PDA

View Full Version : Knock Link - They any good?

Kieran
09-04-2007, 11:42 PM
Once again I am scribbling away at my 'Cunning Plans' easel and I have seen a gap - I could use a way of monitoring knock. I'm not planning anything extreme enough that will mean a knock sensor is a must, but I think it wise to go for a 'belt and braces' approach.

Anyone used them? Are they reliable, or do they report that your engine is in meltdown when it's just got a ticky lash adjuster?

This is the product I'm on about:

http://www.thor-racing.co.uk/Knock_Link_Kit-LNK_KL_KIT.asp

peter thomson
09-04-2007, 11:51 PM
I've read a few things about them and all seem to be good. I think it also depends on where they are fitted and as i remember they can be adjusted depending on how much noise the engine is already producing. There was also somebody on ebay selling a similar thing alot cheaper and had some good feeback on them on some forums I had read

peter thomson
10-04-2007, 12:00 AM
He has his own company now

http://www.roojai.co.uk/products.htm

Eurospec
10-04-2007, 09:15 AM
Hi Kieran,

I have a knock link which i use for tuning on customer cars. Its a good indicator of whats going on and i find it does detect knock accurately.

I have run it parralell with data logging equipments so i can see what the stock ecu picks up vs the knock link and its pretty decent. I have also used it with knock box where i can hear knock and see it with knock link.

Its a decent product if you ask me.

Cheers,

Ben.

Gowf
10-04-2007, 01:27 PM
Once again I am scribbling away at my 'Cunning Plans' easel and I have seen a gap - I could use a way of monitoring knock. I'm not planning anything extreme enough that will mean a knock sensor is a must, but I think it wise to go for a 'belt and braces' approach.

Anyone used them? Are they reliable, or do they report that your engine is in meltdown when it's just got a ticky lash adjuster?

This is the product I'm on about:

http://www.thor-racing.co.uk/Knock_Link_Kit-LNK_KL_KIT.asp

I have that knock link installed. It does have a sensitivity switch, so when you initialy install it you can set it up so as you dont get the general noise coming through giving you false readings.

Only problem i had was finding somewhere to install the microphone. In an ideal world it would be in between the v, but i awas finding that quite impossible to do, so mine is attached to one of the heads. Thing is, if you are getting det then it will most definately pick it up there anyway.

Its a good thing to have, as you soon find out just how good certain super unleaded fuels really are at preventing det. And personaly if you are going to be messing about with afr, its handy to know when youve gone that bit too far.

I also didnt like the look of the box so with the help of a length of cat5 cable the led's are now siting nicely around the boost guage.

Kieran
10-04-2007, 04:09 PM
Thanks Gowf - So does the knock link show a difference between different fuels? Also, how hard was it to adjust so it wasn't giving false readings?

Gowf
11-04-2007, 05:29 PM
Yes it does. I have found that V power is fine, but the likes of esso and BP do give the occasional knock. It also every now and again, and i must stress how rare it is, does display knock when idling. Just lights up then out very quickly and doesnt do it again for weeks but never has it done it under load with v power.

As for adjust the sensitivity, mine is set to just below the maximum. Only when you get up to around 5500revs does it detect valve train noise by lighting the first green light. There is a srew on the back of the box though that you adjust.
Best way to do it is to have someone tap the engine with a spanner or something similar, making sure its not too close to the mic as they are very sensitive. You should get all the lights to come on depending on how hard it is tapped. But provided all the lights are off when your engine is running im sure it would be fine.

But like i said, its a great tool and very easy to install and set up.

Kieran
11-04-2007, 05:44 PM
Okay, that's all I need to know! Thanks.

/Underlines 'Knock Link' on the cunning plan easel....:scholar: