 PM
I have a nice shiny pair of TD04's sitting waiting to be fitted. I think waiting may me the opperative word there!
The obvious problem, is that they are not a direct bolt on as everyone knows, and so the major modifactions required to fit them are going to take place soon.

Now... the problem i have is that at present i still need to use the car so cant have it sitting in bits while i mess about getting the bits i need delivered or fabricated.

I have most things, or will have as soon as mr customs man gets his finger out, sitting here for the conversion. But the main issue im having is i suppose the most fundamental. Fitting the things on a standard manifold is going to require slight modification to the turbos, along with other bits and bobs.

Now this is where i am asking for some assistance. Would anybody have a set of manifolds and turbos sitting around that they dont need at the moment?
Thing is i am looking to have custom manifolds and downpipes made, but if i need to use the car cant take the standard off to use as a template to create the new. And with a set off the car, would be able to offer everything up, so everything is done properly.

So if anyone is willing to loan me a pair of manifolds and turbos, i would be incredibly grateful.
If not... as they say money talks, and im sure we could come to a sensible arrangement.

Would be so much easier if i had a spare engine, but cant justify that expense just yet, even though it would probably end up as an investment when i become too power mad!:evil2:

I have a set of manifolds, but need them for exactly the same reason :scholar: Sorry..

Try Mo, he'll probably be able to help you !!

Nutter_John
28-03-2007, 07:39 PM
Or WRD could assist by making the mainfoldsfrom nice new steel rather than cast ones .

Give me a shout if you want us to help

Cheers John

Gowf
28-03-2007, 09:46 PM
Or WRD could assist by making the mainfoldsfrom nice new steel rather than cast ones .

Give me a shout if you want us to help

Cheers John

That sounds like a plausable plan John. PM on the way.

AllBeItMine
28-03-2007, 11:51 PM
tell you right now mate.

using the existing manifolds will give you more problems down the track.

the cheap option is to build new manifolds now so the turbos sit in the right place.

this way you wont have to modify engine mounts, firewalls - move powersteering, clutch and fuel lines and completely re-do all your intake and exhaust plumbing.

just the voice of experience.

paying somebody a few $100 quid to custom make the manifolds would definitely be my suggestion

Kieran
29-03-2007, 12:00 AM
Hmmm! What spec are the TD04s? What size is the compressor?

Wodjno
29-03-2007, 01:01 AM
Hmmm! What spec are the TD04s? What size is the compressor?

There are many, many variations of TD04 /yes

bradc
29-03-2007, 08:21 AM
The ones Andy has on his car with the custom manifolds are TD04-13's, not sure on the more exact details though. Even small TD04-9b's would be a big improvement over our turbos

Gowf
29-03-2007, 08:35 AM
They are 13G's, sorry should have mentioned earlier

Gowf
29-03-2007, 08:39 AM
tell you right now mate.

the cheap option is to build new manifolds now so the turbos sit in the right place.

this way you wont have to modify engine mounts, firewalls - move powersteering, clutch and fuel lines and completely re-do all your intake and exhaust plumbing.

paying somebody a few $100 quid to custom make the manifolds would definitely be my suggestion

Cheers for the advice, its always handy to hear from someone who has already taken the step and experienced all the pain!

I am definately thinking about custom manifolds. Looks like it may be the old tale of WRD to the rescue yet again!:2thumbsup

valmes
29-03-2007, 09:57 AM
tell you right now mate.

I kept silent before, but you go well over the edge making statments like this. /pan :deal2: /Nuuu

You have to modify only front engine mount.
Powersteering, clutch, fuel line? What does it have to do with using stock manifolds?

Exhaust part is redone after the turbos and you can even opt to keep your stock downpipe (that's what I did for a long time) and of course all other exhaust parts stay the same. Intake can be cheaplly made out of used GTO/3000GT intake rubber pipes. Two clamps and silicone joiners are used to connect compressor outlets to stock Y pipe.

One more guy in my area fitted TD04L-13T recently. Took him one month total... since we knew all thats involved in the process.

Even if I also think that going with a pair of custom exhaust manifolds is a proper way of mounting new turbos, IMO using stock manifolds is not as difficult as you making it look! :inquisiti

just the voice of experience. /toycar /Wyhy

Eurospec
29-03-2007, 10:05 AM
Okay so you are going to have coolant feed and drain and oil feed and drain. You might have to modify the existing lines if the relative positions of the ports have moved. clocking the turbos may help you gain the space you need and simplify the plumbing required.

EG, on the front turbo, as you hold it to the car you will see the compressor output is now pointing down, and you need it to point up. Clocking it will get you round that, but not round the fact that the fitting on the end of the I/C pipe is different. A bit of samco, some mikalor clamps and some pipe bends from tube tec (opposite power engineering) will sort that out for you.

If you need to gain space at the front, spal or flexalite fans will help you gain a little. You might even go with push fans if they will fit between the rad and the air con rad.

Cheers,

Ben.

Gowf
29-03-2007, 11:21 AM
Thanks for all the advice and i'm sorry about any controversy that i have caused!
Think i will be having custom manifolds made up as it will just make life easier in the end. As for everything else, it will all be in hand, and the only thing that i havent got hold of are the slimline/push fans as i havent obviously measured everything up to do so.
Thankyou all for such a quick responce and sound advice.

And Ben... i'l no doubt be in touch soon with regards the summer and whatnot, and i've still not got round to fitting this ECU, but will do it before the drive north next week so as to have a fairly complete base map by the time i return.

AllBeItMine
29-03-2007, 12:57 PM
I kept silent before, but you go well over the edge making statments like this. /Grrr

I made a suggestion dude - chill out.

I tried it your way and couldn't get the engine back in the car afterwards. And modifying engine mounts would have given me serious wof issues down the track.

fair enough to have two different approaches - i was just telling him mine. you are of course welcome to tell him yours.

valmes
29-03-2007, 01:28 PM
[QUOTE=AllBeItMine]I made a suggestion dude - chill out.
QUOTE]

Ooopps, sorry, I didn't mean to put that face in... Here, it supposed to sound like this:

"I kept silent before, but you go well over the edge making statments like this. :iloveyou:"

Oppps, wrong again...?? :inquisiti :)

Well, this might work better:

"I kept silent before, but you go well over the edge making statments like this. /pan "

In any case it wasn't agressive in any way...

valmes
29-03-2007, 01:34 PM
Yeah... "Smiles can heal and smiles can kill" at this day and age ;)

valmes
29-03-2007, 01:54 PM
I tried it your way and couldn't get the engine back in the car afterwards. And modifying engine mounts would have given me serious wof issues down the track.

Last time I've changed turbos on my car without even removing an engine... just had to get that "5 speed" thing out of the way. So I don't really know why you couldn't get it back into the car...

... and down the page is "another" engine I was talking about in my previous post, with TD04 already fitted to stock manifolds (it's in that car right now, that was in video beating on BMW M6). It is not my engine so don't ask me why it's painted that way :) ...