PDA

View Full Version : Turbo replacement

Paul C
31-03-2007, 03:33 PM
Where would be the best place to get replacement turbo's for vr4.I am looking for direct replacement,maybe a hybrid, but dont know where is best to get them and what size i should be going for.Although i am an enthusiastic modifier i dont really want to go down the route of modifying pipe work or manifolds just after some newer/better quality turbo's.

Thanks

paul C

Davezj
31-03-2007, 04:21 PM
Please dont take what i am saying as a difinitive answer just some thoughts on the subject.

I think you will be hard pressed to find bigger better turbo that fit in the same place a TD03 will fit. if it is a straight replacement turbo TD03 for TD03, Zedy1 (Mo) is a good bet. I am sure you will have to start modifying tubing and placement. If it was that easy evrybody would be doing it.

i wish you luck in your quest and keep us posted.

Dave

Paul C
31-03-2007, 04:26 PM
after direct replacement if used i will get rebuilt and modified best i can. not looking to modify manifolds or piping.

Are our turbo's td03-7g?

Thanks

Paul

Gowf
31-03-2007, 04:34 PM
Well Paul, Ive looked into it and thought along the same lines of an easy route to bigger turbos. However, the TD03's are just too small, so it all depends on what sort of power you are after. You can have the blades clipped on the TD03's, but i dont know if there is much point.

I have gone for TD04 13G's. There are off a GTO, although the 9B's are far more common. Unfortunately, there are certainly not a direct fit.

I stated a discussion myself the other day, with regards to manifolds, because life would be easier with a custom set, but you can fit them on standard, with a bit of modification and clocking the turbos.

As i havent actualy fitted mine yet, dont take what i say as gospel, as i am going down the custom manifold route, but speak to Valmes as he has definately done it on standard manifolds.

The main issue is with space. If using standard manifolds, the oil filter and the front engine mount get in the way. There isnt much room then for the standard Rad fan, and there may be a small modification to the bulkhead required for the rear one.

I'm fairly convinced that you would need some custom downpipes aswell, but having said that, Valmes has said that you can do it with standard.

There will be some pipework modifications to do the charge air pipes but its nothing major

Oil and water lines would idealy be custom made, but not a big issue.

So i suppose it all depends on what you want out of it, as there isnt really just a bolt on modication you can do.

Thats my opinion anyway, and we'l see just how right i am in a month or two!

Davezj
31-03-2007, 04:35 PM
Not sure, but Zedy1 will know. PM him or use galant spares it is him also.

Gowf
31-03-2007, 04:36 PM
as far as im aware the standard are TD03 8G's.

Paul C
31-03-2007, 06:44 PM
i'm trying to see if a hybrid can be made out of the standard turbo's. i've noticed slight oil in intercooler pipes althought the car isnt smoking i am preparing to replace in the event that the seals might go. so really just looking to get new turbo's,old turbo's refurbished and modified.

Paul C
31-03-2007, 07:08 PM
Found this,http://www.midlandturbo.com/faultfinding.php#boostlow,seems quite interesting for fault finding.

Gowf
31-03-2007, 07:52 PM
i'm trying to see if a hybrid can be made out of the standard turbo's. i've noticed slight oil in intercooler pipes althought the car isnt smoking i am preparing to replace in the event that the seals might go. so really just looking to get new turbo's,old turbo's refurbished and modified.

I also had a tiny amount of oil in the pipes when i changed the intercooler, which is what made me think. If i am going to be upping the boost, then what is the point in running on the limits of the td03's when they are just going to be heating the air at 14ish psi-ish.

I honestly dont think that a small amount of oil in the pipes spells dissaster, but see where your coming from.

But like i said, i have looked into it, as have others, and i dont think that there is really that much can be done to the TD03's. If its just for reliability due to the oil scare, and your happy with the power your producing, then just stick with stock and change them when they blow. Since you dont want the hassle of messing about with pipework, i think thats what i'd do.

Paul C
31-03-2007, 08:57 PM
I also had a tiny amount of oil in the pipes when i changed the intercooler, which is what made me think. If i am going to be upping the boost, then what is the point in running on the limits of the td03's when they are just going to be heating the air at 14ish psi-ish.

I honestly dont think that a small amount of oil in the pipes spells dissaster, but see where your coming from.

But like i said, i have looked into it, as have others, and i dont think that there is really that much can be done to the TD03's. If its just for reliability due to the oil scare, and your happy with the power your producing, then just stick with stock and change them when they blow. Since you dont want the hassle of messing about with pipework, i think thats what i'd do.

exactly, so i may get a pair from zedy1 and see what can be done to improve them.turbo active is local to me so might get them refurbished and uprated if possible

bradc
31-03-2007, 09:24 PM
My turbos have had their turbines clipped, and the compressor housing re-machined, I'm not sure how much extra power they will produce, but I'm not too worried until I get my internals sorted out. I'll let you know how much extra power they give me.

Axeboy
01-04-2007, 08:48 PM
If Mo doesnt have any in stock, i have 4 turbos here that I can release for a cheap price... :)