PDA

View Full Version : Shooting land in Warwickshire

RugbyPete
11-04-2007, 11:22 AM
I've got the shooting/hunting bug again. My colleagues got a nice high power air rifle and I'm going to buy one aswell, but we are looking for land to shoot on.

does anyone else shoot in the area?

I have farmers I know who can give us fields to go rabbit hunting in, but the terrain is, well, on the 'samey' side, being green, flat, uninteresting, and often quiet.

I'm looking for contacts really (or even land owners!) who may be able to hook me up with some cool shooting land, maybe with a few more trees etc.

There's a range in rugby so target shooting is covered, I'm just looking for regular 'game' for sunday lunch!

I have full shooting insurance up to 5 million, and a full member of the BASA.

Thanks

orionn2o
11-04-2007, 11:50 AM
Awww the poor little bunnies......

Paul Beazer
11-04-2007, 12:45 PM
Expect to be on the receiving end of the animal lover's fury shortly......

bernmc
11-04-2007, 01:07 PM
Bunny boiler!

(Can I have some...?)

One of the chaps I work with occasionally is a part time game keeper. Usually can get me the odd bambi or sweet gamboling lamb.

He's an agency worker, so I only see him occasionally - will try to remember to ask when I see him again. He's based in Peterborough.

RugbyPete
11-04-2007, 01:10 PM
I love animals. If you eat mass, caged, restricted, poor quality 'strap on fat' meat from a supermarket alone, you are in even more of a worse position.

This is shooting and conservation, promoting the rural communities and enabling wildlife to flourish as Britains countryside intended.

For any ignorant posts, please read the following link first to understand the stance of hunting your own 'real' food and conserving local wildlife through population control: http://www.basc.org.uk/content/aim_of_the_game

I expect most farmers and landowners wont actually need to visit these links however, just those living in a town centre who think chicken drumsticks grow out of the ground.

RugbyPete
11-04-2007, 01:18 PM
Bunny boiler!

(Can I have some...?)

One of the chaps I work with occasionally is a part time game keeper. Usually can get me the odd bambi or sweet gamboling lamb.

He's an agency worker, so I only see him occasionally - will try to remember to ask when I see him again. He's based in Peterborough.

Nice. We have a guy here who brings up eggs from his farm, they are delicious! Incredible the difference over a plain old battery egg, unfortunately he lives in somerset so a bit far to hunt game! I still make sure I overpay for the eggs, our farmers need support.

Throbbe
11-04-2007, 01:20 PM
Expect to be on the receiving end of the animal lover's fury shortly......

furry what?!?

Speaking as a veggie hippy type, I wouldn't go shooting myself and I'd prefer it if others didn't*, but I wouldn't get all ranty about it. It's his choice, and there are worse things to worry about.

I'm more amused/vaguely annoyed by people like a work colleague who when presented with a couple of freshly caught fish had to get me to gut them because 'yuck, they've got heads on'. /pan

* Cats are excluded. Cats are evil b**tards, and should be nailed to the nearest fence as an example to others**.

** May contain slight exaggeration for comedic purposes.

RugbyPete
11-04-2007, 01:46 PM
Some intelligent words from our vegetarian friend.

Hell, I'd join in if there was a veggy protest about banning crap meat from supermarkets.

And not to be crude, but If I catch my food, i skin it, pluck it, gut it, and eat it, knowing full well where it came from and who's processed it from field to plate. But if I can't be bothered, the local granny can do it in about 3 minutes flat, a lot faster than me!!

Back to post, if anyone can help much appreciated

bernmc
11-04-2007, 01:56 PM
Hee. My local butcher made the face that goes :o the first time I took a bambi to him for trimming! And my English family made a assortment of horrified noises about eating it...

However, there were noises along the lines of 'mmm these burgers are delicious' when they didn't know what I was feeding them a week or two later :D

We want to get somewhere with a bit of and so we can keep a few of our own animals. Fresh bacon I say - and I still get squawks of 'oh no you couldn't they'd be pets' bla bla bla! Piggin' cityfolk!

Paul Beazer
11-04-2007, 02:03 PM
MMmmmmmm bacon......

Paul Beazer
11-04-2007, 02:04 PM
Have you ever tried free range, corn fed haggis? Its to die for!

RugbyPete
11-04-2007, 02:05 PM
You can't beat it, tasty, locally sources produce - ace.

The city can stick their turkey twizlers and golden arches fake excuse for food.

RugbyPete
11-04-2007, 02:06 PM
Have you ever tried free range, corn fed haggis? Its to die for!

Many a Scotsman has died trying to catch Haggis on those highlands...

:P

Throbbe
11-04-2007, 02:15 PM
Many a Scotsman has died trying to catch Haggis on those highlands...

:P

It's the left legs being shorter than the right. They (haggii, not scotsmen) can get up a fair turn of speed on the hillsides. The trick is to catch them facing the wrong way, then they just fall over.

RugbyPete
11-04-2007, 02:22 PM
It's the left legs being shorter than the right. They (haggii, not scotsmen) can get up a fair turn of speed on the hillsides. The trick is to catch them facing the wrong way, then they just fall over.

Ah yes, but then you're faced with the 'super rolling haggis getaway move' you're only option is to do the same to catch up

And that is, my friend, how so many men die each year...

psbarham
11-04-2007, 08:24 PM
well speaking as a land owner (its the fens so a tad on the flat side) , if it moves shoot it , how many rabbits / pheasants or peasants not too fussy / partridge etc do you want ? we can if asked nicely do a great line in fox burgers , especially if the bog brushed tailed little rodents go near my chickens

Kieran
11-04-2007, 08:30 PM
Shooting is something I've always fancied having a try at. Think I'd prefer to shoot non-living targets though. I could pull the trigger on a pheasant or similar, but I'm not sure I could live with the guilt.:inquisiti

psbarham
11-04-2007, 08:36 PM
Shooting is something I've always fancied having a try at. Think I'd prefer to shoot non-living targets though. I could pull the trigger on a pheasant or similar, but I'm not sure I could live with the guilt.:inquisiti
next time you come down , i'll sort out a collection of toys for you to have a go with :D

steve190
11-04-2007, 08:37 PM
Ah yes, but then you're faced with the 'super rolling haggis getaway move' you're only option is to do the same to catch up

And that is, my friend, how so many men die each year...

If they wore proper protection - instead of skirts with short daggers and big safety pins then there would be less fatalities:inquisiti

Paul Beazer
11-04-2007, 09:18 PM
Theres no challenge with peasants (sorry pHeasants), how about badgers?!!

Kieran
11-04-2007, 09:20 PM
next time you come down , i'll sort out a collection of toys for you to have a go with :D

:afro: /thankyou

big Pete
11-04-2007, 09:27 PM
Try www.airgunbbs.com

There are a lot of helpful bods there, who have lots of land all over the country, you might be lucky, and get a share of a shoot.

I gather that you haven't got your section 1 yet, so good luck with that first, secondly, good luck with finding land. You need land, before you can get the licence. That's if by what you meen by "high powered" I mean more than 12ft lbs in power!

Hope that helps

ATB

Pete

g6acb
11-04-2007, 10:11 PM
Theres no challenge with peasants (sorry pHeasants), how about badgers?!!

Unfortunatley Badgers have the law on their side.... I blame Wind in the Willows

My Galants kill count is currently 3 Pheasants, 1 Badger, 2 Rabbits, 1 Bat, 8 Billion Flies, 1 tag team on a fox with my neighbours Isuzu and a road of toads..... who needs guns!

The worst smelling / stubborn stain substance known to man is toad splatter :scholar:

The joys of living in the countryshire!

Lillywotsername
21-04-2007, 09:12 AM
Speaking as a veggie hippy type
Now this has really thrown me.....

Just started the famous WRD sausage butties and it suddanly dawned on me that i thought I read somewhere that you were a veggie. Checked the freezer ( twice) and NOOOOOOOO my small veggie female child has eaten all the quarn sausages./pan /pan /pan /pan

Ooops.... Note to self..... have veggie type sausages in in future.