PDA

View Full Version : found this GReddy thing on my car !!??

stuey
11-04-2007, 07:20 PM
It's apparently a Greddy 'Data link unit unit' (turbo), which I found a while back but never traced it back. Looks like the white thing in the picture below.
After the braided hoses to my oil cooler split a week or two ago I found two sensors coming from the oil filter plate, 1 for pressure & 1 for temp I presume, and also I have a block with sensor in my radiator water hose with i presume a temp sensor too. The other day Pezza spotted a T piece in the vacuum hose and relay I presume for boost.
But there is nothing else inside the car, just the Data link unit under the dash, how would I connect it and to what? I think it's for a multiple electronic gauge thing, or emanage maybe ?? It all looks very professionally installed... Ideas...???

bradc
11-04-2007, 08:06 PM
the datalink will be the control box for the gauge, a lot of japanese companies use a control box to connect all the gauges together.

Kieran
11-04-2007, 08:12 PM
Brad's Spot on.

As AncientofMu will testify, the SVA is about eleventy kazillion times more stringent than an MOT and there are lots of stupidly anal rules - Including a whole section on dashboard hazards. I suspect that when your car got on the boat in Japan it would have had a couple of Greddy Gauges mounted on the dash, probably in 'stick on' pods. Problem is that these gauges *could* fly loose in the event of a smash.... So they're classed as an unsecured hazard in an SVA test.

And this explains why there are often so many 'brand name' tuning bits on Ebay - people know they often won't pass muster, so they'll remove 'em and flog 'em... Or even worse they get nicked at the docks!

I imagine that if you purchased a couple of gauges, they'll plug straight in and work perfectly, provided the Greddy controller's not had it's wiring loom cut.

stuey
11-04-2007, 08:52 PM
I hoped this t'was the case, so it looks like i can have boost, oil press & temp, water temp gauges. No marks from anything ever being fitted though which is what confused me. No odd wires hanging from data unit but can't see anywhere to plaug in, will have another look in daylight.
(Typical, just mounted my Din mounted boost and oil pressure gauges too, which i'm sure won't work with Greddy thing.)
I've heard of numerous bits going missing during shipping, didn't know SVA was so stringent.
cheers for help as always chaps.

djb160
12-04-2007, 08:56 AM
Problem is that these gauges *could* fly loose in the event of a smash.....

I can tell you right now they don't come off at about 50km/h