PDA

View Full Version : Tempted by kit cars?

RugbyPete
29-03-2007, 10:04 AM
I watched the whole 'Cobra building' by a farily newbie mechanic on 'A car is born' last week. But it got me thinking about future motoring ventures. His general outlook was, if you can build flat pack furniture, you can build a kit car

I could see me making something smaller and more manageable like a LoCost/seven copy

Has anyone else dabbled with the thought of building a LoCost or kit car in their garage?

MPBVr4
29-03-2007, 10:34 AM
Yep toyed with a "7" build and Cobra build but time constraints running a business, kids etc hav't allowed. Got a project already sitting in the garage, to rebuild a 1966 Mini Cooper "S", already 10 years in and not started yet./pan

wrdmotorsport
29-03-2007, 10:38 AM
Yes we are looking at starting building and reselling in the next couple of years not everyone wants to build themselves.

thehedgepig
29-03-2007, 10:50 AM
I helped build a avon tiger with a gsxr 1000 engine last year. Long hours, skinned knuckles the lot!!!

It was fun to build but not to SVA... it had to go back several times!

Its definately not flat pack furniture territory, unless you have the chassis built for you.

I have to go out now but if you want to know any more PM me....

RugbyPete
29-03-2007, 10:50 AM
What would be a good idea is if someone built them from bits you give them, that would be awsome. So you could give them £2k of cleaned salvaged parts, a k of building money and away you go... I specced up a new kit and its about £15k+ depending on what you get, but some stuff is way overpriced

Either that or sell 'LoCost' chasis so others can bolt on the other bits and bobs but dont have to get 'jiggy' with the welding equipment... sorry that was terrible

More chance of passing SVA if you had the chasis done properly I think

Wouter
29-03-2007, 12:59 PM
Look, if those three idiots from TopGear can do it, then anyone can!

I have always fancied building a Cobra, one day I will find the time and money to do it!

Nutter_John
29-03-2007, 01:18 PM
What about the Skill needed to do it :p

Pete if you think a car can be made for 1k then good luck as it only equates to around 33hr's of labour , and thats at cheap rates .

Nick VR4
29-03-2007, 01:35 PM
http://www.caterham.co.uk/assets/html/showroom/Caterham%20Starter%20Pack.pdf

RugbyPete
29-03-2007, 01:38 PM
I think the car is born guy did it in 30 hours....

I think he was lying though.. maybe it was 30 days!

And yeah, I forgot the top gear guys made one.... however, as with everything on top gear it is SO staged. You ant have challenges finishing that close EVERY time, sorry but I dont believe it.

And that kit woulda been a death trap! Let alone make sva....

Donar car loom and wiring etc. was all masked over too

RugbyPete
29-03-2007, 01:46 PM
Look, if those three idiots from TopGear can do it, then anyone can!

I have always fancied building a Cobra, one day I will find the time and money to do it!

No time like the present :p

All about priorities ;)

stuartturbo
29-03-2007, 02:02 PM
I did look at the Tiger and a car called the 2B by robinhood that seemed about the cheapest on the market for me at the time it was a space issue now it's money and space LOL

RugbyPete
29-03-2007, 02:31 PM
Get a LoCost chasis welded properly, budget properly for it.

Then its downhill from there on

WildCards
29-03-2007, 04:52 PM
I was reading about a Van Diemen kit car this month that you can buy and build for something like £5000. I'm sure it said it was an old Ford engine, but not a Pinto and it produced in the region of 250bhp per tonne... which would be tasty.

I'll dig out the article when I get home.

Kieran
29-03-2007, 04:55 PM
Did I mention I've got a nice 1976 Colt Galant saloon shell going for FREE if someome wants a shell to drop a bonkers engine into? Just think - It only weighed about 980kg in full road trim... Strip it out, add a nice EVO engine, and.... /rally /rally :afro:

You know you want to! :deal2:

thehedgepig
29-03-2007, 08:35 PM
Just one nice story from the build....

Told the guys from WRD when I was down there and they laughed !!

We used a bike engine and a QUAIF box to invert the drive from the output shaft to engage reverse... we also cut a couple of corners purely for cost reasons and linked the gear shifter (A piece of 3/4 inch ally pipe we had lying around!) directly onto the gear selector shaft to make a sequential shift !

Fairly cool we thought...

HOWEVER!

It now has six forward and six reverse gears !!!

Our resident mathamatician did some calculations and reckons it should be good for about 120MPH in reverse.... We just haven't found anyone brave enough to try it yet!

WildCards
29-03-2007, 09:03 PM
Found the article I was talking about but it doesn't give any more info than I previously said. Van Miemen Multisport voted budget track car of the year by Circuit Driver magazine, although it isn't road legal.

CANDEE
29-03-2007, 09:18 PM
Ive been eyeing up making a Lotus 7 replica with a Suzuki Hayabusa motor in it for classic racing.. /rally

L6
29-03-2007, 09:40 PM
Weird

Well Fancy that

I have / am spending all my time lookin @ a locost / westfield Mac1 caterham type track car @ the Mo and have been toying with the idea of when I can raise 5K for the car is to look into stickin an evo block into it, so I can still come to all the club meets with a car still a bit Mitsi, and then take it on track with out worrying about righting off my daily drive.

I did look for about 30sec into a 6A13 but due to the engine bay of a kit car not being 4ft wide x 4ft deep that went out the window....

But I reckon a lowcost/caterham chassis n evo block could be very fun if at all possible ?????

g6acb
29-03-2007, 09:49 PM
Blagged a lift to Tesco this lunchtime in on of our customers toys.... he runs an estate agents and has a fleet of 2 seater Smarts logo'd up - his one has a Hiyabusa engine thrown in, over 10k revs turns your spine to jelly :thumbsup:

CANDEE
29-03-2007, 09:56 PM
Ive been talking to one of my mates who builds race/street cars and he doesnt see a prob putting a 4G63 into a lotus replica.. The turbo would have to hang out on side but it would work... :)

Im interested in running the bike engine as ill have 6 speed sequential and will only have to use the clutch for stopping and starting.. :) /rally

CANDEE
29-03-2007, 09:56 PM
Just one nice story from the build....

Told the guys from WRD when I was down there and they laughed !!

We used a bike engine and a QUAIF box to invert the drive from the output shaft to engage reverse... we also cut a couple of corners purely for cost reasons and linked the gear shifter (A piece of 3/4 inch ally pipe we had lying around!) directly onto the gear selector shaft to make a sequential shift !

Fairly cool we thought...

HOWEVER!

It now has six forward and six reverse gears !!!

Our resident mathamatician did some calculations and reckons it should be good for about 120MPH in reverse.... We just haven't found anyone brave enough to try it yet!

Is the QUAIF box you mentioned a reverser box?

zentac
29-03-2007, 09:57 PM
yep, were buying a house with plenty of garage space so a kit car is on the cards.... but then again the FTO is more or less a kit car everything except the shell has changed.

stuartturbo
30-03-2007, 08:54 AM
DAX do fit a cosworth into a lotus style car but expensive

zentac
30-03-2007, 08:58 AM
Libbys Dad does "Jester" kit cars, was thinking about a VR4 engine into one of those.

L6
30-03-2007, 09:15 AM
is it like this one ?

zentac
30-03-2007, 09:26 AM
yes, its his company

L6
30-03-2007, 09:38 AM
Looks like a good size engine bay, how about a 4WD conversion...........

that would be a serious drag contender then, no weight and loads of power and traction.....................

Nutter_John
30-03-2007, 10:24 AM
Hmm 4g63 installed in one of them wound be unreal

WildCards
30-03-2007, 11:35 AM
4wd would weigh too much, any benefits in traction would be undone by the extra weight the car would have. Keep it simple, tried and tested. Low, light, front engine rear wheel drive.

I reckon an S2000 engine and G/B would be fantastic. 240bhp, RWD configuration and a 6 speed box for decent ratios, they don't weigh much either being all aluminium.

Nutter_John
30-03-2007, 12:23 PM
Your missing the point Steve , 4g63 configured as RWD and pusihng 500+

WildCards
30-03-2007, 12:29 PM
Oops, I was referring to L6's post but forgot to quote. Plugging a 4G63 directly into the rear wheels would be fun with a capital 'F'. Dooooooooooooooooooo Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

L6
30-03-2007, 01:22 PM
That would be awwwsome

I would like to stick with a chassis along the lines of the caterham / westfield and RWD,

I've seen a few 3.9ltr v8's in the tiny chassis, the whole car must shake and twitch as it ticks over ... LOL

let alone the acceleration and speed .....

WildCards
30-03-2007, 01:50 PM
Caterham 7 CSR Superlight. 260bhp, 550kgs, 472bhp per tonne!

Or, buy a starter kit (http://www.caterham.co.uk/assets/html/showroom/Caterham%20Starter%20Pack.pdf) from £4964.13 inc VAT.

Mart
30-03-2007, 01:58 PM
I've got a 50% built Tiger Supercat in the garage!!

Anyone wana help build it with me, cos i want it ready for the summer. There's money in it!!

Anywho, been a lover of kit cars for year and have about 50 kit car magazine knocking about if anyone wants any info.

Yes building a Caterham is quite easy as its like a giant mechano set, but you pay for the priveledge. Whereas mine has taken a tiny bit of chopping and welding, not to mention getting things in the right place before dirlling holes, its not just a bolt together job. But once i've spent my £6000 i should have a car with 300bhp per tonne, which is nice.

If you're thinking lotus 7, definalety look at Tiger, when i was looking at them i considered DAX, locost, robin hood etc, but Tiger definatle came out best.

I could talk all day about kit cars, just wish i had the time and patients to finish mine!

Martin

Mart
30-03-2007, 02:00 PM
oh yeah and you could built a bike engined one, with mostly carbon fibre bodywork for £12k.

see here: http://www.tigerracing.com/cars/tiger-cars.php

L6
30-03-2007, 02:07 PM
Yep lots of choices, wildcards

I checked all the optionial extras for the CSR and there are loads,

The standard kit is a maybe or to buy a pre built oldie and pull it to bits and fit a 4G63

could be loads a fun, trouble is I need to pull down my old shed a build my new garage first. Which I am doing this year so hopfully next year I can look into it properly.

I've talked my missus into leting me have a third of our back garden, so thats one bit out the way.....LOL

stuey
30-03-2007, 03:36 PM
That would be awwwsome

I would like to stick with a chassis along the lines of the caterham / westfield and RWD,

I've seen a few 3.9ltr v8's in the tiny chassis, the whole car must shake and twitch as it ticks over ... LOL

let alone the acceleration and speed .....

there's always this... http://www.chevroletwestfield.co.uk/

RugbyPete
31-03-2007, 09:02 AM
Yeah, motorbike engines look very favourable.... p;enty about (they crash a lot dont they?!) and the power to CC to space ratio is brilliant. Not too heavy, plenty of fun revs, I'd love a Seven style with a motorbike engine
Had dreams of building one last night, I'll have to set about it now the garage is cleared out by my efforts! :D