PDA

View Full Version : Another V6 single swap done :)

ako
09-04-2007, 10:33 AM
7G / E84 VR4, am running a single evo 4 TD05H

Its nuts to drive - dead below 4500rpm, makes about 3psi by 4750, then by 5000rpm its making 15psi and trying to take off :p . Thats with an electronic controller running the external gate too :S

Think I just have a manifold leak hence the slow spool. That aside, its got a big hotside for a 2L to that wont be helping, along with the long length of manifold. I'm not too fazed - its got a manual box, and has 8000rpm to play with. Plus the kick in the back is damn addictive :afro:

Power wise... Takes 24psi on the twins to reach fuel cut at 7000rpm (which they will only make when freeboosted!). On this turbo, it hits it on 14psi :inquisiti

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/Markyface/donefromright.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/Markyface/donefromtheleft.jpg

Total cost - under $2000 NZD. Did majority of it myself though. No way I'd ever bother with stock turbos again - they may make ok power with the boost through the roof, but the delivery just has no comparison!

Gly
09-04-2007, 10:39 AM
you gonna get a ecu and get it fully tuned?
maybe a mapecu? get rid of that lovely intake bend you have :P

ako
09-04-2007, 10:53 AM
Mapecu = poos, I do ECU installs + tunes for a living now. Wouldn't go near one with a 10ft barge pole for anything more than a fine tune.

Will be getting something decent once funds allow.

Factory ECU has been enough to see me in mid 12's in the past, wont bother with a new one till I can build the rest of the engine + car to cope.

Intake bend... I can cope with the 2hp loss from it. Compared to the setup VR4's come with, anything is an improvement. Put it this way - its no different to the ones which duck down into the guard etc.

Can't make any more power than it is now regardless, will just put time into tidying it up.

Gly
09-04-2007, 10:59 AM
so why do you say the mapecu is poo? what about the map2?

bradc
09-04-2007, 08:07 PM
Mark, if you can make 24psi on the stock turbos, does that mean the 7G has larger turbos than on our car, or they can just build more boost because of the smaller engine size. I know they are TD025's which should indicate they are smaller than our TD03's.

ako
09-04-2007, 08:54 PM
Thats freeboosted - i.e wastegate lines unplugged. Tried it on a car about to die a couple years ago.

They won't even hold 14psi over 5500 rpm when boost is attempted to be controlled by an avc-r or the likes.

CANDEE
09-04-2007, 09:19 PM
Lookin good there Mark.. :) Hows the conversion back to 4wd goin?? :)

Eurospec
10-04-2007, 09:25 AM
Mapecu = poos, I do ECU installs + tunes for a living now. Wouldn't go near one with a 10ft barge pole for anything more than a fine tune.

Why do you say that mate?

I import them, sell them, fit them , map them etc, and whilst it is an artform to generate your initial map, since they dont run target afr mapping like, say an autronic or aem can, then they are easy enough to use.

Whilst the map ecu2 is a new product and so i have not got loads of results, the first gen one has been up and running in loads of applications for a long time. I've never had one go down, unlike products from apexi or greddy, and i have seen fantastic results.

Cheers,

Ben.

v6tt_828
17-04-2007, 05:45 AM
hi ako.. hows the performance on your single conversion?? any photo on your piping for extarctor and location of single T fitted.. tq

ako
17-04-2007, 11:12 AM
Hi Ben,

Personally, the only reason I say it is that in NZ the price of a MAPECU works out to be double that of an S-AFC (which they essentially are) once installed, and not far off that of a complete standalone. They work fine, no question - just personally I'd spend the $$ elsewhere, or on something better.

Aaanyway - The manifolds are very simple - I just used a pair of factory rear manifolds (since they are both top-mount), got the flange lazer cut, and essentially just joined them together. If I did it again, I'd use a turbo I could high-mount (would place it up over the gearbox and have the exhaust duck in behind the engine) - much tidier. Can't high-mount the late model evo turbos due to the design of their exhaust housing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/Markyface/3211507593_0.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/Markyface/turbomounted1.jpg

To drive, its... interesting. I've got all the intake leaks sorted (note to all - you'd be amazed how much the intake manifold gasket leaks), and boost control done properly, its actually very nice and linear to drive. First and second gear give you the definate "slap the seat with your head" feeling when it comes on boost. Third it starts a bit flat, then ramps up very smoothly. Makes useful boost in fourth at 100km/h so its as driveable as the twins in that respect.

First gear - nail it - brief flat spot then you hit the limiter in a hurry
Second gear - nail it from 200rpm - you get maybe a second or so of waiting, then you're at 4500 anyway and the thing winds up and pulls. Shift into third gear and it gets the chance to spool up properly, it literally is as quick through third gear as it is through second! Round the hills I just leave it in second, when you're on the move it wakes up just the same as the stock setup.

People may go on about wanting low RPM boost and response, but they seem to forget that you don't really have need for it under 4000rpm. The bigger turbo has gotten this engine to really start to show its true character - they love to rev, and this one is screaming for another 1000rpm or so :evilgrin: . Where it used to be all low-midrange and tail off up top, it now has a wicked midrange and an even better top end.

And the sound of it with the external wastegate vented to atmo... I thought the V6 had a nice burble before. Now it just screams :D

bradc
17-04-2007, 11:15 AM
get your dyno run done?

ako
18-04-2007, 06:59 AM
Not yet. We're busy at work and my car takes second place over ones which actually pay my wages :P

Will put the sheets up once I get it done. Which at this rate will be some time after I've gotten bored of it and sold it!