PDA

View Full Version : Introducing myself -Phil -New owner

philipbennett25
08-04-2007, 04:33 PM
Hi all,

Delighted to be one of the lucky people to own a VR4, hope to make a lot of good buddies from clubVR4.

So, heres a little bit of my car history. Passed my test back in 2000; at 18 I (strangely) thought that the Galant 2.5 V6 sport was one of the coolest looking cars on the market, though unatainable for a new driver. A few months later I was driving through Cirencester and saw the Ralliart garage that was based there and all the VR4's parked outside; I was pretty sure that I was gonna buy one of those one day.

At 21 (insurance milestone and 3 years driving) I bought my first galant, a 2.5V6 24v Sport; still loved the looks and it made a really comfortable tourer. Though not quite as quick as I was hoping. I still have my original Galant (though looking to sell -2.5V6 24v <40k, recent cambelt/tyres/new gearbox full beige electric leather, Clim Cont -offers), but went through the volvo range (S40T4 -awesome, S60T5 -bit boring, V70R -Amazing comfort and trim, not as fast as would expect -still got).

So, the other week I see an advert on Autotrader for Galant VR4, trigger mauve, 2001, Ralliart supplied, pretty much original and very sweet. Called up and paid for it over the phone. (Dont worry, I got a deal, + full service, Cambelt and 12 month warranty) -Picked it up last week and havent stopped smiling since. -I got the car that I wanted since I was 18 and its a ripper.

I find that I am gonna have to do something with the brakes, they are a weak point in a very good car and also over the past couple of days I have had an intermittent AYC warning light on -which seems to go away after restarting the car. -So I intend to make full use of the advice in the forums to find the best solutions to these issues.

So thats me, thanks for viewing my first post and looking forward to being a member of club VR4 and getting to know you guys.

Phil
philipbennett25@hotmail.com

ANTHONY
08-04-2007, 04:36 PM
nice to meet you phil/Welcome2 /Welcome try and get down to japfest which is our next big meet and the 1st of the season

BraindG
08-04-2007, 04:52 PM
/Wyhy /Welcome

The Vee
08-04-2007, 04:55 PM
Welcome to the forums and thanks for the intro, one of the best things you can get for your car is full membership - you'll find a wealth of info and facts in there just waiting to be grabbed!! Enjoy the car./Welcome2

peter thomson
08-04-2007, 05:11 PM
Welcome to the club. If its the car I am thinking of it looks great

Nick VR4
08-04-2007, 05:15 PM
/Welcome2 to the forum and congrats on the purchase :D

vr4moose
08-04-2007, 05:19 PM
:pimp2:
Hi all,

Delighted to be one of the lucky people to own a VR4, hope to make a lot of good buddies from clubVR4.

So, heres a little bit of my car history. Passed my test back in 2000; at 18 I (strangely) thought that the Galant 2.5 V6 sport was one of the coolest looking cars on the market, though unatainable for a new driver. A few months later I was driving through Cirencester and saw the Ralliart garage that was based there and all the VR4's parked outside; I was pretty sure that I was gonna buy one of those one day.

At 21 (insurance milestone and 3 years driving) I bought my first galant, a 2.5V6 24v Sport; still loved the looks and it made a really comfortable tourer. Though not quite as quick as I was hoping. I still have my original Galant (though looking to sell -2.5V6 24v <40k, recent cambelt/tyres/new gearbox full beige electric leather, Clim Cont -offers), but went through the volvo range (S40T4 -awesome, S60T5 -bit boring, V70R -Amazing comfort and trim, not as fast as would expect -still got).

So, the other week I see an advert on Autotrader for Galant VR4, trigger mauve, 2001, Ralliart supplied, pretty much original and very sweet. Called up and paid for it over the phone. (Dont worry, I got a deal, + full service, Cambelt and 12 month warranty) -Picked it up last week and havent stopped smiling since. -I got the car that I wanted since I was 18 and its a ripper.

I find that I am gonna have to do something with the brakes, they are a weak point in a very good car and also over the past couple of days I have had an intermittent AYC warning light on -which seems to go away after restarting the car. -So I intend to make full use of the advice in the forums to find the best solutions to these issues.

So thats me, thanks for viewing my first post and looking forward to being a member of club VR4 and getting to know you guys.

Phil
philipbennett25@hotmail.com pleased to meet you, this site offers great advice and fun./rally

bernmc
08-04-2007, 05:30 PM
mmm... you have the same name as a certain BTCC Rookie of the year a few years back :inquisiti

He looked a bit older than you the last time I saw him though... ;)

Spirit
08-04-2007, 05:35 PM
Hi and welcome Phil......looks like we have received a membership application from you but no payment....?

KHK
08-04-2007, 05:44 PM
Phil

love to hear your story and finally get your dream car
congratulation

TAR
08-04-2007, 07:00 PM
Another convert. Welcome to the club. Everyone is very friendly so don't be afraid to ask questions. /Welcome

bradc
08-04-2007, 08:25 PM
Thats a nice story :) I did something similar, bought my black Legnum first, then moved up to a VR-4 when I could afford it (but at 20 my insurance didn't like it at all!)

For the AYC warning light, I would say that because it turns on and off after you restart the car, it is probably a pressure swtich. Speak to MPBVR4 and tell him what is happening, Malc will be able to supply you a new switch very cheaply.

KiwiTT
08-04-2007, 09:11 PM
I have had 4 Galants. The VR-4 being the best of the lot. I have my story in the members section.

Brunty
08-04-2007, 11:31 PM
Hi Phil,
The brakes are the first upgrade for most - your AYC issues I'm sure can be sorted very reasonably, MPBVr4 and/or WRD will help out here.

Enjoy the car.

philipbennett25
09-04-2007, 11:55 AM
Thanks to everyone for such a nice welcome, I can tell this forum has assembled a top bunch of enthusiasts and a great group of people. Really looking forward to learning, contributing and meeting new people.

Pic of my car:

http://www.marben.force9.co.uk/cvr4/g1.JPG

Spirit
09-04-2007, 01:41 PM
Hi and welcome Phil......looks like we have received a membership application from you but no payment....?

Payment now received......thanks Phil

Kieran
09-04-2007, 01:53 PM
Mmmm! Tasty - I like those wheels!

Nick Mann
09-04-2007, 04:08 PM
The wheels might be the right size for the relatively easy and inexpensive Brembo upgrade. Less than &#163;500 should buy an ex-evo set of four calipers with nearly new discs and pads. Check out the MLR. Also, the facelift VR4 takes Evo brakes with no modifications (wheels permitting) so if you want more than 4 pot Brembos, them there are many other kits that can bolt straight on!

Your best bet for the AYC is a service and possibly a new pressure switch. bradc has already pointed you towards the members who can possibly help the most. Also, the idea of coming along to Japfest is a good one. Buy an entry ticket or two in the club shop, and you can bring your car onto the stand too!

Whatever you do - I hope your time with the VR4 is fun!

Louis
09-04-2007, 10:26 PM
Cool, have fun with your new toy

philipbennett25
10-04-2007, 01:14 PM
Thanks for all of the Advice. -So 2 more quick ones.

I have managed to get hold of a set of Evo6 calipers/discs/pads from Arnside. The guy tells me that they have only done 2k on an Evo6. Will the calipers need any sort of reconditioning/parts replacement before they go onto the VR4?
Also is it worth getting hold of replacement hoses and where could I get some from, someone suggested parts dept at Xtreme?

Also, has anyone had any experiences with Guildford Mitsubishi (Woking), this is my nearest ralliart service centre and I was intending to get them to look into my intermittant AYC warning light. Wondered if the hot weather was a factor, since it came of during the day after some running, but did not reappear in the cooler evening when I was driving.

Many Thanks for any help

MPBVr4
10-04-2007, 02:14 PM
Another "Bennett" VR4 owner /Welcome2

Nice looking car mate. As far them EVO Brembos go they should be OK to bolt
straight on, mine did with 8K on them. If the paint looks in reasonable condition
they should be OK, If the laquer is peeling it probably means they have been
"cooked" a few times. As for your AYC light, don't let Mitsi talk you into
a new pump. Mostly the system can be corrected by fitting a new switch as mentioned in other posts. pm me if you need one.

Nick Mann
10-04-2007, 10:13 PM
If you have the Evo hoses, you hould be able to fit them straight on. If you want braided hoses then try PMing WRD motorsport. The front calipers take the same hose as the VR4, but the rears need a banjo style fitting at the caliper end, which the VR4 calipers do not have.

timiano
11-04-2007, 02:34 AM
Welcome Phil!

Brembos are very good mate, it was my first upgrade. In fact, I bought them with the car. One thing I would say though, is that the pads are absolutley ****e on them. They lasted about 2 minutes on the ring last weekend before they turned to cake.

Went to the local parts supplier and picked up some carbopad (german make) for &#163;120. Took a bit of breaking in (well, a couple of laps) and they squeal a bit, even copper slipped up.

I'm well impressed. I just need to get my disks off to the machine shop for a skim as they are now warped a little after the abuse.

Tim