PDA

View Full Version : PIT BCU+ Boost Controller

AderC
12-04-2007, 09:52 PM
After much searching on the subject I bit the bullet and went for an electronic boost controller rather than the manual option, but still decided on the cheap option and went for the PIT BCU+ (http://www.performance-trends.com/boost_controllers.htm). Had it installed by WRD at the weekend, and there were a couple of minor problems with the kit provided (insufficient hose and wiring, and lack of mounting bracket for the solenoid) but otherwise installation went OK.

I've now had time to have a proper go at setting the unit up but am having some weird stuff going on. The adjustable settings are as follows:

Set Boost - the target boost level in psi (separate LO and HI settings).
Gain - controls how quickly wastegate opens and closes (0-100% where 100% is quickest opening/closing, and there are separate gains for the LO and HI boost). The manual says this should be set low and gradually increased until the destination psi is reached.
Start Boost - psi below Set Boost at which the wastegate opens (e.g. if set boost is 9psi and start boost is 2psi, wastegate starts to open at 7psi).
Warning level and limiter (I've set these to 14.5psi and 90% of set boost respectively).

I've temporarily set the high boost to 0.00psi/zero gain, which as I understand it will effectively turn the unit into a boost gauge and not control the boost. In high gear, uphill at WOT I get stable boost readings from 5.9-6.1 psi which I assume is stock boost on my pre-facelift auto Leggy.

I've currently got the low boost set at 9psi, and I have tried runs up and down a nearby dual carriageway (up being uphill!), adjusting gain at 5% intervals, but I can't get a stable boost level above the stock boost level. The best I've managed is to hold 8-9psi on partial throttle in 4th, but at WOT the boost spikes to 11-12psi and then falls back to ~6psi. Even weirder, I've set the gain to 20% and the start boost to 0.5psi (i.e. wastegate shouldn't start to open until 8.5psi) and in high gear at WOT the stable boost obtained drops to 3.9-4.1psi. I didn't think it was possible to go lower than stock with a boost controller but I seem to have managed it!

Anybody got any idea WTFIGO??

Cheers,

Ade

bernmc
12-04-2007, 10:06 PM
How many ports did your solenoid have? If three, are you sure the correct two are being used?

The 5.9-6.1 psi is your wastegate spring tension. ie with no boost control, the wastegate opens at 6 psi.

I'd start with gain 10%; target 9psi; start boost 3psi.

Wodjno
12-04-2007, 10:32 PM
With all settings at standard, do your boost characteristics act as normal ?

If it is.. ?? I wouldn't bother messing around wth start boost yet !!

Just set your target boost say 12psi and gain to 10... See how that go's.. /yes

Also if your using the Safety limiter ?? I would switch that off as well for now ?yes

AderC
12-04-2007, 11:05 PM
When on standard settings the car seems to behave as expected. Will try upping the boost further tomorrow and see what happens. Didn't really want to take it too far until I'd got a low-ish boost setting sorted first.

Still can't get my head round how I'm getting lower-than-stock boost though?!

Cheers,

aDe

AderC
16-04-2007, 12:17 PM
Well I've upped the boost to 12psi over the weekend and I'm now totally addicted...

I'm still having the wierd thing going on where when I run stock boost and go to WOT in 5th, I get stable ~6psi, but when the BCU controls things the boost rises intially to ~8psi, but then falls back off to a stable ~4psi (i.e. below stock). I've double-checked the connections (not that I doubted Nutter_John's expert installation!!) and everything looks OK to me. It holds boost OK under partial throttle in 3rd/4th. Anyone got any bright ideas as to what's going on?

aDe

Nutter_John
17-04-2007, 10:56 AM
Let me know when your up near the garage at a weekend and I will have a look see ,

Need to know whats wrong with it as I was going to reconmend that uint to another customer but may hold off now until we know yours is working

Wodjno
17-04-2007, 11:17 AM
Well I've upped the boost to 12psi over the weekend and I'm now totally addicted...

I'm still having the wierd thing going on where when I run stock boost and go to WOT in 5th, I get stable ~6psi, but when the BCU controls things the boost rises intially to ~8psi, but then falls back off to a stable ~4psi (i.e. below stock). I've double-checked the connections (not that I doubted Nutter_John's expert installation!!) and everything looks OK to me. It holds boost OK under partial throttle in 3rd/4th. Anyone got any bright ideas as to what's going on?

aDe

So when you run 12psi ! Is it holding ?? Or is it rising and falling down to 4psi ??

Are you running the stock BOV ?? Check the vacuum hose that connects to it.. I had the same issues when i 1st got a boost controller.. I could not hold any boost over standard. Mine had snapped off completely..

AderC
17-04-2007, 09:00 PM
With current gain setting (60%) I can hold it between 10 and 11 psi at part throttle but can't hold a steady 12 psi (although it spikes up to over 14 when I floor it). I know the gain still needs setting correctly, but need to sort out why it's underboosting at WOT in 5th before I can do this (as I understand it).

John - can't make it over to WRD this weekend but possibly weekend after.

Cheers,

aDe

AderC
08-05-2007, 08:45 PM
The BCU+ seems to have settled down a bit. I did the altitude correction reset on it the other day and this actually seems to have made some difference. I've got it set at 13psi target, 2psi start boost and 75% gain, with 14.5psi warning. It's now holding well above stock boost at WOT in 5th. Not quite holding target boost yet so some fiddling with the gain still to do - only prob is I'm only getting chance to do it in rush hour traffic so I might just leave it til the long run down to Japfest.

aDe

Kieran
08-05-2007, 09:56 PM
What other mods have you got on the car Ade? Reason I ask is 13psi is 0.9 bar - Last time I saw your car it looked totally factory, and with the standard exhaust, cat and intake filter, I would be surprised to see it hold 0.9 steady?

AderC
08-05-2007, 10:12 PM
Yup it's standard, but the zorst is soon to be changed as it's held together with Blu-tac and Elastoplast, and will probably change the panel filter for K&N or similar at the same time.

I'm holding a steady 10.5-11psi (which makes a hell of a difference anyway!)

aDe

Kieran
08-05-2007, 10:21 PM
Probably explains it, especially if you've still got the Crap-o-lytic converter on there.

I expect it'll hold much easier with a decat and exhaust and better filter. Just be prepared to adjust again as you may see a bit of boost spiking - you'll almost certainly have to wind down the gain.

AderC
06-06-2007, 08:12 PM
The BCU+ is now fully functioning. Was getting p!$$ed off with it not holding boost so I got hold of a boost tee with the intention of plumbing this in and using the BCU+ as a boost gauge only. Wasn't til I had all the piping off to install the tee and could follow the vacuum hose connections that I noticed the pressure port on the solenoid was connected to the actuators. Switched 'em round and all is now OK. D'oh!

Holding boost well, spiking a bit but haven't had much chance to adjust the gain etc. yet, so still reserving final judgment.

aDe

AderC
08-06-2007, 12:35 PM
I'm actually quite impressed by the BCU+ now (bear in mind I've never used an EBC before so I've nothing to compare with). Got HI boost set to 12psi and it holds this steadily at WOT in 4th/5th. Spikes a bit on gearchanges in the low gears, but nothing to worry about (last boost showed 15.4psi when I pulled up at work this morning and I did a couple of blasts from the lights on the way).

One very minor niggle with my unit is that it's not recording Peak Boost (highest boost recorded since last reset), but it does record Last Boost (i.e. highest boost since ignition was last turned on) so I can live without the peak boost function. Have e-mailed their tech support guy who promptly replied suggesting I exchange the unit (he's not come across this fault before), but I can't be ar$ed cos otherwise it's working fine.

Fits very nicely in the hole where the clock usually lives (I've got it packed in with that non-slip rubber mat stuff), but wouldn't fit in the coin-holder thingy like the some of the other EBC's do. I prefer it in the clock's position anyway as you can keep your eyes on the road and on the boost gauge!

Gone from a "don't touch it with a bargepole" to a "well worth the £140".

aDe

Marklar
19-11-2007, 12:04 PM
Good to hear its worth it!! I am currently installing an HKS EBC but still have standard BOV so hope to replace that before playn with the boost too much.

AderC
19-11-2007, 07:52 PM
I'm actually using it as a boost gauge at the mo with a turbosmart boost tee. Had a new exhaust a few weeks ago so the BCU+ needs setting up from scratch again. I've got an EVO FQ300 BOV off Ebay so I'm waiting til I've fitted that before I mess about with the BCU+ boost settings again. Don't want to have to go through the set-up process again twice!

Must comment that the Turbosmart boost tee does work very well though - holds boost well and doesn't spike too much. The only thing I miss about the BCU+ is the in-car adjustment!

aDe

AderC
28-03-2008, 07:17 PM
Finally got round to fitting the FQ300 BOV I got via ebay in November while the oil was being changed. WHAT a difference! Any criticisms I had about tuning the BCU+ can now go out of the window as I've got both the LO and HI settings more or less there within 50 miles of driving to and from work. Boost builds up nicely and holds well too. Bit of tweaking still to do as it spikes a bit when dropping by more than 1 gear but is fine from a standing start.

aDe

Kieran
28-03-2008, 09:51 PM
Shows how rubbish the stock BOV is, eh! ;)

shrew
28-03-2008, 10:06 PM
On that subject...

ive had a blitz vta on hard pipe fitted for the last few months to try out before upping the boost levels, and instantly felt that it was stronger through the midrange and ultimately quicker through the gears.

so likely evidence that my stock recirc valve was already weakening i think, but without any real noticeable defecit or symptom.

just goes to show that sometimes fixing what you don't THINK is broke, still can be very worthwhile.

just want to get some more boost through, NOW!!!

cheers

shrew

ҢдщҚ
18-08-2008, 03:32 PM
Has anyone got an install manual or anything for this boost controler. I cant find anything, the websites not up atm and no reference to it anywere. I would be most greatful if somebody could shout me a copy ;-). Thanku thanku hehe..

Also any updates on how this device is working. I guess as no updates you have'nt ripped the unit out ? How's it going day to day driving ?. Only thing is shrew's car is up for sale and if i buy it i get this with it and i am trying to get as much info as possible.. .. .

I really need that install manual. There was never an instruction manual as far as i am aware !

Thanks in advance..
Steve...

infini_GTR
19-08-2008, 01:11 AM
are you guys talking about these EBC's ?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Performance/Other/auction-171676862.htm

ҢдщҚ
19-08-2008, 07:51 AM
Thats the one, Only i am refering to the bcu+. Not sure of the difference in specification though.. .. .

AderC
19-08-2008, 08:12 PM
Hawk - PM me your e-mail address and I'll send the PDF (having probs uploading it to my web space)

aDe

infini_GTR
19-08-2008, 11:10 PM
i installed one of these in my legnum last week. .

i have to say i was a bit sceptical at first - price is quite a bit lower than other EBC's - have driven with it in for a week now and have nothing but good things to say :)

AderC
20-08-2008, 06:49 PM
Hawk - you should have the PDF in your hotmail account.

Note that this unit makes a rather nice clock replacement!

uploaded/1988/1219254521.jpg

aDe

ҢдщҚ
21-08-2008, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the manual '.pdf', spent the most of the evening last night looking over it. Very easy i think to install, however i may struggle with the setup, shall see. I think your unit placement is perfect, looking at the pics you kindly uploaded. Thanks for the inspiration, and thats got to be THE place to put it for sure ! I think this unit is very good value !! For anyone who is interested i posted links below for purchasing/pricing.

UK stockists £140
http://turborevs.org.uk/Electronic%20Boost%20Controller.htm

US Overseas Stockists $339.97
http://www.sportcompactonly.com/Boost-Controller/Forced-Induction/Performance/performance-parts_c-160_pl-4115.htm

Keep you posted.. .. .

Steve.. .. .

infini_GTR
23-09-2008, 01:12 AM
AderC - any chance you could post all of your settings for for hi / low boost levels - hi / low gain etc....

im having a few issues with spiking at the moment and thinking its probably to do with my settings

Cheers

shrew
23-09-2008, 08:28 AM
Hi GTR

i may be able to interject here and just add my two penneth.

i still haven't fitted mine to my VR4 but have done on my 300zx, and once dialled in, FAB!

My Z spiked all over the place, but was very fast too, but no amount of adjustment seemed to achieve any smopothing whatsoever.

I rechecked everything, and found that one of the pipes had come adrift (i didn't do the plumbing!) and this meant that the wastegate actuator had no vacuum feed, so remained permanently closed, and so the turbo was allowed to just boost to its hearts content until the safety overboost let go but this must be pretty high cos i never really felt what i would expect too, and had spiked figures of up to 27psi of boost recorded whilst test driving, and i was only targetting for 16/17!

Once reconnected, i started again with the gain and boost settings, and tried for the following start point.

Lo-boost = 13psi
Warn = 14psi
Start = 8psi
Limit = 85%
Gain = started at 30, increased by increments of 5 until smoothed out.

Hi-boost = 17psi
Warn = 18psi
Start = 8psi
Limit = 85%
Gain = started at 30, increased by increments of 5 until smoothed out.

This is how i started, and have fine tuned from here, and on the Z which runs parallel turbos just the same way as the VR4 does, this seemed to have worked very very well so far.

Every motor is different, so don't assume that someone elses figures will be a cure for yours, so may be an idea to start trying gain settings below theres just in case you missed it already!

Good Luck, it will be worthwhile.

Cheers

Shrew

infini_GTR
24-09-2008, 12:46 AM
Good Luck, it will be worthwhile.

Cheers bud - info much appriciated

have run expensive EBC's on many other cars but thought id give the cheapie a go this time :) seems to be a pretty good so far.

are you able to give any specifics on how you plumbed it up - which hoses where etc... - my boost guage and the unit seem to read totally different figures on boost