PDA

View Full Version : Good shops ? ? ?

crispybacon
11-04-2007, 07:28 PM
Just got me car back on the road after having the gearbox reconditioned. Now i wana upgrade my brake's, so can people recommend good reasonable shops for callipers, disc's and pads etc etc. . On or off line, would like web address's and phone numbers.

Cheers

Chris.

Kieran
11-04-2007, 08:23 PM
Hey Chris.

Loads of choice. Depends what you want really.

Sticking with standard calipers and discs, but upgrading, there's www.motorsportworld.co.uk, www.needforspeed.co.uk, errr.... Rossini discs and caliper refurbs can be had from FittaPart - 01623 658041 - Ask for Martin and see what price he can sort on a Set of Rossini discs. Carbotech pads on standard VR-4 calipers stop the car so well you can get internal damage - And they're favoured by Evo owners too.... Contact 'TheTyrant' on here.:scholar:

If you want bigger.... Well, Depends on your model - if it's a facelift (1998 on) then EVO brembos become an option. You can fit them to pre-facelifts too, but it's more work and more expensive as you need new hub carriers!

Frankly, there's loads of places and choices. Have a search on the forums - you'll get lots of results and see what floats our collective boats!:afro:

bradc
11-04-2007, 08:25 PM
pads are probably the easiest upgrade to do for a reasonable price and will greatly improve your stopping performance, anything above that starts to get expensive.

Kenneth
11-04-2007, 11:00 PM
pads are probably the easiest upgrade to do for a reasonable price and will greatly improve your stopping performance, anything above that starts to get expensive.

I must be going insane... Agreeing with you twice in one morning... MUMMY!? (Joanne is out for calling me insane sorry...)

Er... back to the point on hand...

What stops your car is the friction between the tyres and the tarmac, so upgrade tyres to increase your max POSSIBLE stopping speed.

Better pads are a simple and cheap way to get very good stopping power. Bigger brakes have 2 benefits
a) increased brake disk diameter places more braking torque on the hub. This is explained using the leverage principle.

b) bigger brake pads/disks can disperse the heat more effectively, keeping your brakes within their peak operating temp for longer.

Bigger brakes are good, no question. However I think people often underrate the capability of the standard brakes given good friction material.

bradc
12-04-2007, 07:42 AM
I was thinking about your car and how well it stopped with those pads on it. I suggested those first simply because Chris has a prefacelift and it's a bit more difficult to upgrade to bigger brakes on those.

crispybacon
12-04-2007, 06:06 PM
The brake's on it at the mo are ok but when braking from about 100mph it just feels like i have 2 stand on the brakes to stop it,, i want it 2 stop quick & hard.
Think im going to buy a full brake system caliper's, pads & discs. money is no object im going to make this the best looking VR4 around.

Chris

Kieran
12-04-2007, 06:12 PM
money is no object im going to make this the best looking VR4 around.

Chris

OOOhhh - Sounds exciting - Make sure you keep us updated then, and when it's all done, bring it to shows for us to drool over then!:afro: