PDA

View Full Version : Does this point to new discs/pads???

Spirit
05-05-2003, 12:52 AM
Guys

I need some help and advice. Some of you know that we have recently had the gearbox leak on the VR-4 done. While it was there I asked the dealer to check out a wheel wobble I was getting.

They identified a couple of issues with the tyres so a new set of four where fitted and the car delivered back to me.

However, the problem is still there - basically when the car has only been on the road a few minutes all is fine. Once it's on the motorway and I get it up to between 75-85mph I am still getting the wheel wobble INSERT INTO post VALUES (and a bit of judder under heavy braking).

All the tyres are new, the tracking has been checked etc. Would warped discs cause wheel wobble as they get hotter even when the brakes are not being applied ? Could it be anything else, say driveshaft etc ?

I do not have a problem parting with the cash,being the safety conscious man I am INSERT INTO post VALUES (£185 each for Mitsy discs and £50 for pads) but I would hate to spend £500 only to find out the problem is still there.

Any help would be appreciated, and I have read all the bits about VR-4's eating discs.

Pete

Brind
05-05-2003, 01:16 AM
I'd normally say tracking as I've had a nightmare with tracking on other cars which were apparently corrected.

You'd only notice judder from the discs if you were braking.

Maybe your alloy wheels have a slight buckle or something, it wouldn't take much..
Other than that I don't really know.

Spirit
05-05-2003, 01:22 AM
Brind

Thanks mate - if it was just the alloys why would the car be okay when "cold" but the problem gets worse the longer I drive it ? You may be right - just don't know where to go from here :Cry1:

Pete

Brind
05-05-2003, 01:31 AM
Cold or hot wouldn't make any difference to alloy wheels that are buckled..

I certainly wouldn't think it is your brakes.:confused:

Spirit
05-05-2003, 01:34 AM
Yeah thats what I mean mate - how come the car is fine when "cold" but the problem gets worse when it gets "hot/hotter" - would this not count out the alloys as it would always be there if it was just them ?

Pete

BraindG
05-05-2003, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by spirit979
Brind

Thanks mate - if it was just the alloys why would the car be okay when "cold" but the problem gets worse the longer I drive it ? You may be right - just don't know where to go from here :Cry1:

Pete

from past experience id say its the discs, your mitsyship, or any dealer, should be able to tell you they are warped... mine just looked at it and said they were warped... they might have been really bad though

Spirit
05-05-2003, 01:42 AM
Barry

So it IS possible to have wheel wobble with warped discs even when the brakes are NOT being applied ?

Cheers

Pete

Brind
05-05-2003, 01:43 AM
I have a Ford I use for work, and the discs are very warped but it stops fine INSERT INTO post VALUES (although it rattles your bones) so I leave it, the car drives smooth as anything at other times, it's "only" when braking.

I have a mate who's a mechanic and he said he had a customer once who had a wobble coming from some where, after thinking the worst it turned out to be the car had rolled backwards and hit a high curb damaging both rear wheels or tires leaving them with two slight dents which could be felt at high speed..

Spirit
05-05-2003, 01:46 AM
:confused: Looks like I'm gonna have to throw some money at it and see what sticks !

Guess I will try discs/pads first and then consider some new alloys - would they not have spotted any faults with them when the new tyres were put on and balanced ?

Pete

Brind
05-05-2003, 01:51 AM
Probably not as only a small imperfection can be felt.

Roadrunner
05-05-2003, 08:29 AM
Get the steering arms checked as well. I had a slight judder at around the speeds you mentioned and, although not diagnosed, the knuckle joints on the ends of the steering arms were worn enough to be an MOT fail. Got new parts fitted under warranty and the judder has gone. :)

You might be able to feel the effect of warped discs even when not braking, but it would be confirmed when braking - you'd feel the shudder through the brake pedal.

I flat spotted two wheels on my Legacy when I hit a pot hole and bent the inner rims but they still balanced up OK.

Hope you get it fixed soon.

Brian

Spirit
05-05-2003, 10:12 AM
Brian

Thanks for the info mate - I too hope I can get it fixed soon as there is nothing worse than knowing you have a problem thats going to be there after a few minutes driving. Guess I need to book it in again :mad:

Pete

PAUL
07-05-2003, 03:36 PM
The Vr-4 we've got had a similar problem steering wheel wobble once it got warm, replaced the discs and pads problem solved. I can't remember whether it did it whlist not braking. Don't hold me to this but solved the problem on this one.

Good Luck.

Paul Kang

Nick VR4
07-05-2003, 03:50 PM
Remember that even while not braking the pads are in contact with the disc's so will get hot pretty quickly possibly causing judder
I did read that slightly warped discs can be cured by a very hard stomp on the brakes at speed

You might want to go find a big car park and give it a go

BraindG
07-05-2003, 03:53 PM
Remember: one with out security cameras, the security guys might send the bobbies round, if they see a car "messing" around :D

Seriously though Pete, id jsut get them skimmed.. but the carpark thing does sound like a bit of fun..

Spirit
07-05-2003, 11:11 PM
Thanks guys - I made a decision today as follows:

confirmed price of discs and pads with Mitsy and the discs are £185 each and the pads £50 - approx £420 + fitting - so I have decided to get the discs checked first for warping and this is being done Friday. They will also tell me if they can be skimmed - this costs £20 'ish.

Depending on this will determine the next course of action but my wallet has pretty much resigned itself to parting with £500 very soon :Cry1:

Pete

Brind
07-05-2003, 11:33 PM
£500 for something you can hardly see or hear! INSERT INTO post VALUES (save your life though;) )

Does that mean your exhaust mod being postponed?

Can you buy and fit brake discs and pads yourself without effecting the warranty? I've never had a warranty before this car.

Spirit
07-05-2003, 11:42 PM
:Cry1: Yeah exhaust upgrade is on hold until this is sorted - also we are on holiday for 2 weeks from the day after Japfest so need cash for that ! Not so bad though as I will get to see what you boys all have and what they sound/look like etc :D

I would not trust myself to change discs/pads anyhow and would rather pay an expert to get it right - never worth cutting corners with safety I feel.

Pete

Spirit
09-05-2003, 06:44 PM
Good news ! Had all four discs checked today and they are all fine ! Just the pads need replacing in the next 1000 miles or so but I can live with that.

Got the garage to swap the front and rear wheels over to see if that makes any difference to my slight wheel wobble and I am gonna go for a blast up the motorway in a bit - will post how I get on.

Pete

Roadrunner
04-11-2003, 01:57 PM
So how did you get on? Did you get rid of the vibration?

peterernest
04-11-2003, 03:11 PM
Does the wobble become any greater/less when turning either right or left or both right and less?

I would agree that it seems likely your discs are warped.

Spirit
04-11-2003, 07:47 PM
Discs/pads were changed a few months back INSERT INTO post VALUES (posted elsewhere) but did not cure the wobble - turned out a new set of alloys sorted it hence the OZ Superleggeras that set me back £1100 with F1 Eagles