PDA

View Full Version : Hot ATF, cant get a good reading.

RugbyPete
11-04-2007, 09:41 AM
Does anyone else struggle to get a HOT reading on their amsoil ATF?

Cold reads fine, but hot I cant seem to work out if it's right. It seems to either slip off the stick too quick, or give em an odd reading. after about 10 attempts i get the answer i want but i'm then wondering if it was a fluke!

bernmc
11-04-2007, 10:38 AM
Can't say I ever had a problem. You sure you're not on drugs? New glasses?

RugbyPete
11-04-2007, 10:56 AM
Maybe I should be...

Physician
11-04-2007, 10:57 AM
I tend to agree with Pete ...... worst designed dipstick ever manufactured.

I cleaned my dipstick with some emery cloth to give the surface a slightly rougher texture so that the ATF sticks a bit better. But be careful you dont rub off the markings.

Also make sure the engine is hot and running and in Neutral when checking.

richy rich
11-04-2007, 10:58 AM
Pete are you checking it correctly.

1 Get car hot
2 Park on level ground with engine running
3 Go though the gears a few times
4 Put in N

Then check level, the dip stick on these cars are a right pain in the Grass.

A tip look for ATF in the rings it seems to stick better in the groves and in the hot/ cold embossment.

Kieran
11-04-2007, 02:50 PM
I tend to agree with Pete ...... worst designed dipstick ever manufactured.

I cleaned my dipstick with some emery cloth to give the surface a slightly rougher texture so that the ATF sticks a bit better. But be careful you dont rub off the markings.

Now that's a good idea - I might try that!

And yes. The guy who designed the ATF dipstick should be thrown in the same prison as the guy who designed the headlamp clips! /grr

RugbyPete
11-04-2007, 03:01 PM
Ah, I'm not the only one then.

I think the same guy made the 200sx engine oil dipstick, it was about 3 foot long, twisted and bent all the way around the engine, meaning 5 attempts were required, all the other times the whole dipstick was covered in oil!

bernmc
12-04-2007, 08:36 AM
Ah, I'm not the only one then.

I think the same guy made the 200sx engine oil dipstick, it was about 3 foot long, twisted and bent all the way around the engine, meaning 5 attempts were required, all the other times the whole dipstick was covered in oil!

As this is a Mitsubishi forum, I'll thank you for not mentioning a Nee-san ever again. I'm getting tired of upstart members talking about those bloody Nissans - heads are going to roll I tell you :veryangry:

/lol:D/lol

Jimbo
12-04-2007, 04:36 PM
LOL @ Bern /lol

Pete, I've struggled as well - the problem I found was that if the ATF is hot (as it needs to be to get a good reading), it's quite often so thin you just can't quite read it. I used to just make sure the whole thing was covered, and that was always good enough for me.

I don't understand what the cold mark is all about though. I had once lost 2 whole litres of ATF (so 7 instead of 9 left in the TC/sump) and it still read perfectly on the dipstick when cold. Warmed up in the manner Richy suggests is the ONLY way you can realistically check it.

RugbyPete
12-04-2007, 10:24 PM
As this is a Mitsubishi forum, I'll thank you for not mentioning a Nee-san ever again. I'm getting tired of upstart members talking about those bloody Nissans - heads are going to roll I tell you :veryangry:

/lol:D/lol

May aswell be the same group ;) All japs are near as close as the veedubAudi group!/pan

You gotta try the dark side one day, just remember how to come back thats all (I used a roll of string and some small pegs)